Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fed up with celebs.

(49 Posts)
Ana Mon 28-Jul-14 17:21:54

I did warn you those Tesco photo booths aren't really big enough for full-frontal flashing! hmm

Lona Mon 28-Jul-14 17:17:59

Well, hen don't be surprised if we all slag you off something rotten now that you're a wannabe sleb! grin

I hope you didn't frighten any horses!

henetha Mon 28-Jul-14 17:14:14

Well, Lona. I went into town, took all my clothes off and stuck out all my bits and pieces... and got arrested. I am now in a prison cell. Please bring a bottle of wine and some cake.
I hope it makes the papers tomorrow. grin

GrannyTwice Mon 28-Jul-14 16:53:48

When I'm in the queue at M&S food, they have the celeb magazines there. They nearly always use just first names so over time( since my daughter left home) I recognise less and less of them but gosh, do they have amazing and numerous crises , secret sadnesses, serious illnesses etc etcetera

NanKate Mon 28-Jul-14 16:39:44

I expect the notorious Rolf H will plummet from and A lister to a Z lister on his release.

sunseeker Mon 28-Jul-14 15:47:11

I find that I have never heard of any of these "celebrities" and often wonder why newspapers/TV/radio think I would have any interest in what they are doing! hmm

GrannyTwice Mon 28-Jul-14 15:29:47

confused indeed! I don't think I'd quote MB on anything and he did appear on Celebrity Big Bother and Celebrity Come Dine With Me so he obviously does well out of the cult of celebrity. I certainly wouldn't want to be well known for some of the things he's well known for

Lona Mon 28-Jul-14 15:07:26

I think Michael Barrymore is notorious rather than celebrated. hmm

HollyDaze Mon 28-Jul-14 11:41:57

I once heard Michael Barrymore say that he hated the culture of celebrity as it no longer meant anything: 'that anyone can become a celeb if they are marginally more well known than their next door neighbour for not doing very much of anything'. I think I tend to agree with him.

penguinpaperback Mon 28-Jul-14 11:28:15

Look forward to reading all about it Kenetha. smile

Elegran Mon 28-Jul-14 11:07:20

Kim Kardashian will be completely eclipsed!

Lona Mon 28-Jul-14 10:49:39

grin I'll look out for you in the papers tomorrow!

henetha Mon 28-Jul-14 10:37:58

Thanks Lona. I'm going into town today and will give it a go. grin

Lona Mon 28-Jul-14 10:31:28

henetha Take your clothes off, take a selfie and stick your tongue/boobs/bottom out!

henetha Mon 28-Jul-14 10:25:57

Oh.... gosh. Can anyone become a celebrity? How do I go about it?

Elegran Mon 28-Jul-14 10:17:35

She is a celebrity It is a full-time career, she doesn't have time to do anything.

henetha Mon 28-Jul-14 10:12:31

The whole celeb thing is puzzling to me. For isntance, what does Kim Kardashian actually do ??? etc....

MiniMouse Mon 28-Jul-14 09:24:39

A possible conspiracy theory here? GN has infiltrated the tv companies and somehow managed to convince them to produce all these rubbish programmes so that we all spend more time on GN wink

Lona Mon 28-Jul-14 09:01:09

I find that there's very little worth reading in newspapers, and not much to watch on tv.
Just too much rubbish, but it means more time to waste on Gransnet!

suebailey1 Mon 28-Jul-14 08:54:22

I got the impression that this celebrity nonsense was on the wane- if cleared programmes like those made by Simon Cowell et al of TV they would have nowhere to go. Now I see BBC 2 is putting on some daft programme about Celebrities doing circus tricks! If there was an emoticon for BORED I would use it.

NanKate Sun 27-Jul-14 21:07:33

I don't Ana I just read the headline and then start huffing and blowing.

Elegran Sun 27-Jul-14 21:07:08

A lot of them are just celebrities for being celebrated, or famous just for being famous. Getting themselves into the parlous state that requires them to battle with their addictions is a part of their flamboyant showbiz persona, so the resultant spell in therapy is also grist to their publicity mill.

Normal people don't talk a lot about it if they have to spend some time undergoing treatment for their habit. For those to whom fame is paramount, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Ana Sun 27-Jul-14 21:02:07

Don't read the articles in question, NanKate, that's the solution!

NanKate Sun 27-Jul-14 20:49:24

I have just seen yet another article about some celeb I have never heard of called Demi Lovato who has been battling her addictions and eating disorders. Many of these people are in privileged positions with money and connections and the ability to check themselves into rehab.

I have every sympathy for those who have had dreadful lives and have followed the wrong route and just do not have the money or connections to help themselves.

But If I hear of another success story of A, B or C list celeb I will scream. shock