Gransnet forums

AIBU

Problems with MIL that need resolving. Please help me understand her view

(35 Posts)
rosesarered Wed 13-Aug-14 08:55:51

Hello *A different view*what a problem for you. It's easy for others to say 'lay down ground rules' and hard to do. Your husband knows his mother has problems letting him go [it's a common thing, mothers and sons.]Plus she has other problems [alchohol.]I would allow your MIL to see your daughter often, as long as she is not drunk, and be pleasant with her, she is still your DH's mother after all.She is unhappy, and being bossy with her and not allowing her to see her grand-daughter will make things worse for all of you.Don't worry about her 'loving you' maybe she does in her own way anyway. Disregard anything you overhear, she clearly is unhappy.You hold all the cards here, so unless things get worse, allow her to be a close part of your family.Grandma's often buy chocs etc for their DGC and a bit of junk food won't hurt.Good Luck!

sunseeker Wed 13-Aug-14 08:50:32

Do you have a good relationship with her sister (the one you overheard her speaking to)? If so perhaps you could mention to her that you heard what she said and she could then let your MiL know that you had heard, then wait and see what she does.

She sounds a lot like my mother and the only way to deal with her is for both you and your DH to be firm about boundaries. Is DH her only son because it does sound as if she is jealous that you have "taken" him away from her. My mother would try lots of tricks like your MiL with my brother until he made it quite clear to her that if she forced him to make a choice between her and his wife and family - she would lose. Her behaviour with him and his family have improved greatly (although her behaviour towards me still needs work!!) Good luck

ADifferentView Wed 13-Aug-14 08:38:15

Thank you for your replies, and the codependency suggestion. I've read a little bit and recognise lots.

Difficulty with boundaries, not knowing where their needs end and the needs of another person begin.

Repression within the family and a need to keep up the family lie of pretending the alcohol problems are not there. Anyone who doesn't toe the line is excluded!

My sister in law is also often is the position of being responsible for her maintaining her mothers happiness or state of mind. MIL says her daughter is her best friend and relies on her emotionally a lot.

thatbags Wed 13-Aug-14 08:05:01

Wide berth sounds like a sensible plan to me. In your shoes I'd try to remain civil but I wouldn't be making friendly overtures like visiting her at work. From what you have said she sounds very self-centred. All the best.

NfkDumpling Wed 13-Aug-14 07:54:50

I agree about the need for boundaries. If you let her have her way things will only get worse.
She may well be quite fond of you but jealous too. Jealousy is a terrible thing and very difficult to deal with or acknowledge.
Are there other GC? How is she with them?
Is she a widow on her own? This may be a reason for her being this way - but not an excuse.

Grannyknot Wed 13-Aug-14 07:51:23

I agree this woman has serious issues.

When you say that if she was informed* that you had overheard the conversation you mention, that she would sulk and make herself the victim - that's manipulation. She should be embarrassed and apologetic in that instance. *It doesn't have to be a confrontation, you could simply let her know that you overheard her talking to her sister. I wouldn't even get my husband involved if I were you.

Your long and carefully written post indicates that you spend a lot of time thinking about this matter and trying to manage it. Time to take the focus off this woman, and focus on you and your family and - echoing when - put the ball in her court and don't react to her tantrums.

Good luck, she sounds like a nightmare.

penguinpaperback Wed 13-Aug-14 07:28:04

Oh my goodness ADV your MIL sounds incredibly possessive, controlling. I'm lost for words after reading she called your first child her firstborn.
No wonder her behaviour is exhausting you. I agree with whenim set down some boundaries, ground rules and make sure you and your husband present a united and consistent, most important, front. Good Luck. flowers

ADifferentView Wed 13-Aug-14 01:04:13

Thank you for posting. I am doubting myself at the moment. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't just put up with it all to keep the peace.

I do think we need boundaries in place and I need to reduce how much time I spend with her.

whenim64 Wed 13-Aug-14 00:42:21

Please help you to understand her view? ADV I wouldn't contemplate it. She has a big problem if she has been treating you like this, and all I would advise is that you draw very clear, reasonable boundaries about how you and your DH conduct your relationship and care for your child. Then, if she's prepared to respect that, you can have a civilised MiL/DiL relationship. The balls in her court. Meanwhile, keep your distance and don't react to her tantrums. Good luck!

ADifferentView Wed 13-Aug-14 00:03:27

Hello. I am posting on Gransnet as a DIL that would like to try and understand how to move forward with my MIL. Also to try and understand her behaviour and whether I am being unreasonable. I would really appreciate some advice from other MIL's.

My DH and I have been together 8 years and have a child. My mother in law pretends to me that she loves and supports me but it has never felt very genuine. Despite this, over the last 2 years I have started to trust her and believed she had grown to love me in some way. Obviously I'll never be one of her own and I know that, but I felt we had a good relationship.

Yesterday my friend and I overheard her making some horrible remarks about me (we had taken my child to visit her at her place of work, and she thought we had left when we were around the corridor after using the bathroom). We overheard MIL speaking to her sister (my Aunty in law), she said that I wasted her son's money (I don't, and one third of our household income is from my earnings), and that I should be more than happy with my lot as I've done so well in marrying her son compared to the rest of my family who have nothing.

Just 5 minutes beforehand MIL had told me she loved me. I feel so hurt and depressed by all this. It's as though we've regressed back to 6 years ago when I first became pregnant and had DC. MIL found it very difficult when DC was born (extremely emotional, a lot of crying), and accused me of keeping her from DC because I wouldn't let her give DC first bath, let her look after DC alone and stay the night at her house at a couple of weeks old etc. I felt at the time very threatened by how much MIL thought of herself as 'mother' to my child. She even referred to my DC as her 'firstborn'.

DH is very supportive of me however it's difficult for him to act on this. The last time he did catch MIL speaking in this way about me, he confronted her but she burst into tears and sulked for one month whilst we had numerous phone calls from my sisters in law pleading for DH to apologise to MIL and stop her feeling so sad. In the end we gave in.

If DH or I confront MIL with this latest event it's 100% likely she will again sulk and make herself the victim. I obviously feel like I want I give her a very wide berth for a while but there's only so long I can avoid her before she notices and starts to send messages through my SIL and FIL that I haven't called or visited.

To put all of this into context, I generally feel my MIL has no respect for me as a mother and ignores my wishes when caring for my child. For example, co sleeping, giving her inappropriate gifts like make up, far too many sweets and junk food.

She also created problems leading up to and on our wedding day, she was against me buying a wedding dress and insisted I hire one, she bought herself a white dress to wear, complained to everyone that she was losing her son (DH and I had been living together for 6 years and with a child for 3 years already). She didn't compliment me or speak to me on my wedding day although I invited her to spend some time with me getting ready. She just got quite drunk instead. She asked on 3 occasions to stay in our hotel room with us on our wedding night to look after our child (our daughter would be asleep and never wakes in the night, she knows this).

I feel drained after seeing my MIL because I often have to keep my defences up and be vigilant with my child. My MIL always wants to take her away from me and into another room, and once told her that Mummy doesn't let her see her enough. Am I being reasonable to keep my distance and only see them every month or couple of months? We live fairly close by and they are used to seeing us about once a fortnight or sometimes once a week.