Gransnet forums

AIBU

Competitions

(46 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Soutra Sat 15-Feb-14 15:04:38

.....to wonder?
The competition to win a Forest Holiday has a very tempting prize. We went on a Forest Holiday with DD, SIL and DGSs last summer and it was very upmarket with superbly furnished and equipped cabins a peaceful setting and the antithesis of the "hearty sporty holiday camp" I had been dreading! grin.
So should I be suprised when reading entries on the thread to find that out of 57 posts , half are from what I would consider regular contributors or at least members in "blue" with a profile page, and half from names I have never seen before.
Would it be churlish to discern an ulterior motive? hmm hmm

Ana Sat 15-Feb-14 15:10:31

It happens on every competition thread, Soutra. I think some people only join Gransnet to enter them! hmm

Charleygirl Sat 15-Feb-14 15:22:23

I agree, I have never seen the vast majority of names before and I think that many only log on once a month. Many do not have the grace to say thanks when they win something.

KatyK Sat 15-Feb-14 15:45:38

I thought it was just me thinking that!

MarionHalcombe Sat 15-Feb-14 16:03:56

Disclaimer - I joined last week after discovering I'm going to be a gran. I've been on mumsnet 12 years and hope to love my time on here as much as I've loved my time on there!

I've entered.

Don't judge everyone! smile

shysal Sat 15-Feb-14 16:05:46

I have only just found this thread. I have posted a similar comment on the Forest Holiday thread itself. I am always delighted to see a name I recognise on the 'won anything' thread.
I think they sign up for the newsletter and enter the competitions from there. They are missing out on our wonderful company!

Aka Sat 15-Feb-14 16:07:21

I have friends in FB who never post. I suspect a lot of people read threads but say nought. If anyone who has never posted but on reading this thread could just write a one word post it might be very enlightening.

It doesn't help when they are called 'lurkers' though as this smacks of dirty old men in raincoats. Some of the wisest people keep schtum.

Aka Sat 15-Feb-14 16:08:25

Which doesn't say much for the rest of us hmm

Galen Sat 15-Feb-14 16:10:21

Welcome Marionh

Galen Sat 15-Feb-14 16:11:50

shysal perhaps we're too scary for them?hmm

kittylester Sat 15-Feb-14 16:12:15

I agree. I have won some good prizes on gn including a holiday so I shouldn't complain but I find it irritating that people come on for just one thing, whatever it is! grin

Nonnie Sat 15-Feb-14 16:13:52

Well I go off for weeks at a time so lots of people won't know my name. I don't enter all competitions and didn't even know there was somewhere to look and see how many people have entered. I haven't entered that on, should?

kittylester Sat 15-Feb-14 16:16:04

But you have joined and parttaken, as it were, Marion smile

Soutra Sat 15-Feb-14 17:05:43

Welcome Marionh, I actually discounted members whose names were "blue" therefore having a profile page and if I had seen you, Nonnie I'd probably have recognised the name! I remember you wining a holiday kitty - where did you go and how was it? I am always very happy to see a name I recognise winning something - I have had the occcasional book and knitted bunting kit (!) but have never won a major prize. (hint, hint grin]

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 15-Feb-14 17:07:21

Hi all.

We do have lots of people who read the threads but don't post, as well as people who choose to name change for the competitions for whatever reason. There's also some who would rather email us to say "thanks" rather than say on the the thread, and we're happy for people to do as we always love to hear from you.

All winners are selected at random in line with our competition rules, here so please do continue to enter them - if you're not in it you can't win it my cheesy line of the day .

We're still small so the odds are in your favour smile.

Grannyknot Sat 15-Feb-14 17:17:40

Loads of people do nothing else but enter competitions on all sorts of websites. Gransnet sets out the terms and conditions and as long as those are adhered too, good luck to anyone who enters. It's a free world smile

I've won some delightful prizes via Gransnet. Thanks again!

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 15-Feb-14 17:18:29

Oops, apologies. We made an slight error when we said people name change. blush Our competition rules abide by the Laws relating to competitions (all winners are selected at random).

Gagagran Sat 15-Feb-14 17:43:18

I won a holiday at Warners on GN and we had a wonderful break celebrating my 70th birthday so I feel a bit inhibited from entering another competition with a holiday prize! But if I can win one so can you - get entering!

kittylester Sat 15-Feb-14 17:49:39

Soutra we are going to north Wales later in the year and really looking forward to it sunshine

glassortwo Sat 15-Feb-14 18:29:46

I won a hotel voucher ages ago and we are going up to Loch Fyne in March, but I have won some fantastic prizes on GN, thank you GN.
Good luck to all the GNetters who dont post but enter the competitions.

Ana Sat 15-Feb-14 18:35:44

I notice your name is not 'blue', Soutra! confused

matson Sat 15-Feb-14 18:50:20

soutra I have been a member of gransnet for a couple of years now and visit the forums every few days, the reason I stopped posting was snidey comments and judgemental people.
Now because of your thread I wont comment again for awhile and possibly others will feel the same. It is up to Gransnet to set the guidelines and for everyone to follow.

kittylester Sat 15-Feb-14 20:29:17

Matson I remember seeing you post before and hope you continue to! Soutra posts on lots of threads and I dont think the point really is about who is blue but about who joins in with Gransnet in the broadest sense! smile

Ana Sat 15-Feb-14 20:38:08

Of course, kitty, but Soutra did make a point about counting the 'blue' names as well as those she recognised as being 'regular contributors' to the threads.

I must admit I did think it odd that GNHQ would allow members to change their usernames just to enter competitions, until that was quickly taken back!

Cressida Sun 16-Feb-14 12:53:36

I think it happens on lots of sites. People just join for the competitions and never make any other contribution.

I'm a member of a forum that shows the number of posts people have made and it's very irritating when someone wins with their first post when others who entered have made thousands of posts.

PS I've just changed my settings so I've gone 'blue' now. I'd filled in my profile when I joined but had never made it 'public'.