Gransnet forums

AIBU

lonely

(35 Posts)
sheilaR Thu 20-Feb-14 17:18:14

Hi I am 66 years of age quite outgoing but I hardly know anyone that I am close to.
Over the years I have had lots of problems and as I have got older I am alot more easy going than I used to be I guess this is why my friendships disintigrated over the years
My son took his own life and I was wondering if there is anyone else local to Poulton - le-Fylde Lancashire with whom I could meet for chats etc
I love gardening and going around garden centres and I miss doing these things with someone else.
Also I was in care so if anyone has this in common with me that would be great.
With losing my son it has left me feeling a lack of confidence

sheila

Marelli Thu 20-Feb-14 17:25:52

sheilaR, welcome to Gransnet. smile I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that being able to chat with us on here will help you a bit and perhaps give you a chance to meet up with a few of us who are local to your area.
I'm sure you'll find a warm welcome coming your way. It's good to have you with us. flowers

sunseeker Thu 20-Feb-14 17:28:37

So sorry to hear about your problems, unfortunately I don't live anywhere near you but I am sure some GNs do. I live alone following the death of my DH and have no children and no immediate family of my own close by (they all buggered off to Australia - was it something I said!). I can understand that it may be lonely at times and I hope you meet someone soon to share your trips round the garden centre, in the meantime you will find GNs very supportive flowers (((hugs)))

whenim64 Thu 20-Feb-14 17:33:18

Hi Sheila and welcome. I'm very sorry to hear about your son. We lost a dear nephew this way a couple of years ago. Something that is so tough to deal with, no matter how resilient you might be. There are quite a lot of us here in the north-west and some of us have meet-ups for lunch and a loooong chat every two or three months. There's a Blackpool Local Forum, too. Just click on Local at the top of the page and you'll soon find it. Do join in and get to know what's going on around here flowers

sheilaR Thu 20-Feb-14 18:01:12

ahhh thank you so much for your lovely replies I feel alot better already!!

bless you all x

Charleygirl Thu 20-Feb-14 18:10:40

Welcome- sorry I do not live remotely near you but hopefully there will be somebody. I am also very sorry to hear of your loss. I warn you, GN is addictive! smile

Natsnan Thu 20-Feb-14 18:23:59

Welcome, Sheila. I too don't live near you but coming on here to chat, or just to browse if you don't feel like chatting, is a great way of feeling less lonely. I am so sorry for your loss and hope things improve for you soon flowers

rosesarered Thu 20-Feb-14 18:24:28

Welcome Sheila, we all like the site so hope that you will too!Yes, check out the local page, there is bound to be somebody near you.Join the WI in your town or village?or gardening club or history club?

Kiora Thu 20-Feb-14 18:32:20

Hi I hope you find a like minded friend who lives near. You sound a remarkably brave women who has overcome more than your fair share of heart ache. I hope to see your name on lots of posts. Good luck x

Galen Thu 20-Feb-14 19:01:40

Welcome Sheila as a 69 year old disabled widow, may I say I can sympathise. I live at the other end of the country, but rely on GN for friendship.

Aka Thu 20-Feb-14 19:23:58

Welcome Sheila

Losing a child is a terrible experience and you have my very deepest sympathy. You don't say if your loss is recent, but I know the hurt never goes away.

(((Hugs))))

Iam64 Thu 20-Feb-14 19:29:49

Welcome Sheila, adding my support and deepest sympathy for your loss.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 20-Feb-14 19:42:27

Welcome Sheila

It's definitely worth keeping an eye on the "meet ups" section of the forums. There are many grans based in Lancashire and surrounding areas and regular meet ups in the North West which may be of interest.

boheminan Thu 20-Feb-14 23:00:51

Hi sheilaR. I'm also very much on my own. I spend a lot (well, probably too much) time on GN, 'chatting'. It's good to belong in a happy time and place. We're here 26hrs a daysunshinemoonwinebrew. I'm going to my first ever meet up next week, and really look forward to meeting faces behind familiar names. There's bound to be folk living near you who will be shortly meeting up for a chat, etc…flowers. Enjoy smile

Tegan Thu 20-Feb-14 23:35:08

Being on gransnet is very much like having a huge group of friends to chat to almost 24/7 [some of us are slightly nocturnal].

annodomini Thu 20-Feb-14 23:39:15

Hi SheilaR, I see that you are a NW gran. We have recently had a meet-up, but do keep an eye on the meet-up threads because I hope we will have another before long. We are a very friendly bunch.

harrigran Fri 21-Feb-14 00:31:09

Welcome Sheila, so sorry for you loss. I am sure there are one or two Grans fairly close, perhaps you could join one of the meet ups smile

Ariadne Fri 21-Feb-14 06:10:08

Hello, Sheila and welcome to GN! I live at the other end of the country, in Devon, but there are people near to you, and I hope you get to meet them. I can't imagine life without GN - there is always someone to talk to and it really is like having a huge circle of friends - of which you are now one. flowers

nannyfran Fri 21-Feb-14 12:37:58

Hello Sheila, you have gone through my worst nightmare and I really admire you for taking positive steps like joining GN. Unfortunately I live at the other end of the country, but I hope you find someone close by to meet up with. Lots of love and hugs.

sheilaR Fri 21-Feb-14 15:44:42

thank you all so much for your lovely replies I am looking forward to getting to know people on here
love and hugs all round xx

Gally Fri 21-Feb-14 15:48:03

Welcome from me too Sheila. You will find a lot of friends and comfort on GN. You are a brave lady flowers

soop Fri 21-Feb-14 16:18:50

Hello dear sheilaR and a very warm welcome. Stay with Gransnet. I'm so glad that I joined. This is the forum on which you may share your concerns, celebrate your successes and meet like-minded people. sunshine

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 21-Feb-14 17:29:30

SheilaR flowers

Minty Fri 21-Feb-14 20:01:07

Hi Sheila, I am so sorry to hear about your son what a terrible sadness for you.
Sadly I am too far away as well otherwise we could have certainly had a coffee.
You will find lots of support here.

ladybird9 Fri 21-Feb-14 20:19:39

hello Sheila, my heart goes out to you, in my mind there is nothing like feeling lonely especially after the loss of a loved one, how difficult life must be for you, I too have lost my husband, didn't know how much I loved him till he was gone, true saying "you don't know what you have till you lose it". I too have aired my sadness and thoughts with Gransnet and found that there is a mountain of good listeners out there and willing to share time with you. Take a look at all the comments that you have received, it is so good to be able to 'off load'. Keep in touch with the Gransnet and who knows there may well be someone local to you that will get in touch and hopefully meet with you to share some good time.

Meanwhile Sheila I wish you a good evening and may your dreams be full of pleasant happenings.
Take care and please......... keep in touch
X