Gransnet forums

AIBU

Excommunication.

(64 Posts)
NanKate Wed 25-Jun-14 16:29:17

I have just read in the paper a letter suggesting that the Pope should excommunicate paedophile Roman Catholic priests as well as the Mafia.

That seems like a no- brainer to me, but will it happen ?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Jun-14 17:23:45

I read that he did refer to the Italian Mafia as being excommunicated. But the article went on to say that actual excommunication is a complicated and drawn out process, and that the pope had never actually carried it out. It sounded as though he was voicing wishful thinking.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Jun-14 17:25:25

I don't understand why really wicked people ars not excommunicated. Perhaps it is felt that they should have the chance to repent of their sins and redeem themselves.

Stansgran Wed 25-Jun-14 17:26:56

I'd double the Vatican guard straight off.

Anne58 Wed 25-Jun-14 17:43:16

I think that may be the case jingl re the chance to repent.

Stans we're ready, pom pom makers atten....shun!

Ana Wed 25-Jun-14 18:03:49

What a strange aspect of some religions excommunication is! (IMO)
I suppose being denied the right to join in with some of the rituals and traditions is a punishment to some believers, though...

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Jun-14 18:06:11

You might be ready phoenix. I just might let 'em have him! grin

JessM Wed 25-Jun-14 18:06:25

I think it had a lot of impact in centuries past when people really believed in hell. Whole countries put under interdict way back in the days of King John etc.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Jun-14 18:07:27

It would be really scary to really committed believers Ana - no chance of Heaven.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Jun-14 18:07:49

Sorry for the surfeit of "reallys" there

Nonu Wed 25-Jun-14 18:26:45

Paedophiles should be ex-communicated , Mortal sin,.. in my opinion.
Some will say , not very Christian !
So what , not very Christian--- their deeds !

sad

Anne58 Wed 25-Jun-14 18:38:16

Actually, I don't think I've ever made a pom pom in my life. Well, not completed one.

I think I have said before that I don't have much time for the Catholic faith, founded on fear IMO, and a few autobiographies that I have read have reinforced that opinion.

However, I do feel that so far Francis has shown himself to be a different sort of Pope. No designer shoes, and far more prepared to be among the people (was it in Brazil that he did a mega walk about type thing?)

My stance on organised religion has always been that of a sceptic, this was confirmed for me by the attitude taken by the "pastor" that my ex husband allowed to have so much input into our sons funeral.

But I know that a lot of people find great comfort in their faith, and I am glad for them, providing that they are not shoving it down others throats or of the opinion that anyone that doesn't share their beliefs are destined for hell or to be seen as an enemy on this planet.

I'll get me coat.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Jun-14 18:40:25

(I was only joking about letting 'em have him) blush

I think he's lovely. smile

I have made a lot of pom-poms.

Agus Wed 25-Jun-14 18:45:43

You are forgiven my child!

sparkygran Wed 25-Jun-14 18:50:38

I`m with Stangran get the Swiss Guard out of their silly uniforms and issue them with klashnikovs (that is certainly not spelt right - but do I care)

Anne58 Wed 25-Jun-14 18:53:02

Oooh, does that mean I'm in a state of grace Agus ? smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Jun-14 18:59:26

Shove orf phoenix! It means I am. hmm

he is a brave man

Anne58 Wed 25-Jun-14 19:27:51

Not sure if "brave" is the word I'd use, but must say I do have respect for him, and hope, if that makes sense?

Anne58 Wed 25-Jun-14 19:29:19

PS jingl I do struggle to think of you in a state of grace, please take that in the spirit of which it was intended!

Galen Wed 25-Jun-14 19:55:57

The Swiss guards (behind the scenes) are a very highly trained military force. And I believe that they have well stocked armoury.

Does excommunication bar one from heaven on repentance?
I find that hard to believe from an all merciful God?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Jun-14 19:57:22

[highly offended emoticon] (aimed at Madame phoenix)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Jun-14 19:57:35

wink

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Jun-14 19:58:33

I think, once it's been done on you Galen - that's yer lot!

So watch it!

Galen Wed 25-Jun-14 20:03:35

jing
Can't be!
God is omniscient and omnipotent!
Ergo! Nowt is impossible to Her

Elegran Wed 25-Jun-14 20:06:26

They can excommunicate you from the Church but the New Testament insists that a new covenant was formed at that time, which is between God and individuals, not God and institutions. So no human, however exalted in the Church hierarchy, can excommunicate you from God. Sins, repentance and hopes of heaven are matters between an individual and God, with clergy acting merely as facilitators.

At least, that is my reading of it. i could be wrong.