Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cancelled half marathon

(36 Posts)
JessM Sun 06-Apr-14 11:58:30

Apparently the organisers cancelled the Sheffield half marathon today after the participants had been waiting to start for a while. Most of them apparently set off anyway. Not enough water so it was not deemed safe to have the race.
Now bearing in mind it is (I believe) a cool, grey, wet day in Sheffield today and that the distance is only 13 miles . AIBU to think that they were being hyper cautious - and would have been safer to let it go ahead. I would be amazed if any of the runners collapse from dehydration. But if they do, there will be no first aid available will there, and no marshals to keep the route safe.
My DH did long bike ride in the heat in the mountains once, where the organisers ordered insufficient water. The riders weren't happy but no one collapsed from dehydration.

Anne58 Sun 06-Apr-14 12:08:56

Does seem a bit extreme Jess, I hardly think a bit of rain constitutes much of a problem!

Elegran Sun 06-Apr-14 12:09:10

Could they not have concentrated the water on the part of the course for which it would be enough and sent someone to the cash and carry for the rest, with instructions to be back before the runners reached the waterless points? Meanwhile marshalls stationed at that point could hold up a big sign saying "No water from here on until suplies get here". An anouncement at the start would let the runners know what was happening.

I wonder if the Greek herald running from the battle of Marathon with the news had enough water?

Anne58 Sun 06-Apr-14 12:10:34

Elegran he probably had a support team going alongside him in a chariot!

Soutra Sun 06-Apr-14 12:14:54

Elf n safety gone mad again. SIL and DD go in for that sort of thing and I can imagine how disappointed and annoyed the runners must have been sad

Elegran Sun 06-Apr-14 12:15:05

And a TV crew filming for Athens Tonight.

Elegran Sun 06-Apr-14 12:16:23

Useless organisation too - they must have known in advance how many runners there would be and how much water was needed.

Anne58 Sun 06-Apr-14 12:17:38

And a scribe with a tablet (non electronic kind) ready to ask questions such as "So herald, how does it feel to be tackling this on your own, do you get lonely?"

Gally Sun 06-Apr-14 12:18:35

Yep, 'elf 'n safety, the nanny state and the fear of litigation all rearing their heids wink

Lilygran Sun 06-Apr-14 12:19:25

Total chaos! And the police put up an ineffective road block to try to stop the race. The runners ran anyway.

GillT57 Sun 06-Apr-14 12:31:35

Why didnt someone go to the Cash n Carry and buy some bl**dy water?

Aka Sun 06-Apr-14 13:05:37

What a shambles.

glammanana Sun 06-Apr-14 13:08:27

Sounds like something from Keystone Cops,surely Supermarkets on route would have supplied free of charge just for the free advertising hmm

Pittcity Sun 06-Apr-14 14:31:15

Did nobody have a tap and a bucket?

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Apr-14 15:10:11

I understand from the midday news that their water supplier screwed up with the order. The trouble is if there had been a serious problem the public would have bleated that it wasn't properly organised, not safe and sued.

If your'e on a half marathon you cannot just stop and go into a shop to buy your own, you really would need supplies to just grab as you run past.

I really don't know what the liability situation would have been. If too many collapsed and were in a really bad way my DD's night shift tonight could have been busy.

rosesarered Sun 06-Apr-14 16:16:00

You wonder how man ever got to the moon really.

POGS Sun 06-Apr-14 17:36:47

Well I felt very sorry for the organisers actually, obviously also for the runners..

The company failed to deliver water bowser's and they did apparently try to get as much bottled water as possible but there was insufficient to pass the stringent health requirements. We are talking about thousands of runners! It is a fact that water would be required and dehydration is no joke.

It does seem a bit 'nanny statish' but there was actually a big problem for the organisers. They would have been 'slated' had it gone ahead and just one runner hospitalised.

Another damned if they do, damned if they don't situation.

absent Sun 06-Apr-14 20:36:24

Didn't Pheidippides drop dead after announcing the Athenian victory?

JessM Sun 06-Apr-14 21:51:19

Ah yes but that was a whole marathon absent

Aka Sun 06-Apr-14 22:35:04

And Greece is slightly warmer that April in Sheffield!

Elegran Sun 06-Apr-14 22:44:12

Bet he was dehydrated though.

janeainsworth Sun 06-Apr-14 22:45:20

People have died doing the Great North Run in Newcastle, which is a half-marathon.
I think the organisers did the only thing they could to protect both themselves and the runners.

absent Sun 06-Apr-14 22:45:33

Actually Greece can be quite cold in the winter, especially in the mountains, but a) I know nothing about the topography of the route from Marathon to Athens and b) what time of year the battle was fought. I do know the tactics, however, as I was on one of the Athenian wings, armed with a ruler, when we acted out the battle in the Lower Fourth.

Ana Sun 06-Apr-14 22:48:30

Lower Fourth - there's a blast from the past! grin

absent Sun 06-Apr-14 22:50:07

Long, long past Ana! However, the teaching technique certainly worked if I can still remember it.