Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are posties refusing to deliver the Sun being unreasonable?

(47 Posts)
janerowena Fri 13-Jun-14 16:35:43

So now we know why so many people in Lancs and around Liverpool don't have copies, elsewhere as well.

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/pictures-homes-over-britain-show-7254760

So many people told their postmen that they didn't want a copy that they said they didn't want the hassle they would get if they delivered it. This is only one link, there are many.

AlieOxon Sun 15-Jun-14 11:13:33

My copy has gone back - all wet and soggy!

annodomini Sun 15-Jun-14 11:12:14

Goodness! that was a late arrival, when. Maybe I can still hope hmm to receive my copy!

whenim64 Sun 15-Jun-14 10:46:44

The sun came through my letterbox yesterday. What a desperate act to try to increase readership - it demonstrates what a poor publication this is. They know that being forced to remove page 3 nudity will decrease circulation further. I support those postmen who refuse to deliver it and those people who criticise it. The owners of this comic know why the people of Liverpool and surrounding areas feel so strongly about these attempts to inflict it on them.....and at a sensitive time whilst the Hillsbrough enquiry is taking place.

This copy is going back in the post box.

thatbags Sun 15-Jun-14 10:02:23

I agree too, grannytwice. You made perfectly valid criticisms of a newspaper. That is not snobbery.

And if people who buy and read the Sun cringe when they read criticisms of it, well... maybe they need to cringe. A good cringe never did anyone any harm. I doubt if anyone does cringe though. What surprises me most about the Sun is its popularity.

durhamjen Sun 15-Jun-14 00:03:58

Despite the demise of the NoW and the phone hacking scandal, which, by the way, is being decided on now, although you would not know it in much of the news coverage, Murdoch still controls an estimated 37% of the media outlets in this country. That is one reason not to buy the sun, in my opinion.
"So much power and so much control over the flow of information, news and opinion can only weaken democracy. Yet two years after the Leveson report was tabled, demonstrating how media giants have contorted the truth and ethics in their pursuit of profits over accurate and impartial reporting, the press has still not brought its dogs to heel when it comes to vilifying and attacking those who cannot defend themselves."
From Harry's Last Stand.

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 19:11:31

Thank you Wheni

Wheniwasyourage Sat 14-Jun-14 19:07:57

GrannyTwice, I agree totally with your post at 17:07:39, including your points about the Sun, the Guardian and the Times. You're right about the Sunday Times campaigning on thalidomide before the days of RM. They were tenacious in spite of all the opposition - wouldn't happen now. sad

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 18:11:16

Don't need your advice thank you very much rose - I'll decide for myself when to chill out

Eloethan Sat 14-Jun-14 17:20:41

You'd be hard pushed to find much news in the Sun (or the Mirror).

rosesarered Sat 14-Jun-14 17:16:36

All this over a bit of free paper that came through the door? Time to chill out I think.

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 17:07:39

Petallus - isn't it possible to thoroughly dislike the Sun because of certain things it does and stands for without this being defined as snobbery or looking down scathingly on its readers? Surely there is a difference between an attitude which says ' the sun is for numpties sporting tattoos and pit bulls who wouldn't know an intellectual argument if it hit them on their smackhead' and saying that the sun's attitude towards women as demonstrated on page 3, their cavalier disregard of the law re phone hacking and their coverage of Hillsborough makes it a paper I fundamentally disagree with. Yes, the Guardian and its readers can come across as smug sometimes but over the years, it has fought many worthwhile battles and espoused causes that no one else was interested in to a greater degree than most other papers I would say. The Times used to be like before RM got his filthy paws on it -was it the Sunday Times that did sterling campaigning on thalidomide?

petallus Sat 14-Jun-14 16:44:47

I have read the Guardian for years and years and still do. I also have the Sunday Observer now it is free at Waitrose.

I still don't feel the need to look down so scathingly on those who like to read newspapers like the Mail and Sun. Sometimes I read them myself. I like to get different perspectives on the news.

Actually, one of the things I dislike about the Guardian is the smugness of it and many of it's readers, always congratulating themselves on being 'a Guardian reader'.

BYW I've thought this for a few years now and it is not a comment on anyone on this thread.

HollyDaze Sat 14-Jun-14 16:32:10

rosesarered, petallus and Ana

Well said, I agree with all of those sentiments.

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 15:57:51

I really really don't understand what on earth is meant by snobbery in criticising the Sun confused

AlieOxon Sat 14-Jun-14 15:33:17

At a guess - the Guardian and the Independent?

Ana Sat 14-Jun-14 15:26:23

Which two are those then, GrannyTwice? (In your opinion, of course). Talk about elements of snobbery...

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 14:36:12

Element of snobbery? For goodness sake, this, for me and many others is about Hillsborough- what's snobbish about thinking the Sun's behaviour over that ( without even starting on page 3, phone hacking etc) is unacceptable and therefore not wanting the rag to be delivered unsolicited under the faux banner of patriotism ( which we all know is the last refuge of the scoundrel- which is a fairly mild description of RM). I actually couldn't give a damn if any Sun reader is reading this post - the publication ( can't dignify it with the word newspaper) is a disgrace and so, quite frankly, i don't care if any of its readers are upset by criticism. Those of us who read one of the only two decent newspapers are frequently reviled and I equally couldn't give a damn about that either.

AlieOxon Sat 14-Jun-14 13:23:43

My sun (I refuse to give it a capital) has been rained on overnight and is now in a bag in a big envelope ready to post. How nice.

My daughter sometimes gets it and I show my disgust....

petallus Sat 14-Jun-14 12:51:53

Elegran I'd be up for the free barbecue! grin

Most people who have had the Sun shoved through their doors uninvited are not objecting on the basis of the junk mail epidemic. It is more to do with the kind of newspaper it is.

janerowena Sat 14-Jun-14 12:09:00

grin I have just asked a similar question of friends on facebook!

Elegran Sat 14-Jun-14 11:54:31

I am not being snobbish about the Sun. It is a matter of principle - and I have not received a copy (yet) I think any newspaper which deluges the whole country with mailshot copies is being antisocial, taking the junk mail epidemic to a ridiculous extreme. We already get too much unasked-for bumff through our letterboxes.

What is next - will B&Q send everyone on the country a free barbecue to drum up customers?

Ana Sat 14-Jun-14 11:26:43

It did cross my mind that there may be some Gransnet members who buy/read the Sun, or a member of their household does. If so, some of the derogatory terms used in this thread must be making them cringe...

petallus Sat 14-Jun-14 11:21:43

I think there's an element of snobbery in all of this. Half the country read The Sun so what are we saying about them?

petallus Sat 14-Jun-14 11:21:03

rosesarered I do agree. I read mine and then binned it.

Probably not as enjoyable as taking a high moral stand though smile

Elegran Sat 14-Jun-14 11:05:10

Repeating a post - Returning the Sun needs their Freepost reg.no. But the Twitter account of the editor David Dinsmore is https://twitter.com/davedins

and his Linkedin page - uk.linkedin.com/pub/david-dinsmore/a/66b/425

and the Facebook page for the Sun https://facebook.com/timeline

Their ordinary address is "The Sun, 3 Thomas More Square, London, E98 1XY "
Or
"Customer Services, News Corp UK and Ireland Limited, 3 Thomas More Square, London E98 1RL"