Gransnet forums

AIBU

What do you think?

(43 Posts)
grannyactivist Sun 13-Jul-14 20:46:17

Last week, in the middle of a very busy time, I took the trouble to clean the outside, downstairs windows of the house. It took me a long time and a lot of effort, but I was pleased to have saved my extremely hardworking husband a job. I will confess the windows were not perfect when I'd finished, but they were clean. This evening I found my husband with the window cleaner re- doing all the windows. I was cross - he explained he thought he was 'helping'. What do you say, am I being unreasonable?

MiceElf Sun 13-Jul-14 20:49:32

No, of course you're not. Wonderful man or not, he really should have noticed the difference between opaque and transparent.

rosesarered Sun 13-Jul-14 20:55:39

You would only be unreasonable if he didn't know you had cleaned all the windows.If he did know, then it was not right that he got the window cleaner to re-do them, and if I were you I would never clean them again.

rosesarered Sun 13-Jul-14 20:58:04

This almost happened to me last week grannyactivist I had cleaned nearly all the windows, when a few days later the window cleaner turned up [he had been missing for a while] and my DH said 'Oh let him do them!'
Naturally I said ' No way!'

thatbags Sun 13-Jul-14 21:09:02

Being married to a man to whom the thought of cleaning windows would never, ever occur, I can only shrug and think "I should be so lucky!"

No other kind of cleaning would occur to him either.

No!.... wait!.... I do him an injustice! He has been known to clean a camera lens.

ffinnochio Sun 13-Jul-14 21:15:13

ga I would hand over all window cleaning 'rights' forthwith.

Marelli Sun 13-Jul-14 21:17:13

So would I, ga!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 13-Jul-14 21:21:40

Was the window cleaner a man kind of window cleaner? Or a spray bottle of window cleaner? Either way I wouldn't mind at all. Nothing worse than smeary windows.

You should get a Karcher. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 13-Jul-14 21:29:18

Or perhaps it is a pole with a sponge/wiper blade?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 13-Jul-14 21:29:57

Or an e-cloth from Lakeland.

Ana Sun 13-Jul-14 22:05:13

Yes, I was wondering what MrGA was doing with the window cleaner if it was a human-type one...

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 13-Jul-14 22:05:37

Your work wasn't wasted because the fact that they were clean meant the job he/it had to do was a lot easier.

HTH

Ana Sun 13-Jul-14 22:06:30

Unless he was holding the ladder, of course. But that seems to be banned nowadays (using ladders at all I mean, not holding them).

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 13-Jul-14 22:07:29

What?! They have to put up scaffolding to clean the windows?!!! shock

numberplease Sun 13-Jul-14 22:08:32

Wish mine would clean windows, I wish he`d clean anything!

rosequartz Sun 13-Jul-14 22:08:51

I did my kitchen windows with the Karcher, it looked wonderful until the evening sun shone throught its smears. I then did it with kitchen roll and white vinegar. Better, but still not great.
Please come and do my windows for me grannyactivist

Ana Sun 13-Jul-14 22:10:26

number, me too...hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 13-Jul-14 22:11:02

these are good

Followed by the use of one of these

merlotgran Sun 13-Jul-14 22:13:22

Isn't it the other way round, jingl?

#confusednow

Ana Sun 13-Jul-14 22:22:15

I'm a bit put off by one of the scrim reviewers saying you have to boil them before use! hmm

merlot, the Karcher only sucks the water off. You can get a washing attachment.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 13-Jul-14 22:28:32

No merlot. You give them a quick slosh over with the scrim (I didn't boil mine Ana) and then vacuum the water off with the Karcher. smile

Tegan Sun 13-Jul-14 22:59:07

I just hose my windows down sometimes when I'm watering the garden. The double glazing has all got moisture inside so I can't see outside much anyway sad. I do use a scrim, though, when I clean the windows inside. It makes me feel a bit domestic goddesslike [for some reason].

rosequartz Sun 13-Jul-14 23:00:11

My MIL used to use scrim and also kept me supplied with it.

When I use the Karcher I can't always use it right down to the bottom of the window because of the sill so there is a line of water across, so have to use kitchen roll to finish it off anyway.

Must buy some more scrim - £7.99 shock

grannyactivist Sun 13-Jul-14 23:39:55

No, no, no - the (used to be) Wonderful Man had a window cleaner; not as in a person type window cleaner, but as in a squirty spray bottle of window cleaner and a cloth! I cleaned the windows with a hose, soapy, vinegary water and a window squeegee on pole. Got my hands, arms and feet dripping wet in the process too.

Tonight I cleared up a pile of logs outside the garage that have been annoying me for ages and added them to the huge logpile elsewhere. The WM was most put out when I told him what I'd done. Apparently he'd been leaving them to split for kindling and now he'll have to get them all out again. Well, I didn't know that! grin Such a shame.

Coolgran65 Mon 14-Jul-14 03:53:24

Eco cloths to do windows. 2 cloths. One cloth you wet, and its for washing the windows, the second cloth is for drying. No streaks, perfect job. Also on mirrors etc.There are a little expensive but do a blinding job.