Gransnet forums

AIBU

Getting drunk.

(85 Posts)
NanKate Thu 28-Aug-14 10:21:38

I read in the paper this week criticism of a retiring judge Mary Jane Mowat who said that women who get drunk are making themselves vulnerable to rape.

She has been pilloried for this very sensible statement IMO.

As a teenager my mother always warned me that I needed to keep my wits about me, especially where alcohol was involved. This advice stood me in good stead.

I am not saying that women need to dress very conservatively or not drink, just that we need to take responsibility for our own safety.

What do you think ?

Aka Thu 28-Aug-14 23:19:01

Crossed posts Ana same point being made.

I'd like to add too that it is difficult to establish just HOW drunk someone actually is, unless they are throwing up or passed out cold. I had a friend at college who could hold a reasonable conversation (it seemed) when well bladdered but you had to know her to realise this and she couldn't remember anything next morning.

Ana Thu 28-Aug-14 23:18:00

Yes - I thought that was my point, too! confused

Aka Thu 28-Aug-14 23:14:24

That's not her point.

Her point was how can a jury make a decision when the woman admits she was so drunk she has no memory of whether or not she gave consent.

So she may have been quite happy to have sex, eager even, but the next day hasn't a clue about it. How can a jury convict a man, who might have had a willing partner, but all she can say is 'I don't remember, but I'm sure I wouldn't have agreed'.

Ana Thu 28-Aug-14 23:11:44

Yes, I agree. The point I was trying to make earlier, though, was that a woman could give consent while being drunk but not 'completely out of it', and not remember a thing the next day.

I'm in no way excusing rape, just saying that if both parties have drunk a considerable amount of alcohol (or consumed a considerable quantity of drugs) it must be very hard to establish consent/non-consent or culpability.

Eloethan Thu 28-Aug-14 23:01:34

Sorry, I'm getting confused. I just thought that having sex with someone who is so drunk that she can't remember what she said, amounts to rape anyway.

Well, of course, it's silly to get very drunk but I've done it a couple of times in the past, though not deliberately. I can't see the point of the Judge's comments because it's not likely to change daft behaviour but it is likely to be misconstrued.

Ana Thu 28-Aug-14 22:32:06

I thought that was what we'd been discussing, Eloethan.

Eloethan Thu 28-Aug-14 22:23:00

I thought that if a man has sex with a woman when he is aware she is so drunk that she's completely "out of it" and incapable of giving consent, it constitutes rape? I suppose the problem would be proving that she was incapable of giving consent, and proving that he was aware of it? Does anyone know?

Deedaa Thu 28-Aug-14 21:49:32

Many of the girls I worked with seemed to think that getting off their faces and having no idea what they were doing was the sign of a great night out. The idea of things turning nasty never seemed to cross their minds.

In the version I read the judge was saying that there was no defence for raping a woman or taking advantage of a drunken one.

rosesarered Thu 28-Aug-14 21:15:46

Seems very sensible advice by your mother NanKate to me. Just as sensible as not tottering down dark alleyways [snickets] in high heels at one in the morning.Or hanging about in doorways wearing a mini skirt and low necked top.Or getting into cars full of men you hardly know.We all know in theory that you should be able to do these things, but will that theory comfort you later, when you have been raped?

Elegran Thu 28-Aug-14 21:06:39

If a woman can't remember giving her consent, then the man who has taken her consent for granted (or not even considered whether she was willing or not) is of course going to say that she consented enthusiastically and took the lead.

GrannyTwice Thu 28-Aug-14 20:55:48

Ana - seriously that's helpful. I'm just trying to get my head around the consent thing and remembering. I suppose if you were at a party and your friend saw you in a very drunk state go off into a bedroom with a bloke and then later you realised you'd had sex, there would be a case you had not been able to consent because there was so someone else who'd seen the state you were in just beforehand. As for being drunk - Ana goodness me! As if! But seriously, when I look back to my younger days, I can see now that I must have known a lot of very nice men ( as most of them are anyway) and never ended up in any tricky situations despite having drunk too much

Nonu Thu 28-Aug-14 20:53:09

I would think dark unlit alleyways are very , very dangerous in todays climate.
Wouldn"t catch me going down one alone, no way.

Ana Thu 28-Aug-14 20:37:30

Have you never been drunk, GrannyTwice? It's possible to feel completely in control and in charge of one's behaviour when under the influence, but to remember nothing the next morning. It's a well-known phenomenon. People actually joke about not remembering what they've done the night before.

So in answer to your question, yes, you may have consented at the time, but can't remember having done so the next day.

Nonu Thu 28-Aug-14 20:25:16

It is lovely IMO the difference between North & South.

Nonu Thu 28-Aug-14 20:23:58

Ginnel, is a lovely Northern word ,think we know it down South as alleyway.
grin

GrannyTwice Thu 28-Aug-14 20:23:08

But, I am genuinely puzzled here, if you can't remember if you consented then how can you have consented?

granjura Thu 28-Aug-14 19:41:10

Totally agree Feetle- but if a woman cannot remember if she did consent or not, because she has no memory at all of what happened...

granjura Thu 28-Aug-14 19:39:22

I am surprised you can't see the difference VampireQueen- it is not about being 'sensible'- but about being aware of what you are doing and sure about the circumstances, etc, of an attack- if one does happen.

If y woman cannot remember what happened, if she consented ... or not, etc, etc- then it is VERY, in fact totally, different.

GrannyTwice Thu 28-Aug-14 19:38:54

Thank you feetle

kittylester Thu 28-Aug-14 19:36:58

Most rapes are not by strangers in ginnells or by men hiding behind bushes! Most are by family members or people known to them!

whenim64 Thu 28-Aug-14 19:30:13

Dark, unlit ginnels should not be dangerous, nor should any woman anticipate being attacked when she leaves her house. I sometimes wonder if women are being subjected to covert curfews when the arrangements for moving around their neighbourhoods have to accommodate the risk of being jumped on. It's time men started having a serious talk with themselves and each other.

Nonu Thu 28-Aug-14 19:13:40

Bit Harsh, must be a totally terrible thing to be raped .

One must only feel sorrow for the victim , .

IMO

vampirequeen Thu 28-Aug-14 19:03:23

Why not? She chose to use the dark, isolated route. She put herself in the path of the stranger. If she'd been sensible she'd have taken the well lit but longer route where the man wouldn't have been able to attack her unseen.

If a drunk woman puts herself in a position of danger by making the wrong choices then surely my hypothetical woman has too.

granjura Thu 28-Aug-14 18:39:36

Absolutely not- just does not compare, at all.

vampirequeen Thu 28-Aug-14 18:35:54

A woman goes out on a freezing, wet night to buy a pint of milk. The short route which takes 5 minutes takes her through a dark, somewhat isolated ginnell. The long route is on a well lit road but it's a half hour walk. She chooses to take the short route which she has used many times before in daylight and dark. In the ginnell she is attacked by a male stranger.

She could have taken the longer well lit route but made the choice not to. Is the woman responsible for the attack?