Gransnet forums

AIBU

Christmas tree conflict!

(88 Posts)
Anne58 Sat 14-Dec-13 16:40:43

Hello all,

I would value some opinions on this rather trivial issue!

We usually have a real tree, but this year can't go down that route. However, we have all the decorations (all silver, plain lights, uber tasteful!) and a fake tree up in the loft. This was bought five years ago, we used it the first year but then went back to real.

The tree is in 3 sections, and when put together is around 6ft 6 ins.

I am proposing that we put it up, but with just the 2 top bits.

Mr P doesn't want to bother tchsad says that he just wants Christmas over and done with, with as few reminders of the festive season as possible.

I appreciate that he is feeling down, and this will be a cut back Christmas, but so what? We have each other and a Lidl 3 bird roast in the freezer! (I know others have said that they weren't impressed, but we had one last year and found it suited us and was good value for money) and with the Morrisons tokens (thanks to those that supplied the missing ones!) we can buy the usual gammon/bacon joint thingy to apply curses to on Christmas Eve tchgrin

I have tried to convince him that NOT putting the tree up is akin to giving in, waving the white flag etc, but he remains unconvinced.

It will not cost a bean to put it up, and I think we would regret it if we didn't.

Your thoughts, please?

PS One year when we were going to be away for Christmas (we spent it in Bavaria!) I suggested that we didn't bother with a tree, and he almost pouted! Until we met, he hadn't had a Christmas tree for years, despite his ex-wife being German.

Anne58 Sun 15-Dec-13 18:53:54

Hello all, a pretty happy Phoenix here!

I have just caught Mr P, glass of Lidl cider in hand, going back into the sitting room to have another look at the tree! (Our usual tradition is a glass of sherry whilst putting up the tree, and a glass of port whilst taking it down, but different times call for different measures)

In my eyes, it looks gorgeous, but no doubt there may be some that think it looks like a fairies wedding cake! Don't care! We have a tree and Mr P admits that he's glad we bothered! (At one point he did say he thought there were too many lights, as we used the same amount even though the tree is smaller. I pointed out to him that it is impossible to have too many lights!)

We have a very good fake ficus benjamina in the sitting room which always has to go into the hall at Christmas, last year I used a spare set of lights on it. Did it again whilst himself was doing the lights on the tree. He came out and said "Oh good, glad you've done that again, it looked lovely last year"

So pleased!

Ariadne Sun 15-Dec-13 18:08:45

Thank you, tiggy! I keep wondering about the tree, but while ever DGC are around, I have to keep doing it. We now live near DD (48) with whom I bought the very tacky fairy when she (DD) was three, and she still comments on it..

Good for you, Phoenix!

tiggypiro Sun 15-Dec-13 18:04:13

Well done Phoenix !! Here's to more power to your elbow !

I have done the twiggy painted branch thing and thought it looked good but this year DD and 2 DGS are coming and I was told I needed a tree. I bought a cheap plastic one from Tesco and after spending some time putting it together I think it will pass muster by the 4yr old.

A very happy Christmas - however and wherever you are - to one and all

Tegan Sun 15-Dec-13 17:36:01

Oh heck; I've just found a very small, sweet Gisela Graham wreathe that I must have bought since last Christmas [it's reduced]. Can't remember buying it [slippery slope territory]. Wonder what else I'm going to find in the 'Christmas cupboard'?

merlotgran Sun 15-Dec-13 17:23:24

This is how you can cheat Tegan
Cheap as chips tchgrin

Nonu Sun 15-Dec-13 17:10:32

Tegan Dogwood is stems that go a lovely colour at this time of the ., usually red . I have one growing in my garden , it is beautiful ,
I think you be able to buy them from florists !

Elegran Sun 15-Dec-13 17:08:36

Sounds as though you are getting a result there, Phoenix. Well done.

My artificial tree has has to get a bit of a splint too. It is in two sections,which fit together quite well, but the top bit of the top section (where I would put the fairy if I had a fairy) is sort of grafted onto the main trunk, and the grafting has failed with age. It has gone from needing a plastic bag wire tie just to steady it when it first got wobbly to having a green plastic cocktail stirrer bracing it to now getting fuse wire twisted firmly round it and concealed by strategically placed tinsel.

Trouble is, with the extra bit fixed in place it is too tall for its plastic carry-bag, so it has to be de-splinted for storage and have A & E treatment each year.

Anne58 Sun 15-Dec-13 16:58:15

bags with the right branch it does look lovely. As mentioned, I use a silver bucket, and I mean the ordinary shiny ones in hardware shops! Cheap and effective.

Newsflash!!!! He is currently putting on the second set of lights!

We decided just to use the top 2 sections, which come to about 5ft. (I had forgotten the tree is actually around 7ft! tchshock So doing it this way means we don't have to move the Pembroke table, which now lives in the sitting room after being moved from the hall to accommodate a rather handsome chest of many drawers that Mr P bought earlier in the year. tchconfused but also a bit tchgrin

I may have to exercise restraint though, as being smaller, it could end up as the most over decorated tree in the village.

We've already had a minor incident with the star, but with the aid of a chopstick and some plastic bag ties it's sorted!

Tegan Sun 15-Dec-13 15:57:38

I've been wanting to make a wreathe this year. Supposedly I need to find something called 'dogwood' that is to be found everywhere confused as a base.

thatbags Sun 15-Dec-13 15:13:06

Great idea, that branch thing. Since we have two fallen trees in the garden right now, I shall don my waterproofs and go search for a suitable branch.

Stansgran Sun 15-Dec-13 14:28:32

@JaneR and Phoenix I have done far worse than ground up wort in muesli. Hot chocolate laced with rum or whisky disguises most things and seems very caring to onlookers. Is there an evil grin emoticon with a Christmas hat on?

Elegran Sun 15-Dec-13 12:24:56

As do you!

Anne58 Sun 15-Dec-13 11:41:36

What excellent taste you have!

Elegran Sun 15-Dec-13 11:34:20

Keep an eye on that stepladder. It is aiming for the rooftop, to wait for Santa.

I have just posted on another thread about our first 1963 Christmas tree - a large branch painted white and hung with minimalist baubles. I must have been synchronised with you!

Anne58 Sun 15-Dec-13 11:17:03

One year (I can't remember why) we went out and cut a large bare branch, it was practically a mini tree, about 5ft high, sprayed it with white paint, wedged it in a silver bucket and decorated it with plain lights and silver baubles (no tinsel though) It looked gorgeous! I did suggest doing that again, but he knows how long it will take me to find the "right" branch!

PS The step ladder has now migrated to the landing! tchgrin

Riverwalk Sun 15-Dec-13 10:42:42

Only you know your husband Phoenix - as long as you're sure that the whole lighted and decorated tree won't tip him over the edge, so to speak, then I'd put it up as it will cheer you up and maybe DH too.

As an alternative to the tree, something I did one year when going to be away for most of Xmas week, was to put lights and tinsel, greenery, etc around the mirror and a large plant - it all looked very festive in an understated way. tchsmile

janerowena Sun 15-Dec-13 10:30:50

Yes, if the tree makes you happy you have to do it, you can't let them drag you down with them otherwise things get really bad. I probably shouldn't be leading you astray but grinding the tablets with sugar is how I add it to his muesli, it's not the easiest stuff to disguise! But desperate measures for desperate times. He seems a little cheerier today, can't think why...

Elegran Sun 15-Dec-13 10:02:59

Even stranger how the tree is going to migrate through a closed trapdoor and down the stairs.

Sewsilver Sat 14-Dec-13 23:45:58

Phoenix I really admire your spirit in the face of so many difficulties. Putting the tree up seems to be a symbol of hope for you even if Mr P isn't able to appreciate it. Strange how your step ladder has migrated itself.

hummingbird Sat 14-Dec-13 23:40:09

It's your Christmas too, Phoenix! There's a point where you have to accept that he's the one with the problem, and so your own thing! I don't think I'd have the patience to pander to that behaviour ( but admittedly, I don't know how bad the consequences might be!). smile

Ana Sat 14-Dec-13 23:12:55

I have taken it in the past, and I think it does work well for mild depression (and possibly SAD). It can reduce the effectiveness of warfarin, but as that isn't a problem in MrP's case I'd suggest getting some in liquid form and putting a few drops in his tea/coffee!

janerowena Sat 14-Dec-13 23:08:45

Maybe the tree will cheer him up?

I take the St.John's Wort, I should have said, I get dreadful SAD and it doesn't afffect me in any way. I think it only affects a few people. Yes, to the curry as previously suggested grin but he might get a bit suspicious if he has it every day! One year I did give him an ultimatum, take it or else, because he was unbearable. That was how I know it works. But when he said that it affected his work I knew that the only thing left was to give it to him for a few days when he gets really bad. Some people say it takes two weeks before it takes effect - not so in our family. Half an hour. And not addictive.

Anne58 Sat 14-Dec-13 22:56:56

PS I have just begun stage 1 of a cunning plan!

While he is engrossed in a film, I have just been up to have a bath, and somehow (innocent face emoticon) managed to take the step ladder from the cupboard under the stairs and put it in the spare room!

Anne58 Sat 14-Dec-13 22:53:19

Not much danger of a bad reaction this time of year, Elegran tchsmile

Elegran Sat 14-Dec-13 22:50:43

I was right. St Johns Wort can make your skin sensitive to sunlight.