Gransnet forums

AIBU

My daughter in law and son

(57 Posts)
ninathenana Thu 21-Aug-14 00:02:07

Reminds me of the old saying 'you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family'
flowers to all of you suffering in this way.

tcherry Wed 20-Aug-14 22:30:51

msmac I do feel sorry for you but I feel more sorry for your grandsonsad for having horrible parents that no one wants to talk to

wondergran Wed 20-Aug-14 22:12:28

Wise words sugarpuffairy. I have also had this threat against me on several occasions. My DGS, 3, lived with me and I did so much for him but suddenly due to DD obtaining new bf things changed overnight.
Yes, they know it hurts and in many ways it's like having a loaded gun at my head. If I dare to say anything then the threat of not seeing him again is brought up.
I used to sob and virtually beg to see him but suddenly wised up and realised how stupid and vulnerable I am making myself.
All I can say is, keep the pain to yourself, don't dare let them see the affect they are having. It sounds as if your son is siding with your DiL and that leaves you somewhat isolated.
Try to distance yourself if you can. Stop the financial help. Let them sort their own problems out. Babysit if you are asked but you really must lie low now before things totally break down.

Sugarpufffairy Wed 20-Aug-14 21:21:11

Hi MsMac
I have been through this loads of times. I think they do it because they know it will hurt us the most. They need us for various reasons but they do not like that either. The child being taught to say a word like that towards the granny is not acceptable. I have given up with it all. I just do what I want if I want. I wont let the kids go without food but I do not buy clothes or toys except as birthday and christmas presents. I only babysit if it is for health reasons now. I went to babysit one child so that the other child could be taken to Dr. I will never let it show that they are hurting me. It hurts so much but it is best never to show it. I dont know what you or any of us can do to change things. We just have to sit it out. They will need us before we need them (hopefully). Who will be babysitting child No 1 while child no 2 is born. Sounds like it will be a C Section, stupid woman she will need all the help she can get and should not be alienating any of the family. There should be laws against this but so far there does not seem to be.
Take care
Sugarpufffairy

Stansgran Wed 20-Aug-14 19:25:44

I'm always astonished at how lacking in basic politeness people are . I can't advise as I have problems with family but I suspect most people will say take a deep breath and ignore it. Bitch in my opinion is a word that a five year old should not have heard and a grandparent should not have said. I hope he never uses it to his mother and he will need to learn to respect all women in the world he grows up in .

msmac Wed 20-Aug-14 19:09:01

Sorry about the typos. Just upset over all of this.

msmac Wed 20-Aug-14 19:05:39

I am new here and have been looking on the internet for some guidance. My DIL, is a not a nice person and my son backs her up. She is 8 months pregnant with the second child. My first grandson is 5. She has repeatedly "taken him away" from us by not allowing us to see or talk to him. Usually the reasons are silly (the first one, 3 years ago) after I watched him everyday since he was 3 months, was because I was angry that she and my son would not help move some very heavy furniture. For that she took our grandson away for three months. That was the first of many. The latest one that happened two days ago, I was watching the 5 year old and he told me his maternal grandfather taught him to call me a "bitch". Then the little one said, I know that is a bad word and I won't call you that anymore. It was like someone plunged a hot dagger in my heart. Well, anyhow, for some unknown reason, (my husband did call our son and ask why a 5 year old child was being taught to call his grandmother that), and then the 37 year son came up and started a fight with me. My husband had to ask him to leave. Now we "are not permitted to see the child" and we are not going to be told when the new one comes. She is close to delivery per OB/GYN on Monday. What are we doing wrong? Just a side note, no on my son's side (our side), talks to either of them because of her antics. My grandson has never meat his aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews or great grandmother of 79.
Where do we go from here, I am very tired of this emotional roller coaster. Are we the wrong ones? Any ideas would be helpful.
We do help them, financially, watching the 5 year old, etc. I am cordial to her and him, but given all the problems, hard to be over joyed.
Thanks.