Gransnet forums

AIBU

to not understand inconsistency in pharmacies!

(39 Posts)
Aka Sat 24-May-14 17:02:52

Unfortunately some countries sell antibiotics over the counter on demand angry

annsixty Sat 24-May-14 16:46:10

Well its Derby,sorry,but even DH doesn't think they will be good enough to survive if they do go up.

HollyDaze Sat 24-May-14 16:16:05

jollyg

I experienced much the same thing in Spain. I forgot to take my thyroxin tablets on holiday so I trotted off to the local GP to get a prescription only to be told I didn't need one as you can buy them over the counter - and they cost pennies.

I have always wondered why so many things can only be obtained, in Britain, on prescription and, of course, this restriction on how much you can buy.

kittylester Sat 24-May-14 16:13:43

They are available over the counter from the pharmacy but not on the shelves!

DH is watching the football and, as he's a Forest fan, 'he hates Derby'. Who does your DH support ann? I think the shame of Leicester and Derby being in the Premiership and the mighty Forest still languishing in the Championship would be too much to bear. grin

I'm currently watching Peppa Pig dvds with DGD2 to let them watch in peace!

annsixty Sat 24-May-14 15:47:54

Ah kitty I hadn't realised it was a large quantity you were buying and I expect these are not available over the counter. By the way I hope your DH is watching my DH's team try to get into the Premier League or would that be rubbing salt into the wound. Football is one of the few interests my DH has now.

jollyg Sat 24-May-14 15:40:21

This is the'eatlh N safely polis coming in.

I go to India regularly and can buy all the things I think I need at the Pharmacy there. I do not overdose. I check on line or am advised by a chemist what to take, they all speak excellent English.
If anywhere I am at a loss where to go, I always look for a chemist

For far too long our GPs have been in thrall to the big Pharma companies, to peddle their wares.

It happened in Asia with cigarettes, now we have big Pharmas bribing Chinese doctors again to sell.

Such is life

KatyK Sat 24-May-14 15:35:07

I have seen them refuse to sell more than 2 packets of paracetamol to a person at the checkout in Aldi.

Agus Sat 24-May-14 15:31:50

Soutra know what you mean grin

kittylester Sat 24-May-14 15:22:48

It's much cheaper to buy them in the 96 box ann and, as Dh takes them daily and I use them occasionally we get through them fairly quickly.

annsixty Sat 24-May-14 14:59:17

When I buy Ibufrofen from Sainsbury's I do not use the pharmacy counter, I just put them in my trolley and pay at the checkout.

Soutra Sat 24-May-14 14:55:27

I like it when the well meaning if misguided assistant asks "have you had this before?" when I am buying paracetamol. I am so tempted to answer No, it is OK to take the whole box at once isn't it? Come on I am hardly in my first flush of youth so the likelihood of reaching free prescription age is remote, no?

Agus Sat 24-May-14 14:41:31

That sounds ludicrous Kitty. Surely if you can buy any meds over the counter then that's what you should be able to do. So, if you lie, that counts as proof who the meds are for? Crazy!

KatyK Sat 24-May-14 14:34:55

I agree. For about 4 years when my hair was thinning I bought a certain product once a month from Boots which had been recommended to me. One day while I was out shopping I went into a different Boots and took my product from the shelf and handed it to the person behind the pharmacy counter as that was the nearest pay point. This product was a hair lotion, to be applied to my scalp. He said 'are you on any medication?' I said 'yes I take tablets for high blood pressure.' He replied 'sorry, I can't sell you this then'. confused I said I have been buying this for years, it's to rub into my scalp, what have blood pressure tablets got to do with it?' He refused to give it to me. I just got the bus to the next town and bought it in another branch with no problems. Before this product was widely available in pharmacies, my doctor used to prescribe it for me, often on the same prescription as my blood pressure tablets. Jobsworth methinks.

kittylester Sat 24-May-14 14:20:45

Ages ago, DH was prescribed diclofenac for the slight residual pain he has after his hip replacement. After the scare about diclofenac he stopped taking that and started taking ibuprofen instead.

Yesterday, I tried to buy ibuprofen at Sainsbury's and, like an idiot, I owned up to wanting them for DH and the other medication he takes (including BP tabs) and the pharmacist refused to sell them to me.

Today, I went to the Boots in our village to collect my BP tabs and I also asked for the biggest box of ibuprofen and was told 'Make sure you read the leaflet before you take any'. confused

I know the reasons for not selling them, and I know I should have lied in Sainsburys blush, but surely there should be some consistency confused