Gransnet forums

AIBU

Getting drunk.

(84 Posts)
GrannyTwice Thu 28-Aug-14 11:08:59

It's not different at all - it's still focussing on the woman and not the man. She should have said as well that it was wrong of the men to take advantage and she didn't.

Riverwalk Thu 28-Aug-14 11:08:20

As I understand, the judge said that it was difficult to get convictions in cases where it was one person's word against the other as to whether consensual sex had taken place, and the woman was too drunk to remember anything.

That's far from blaming the woman.

GrannyTwice Thu 28-Aug-14 11:06:25

We simply shouldn't accept members of the judiciary and especially a woman saying things like that without also making comments about the men who take advantage - as ever, we shift the focus away from men controlling their behaviour to woman having to take responsibility for causing it.

mollie65 Thu 28-Aug-14 11:04:41

* Mary Jane Mowat who said that women who get drunk are making themselves vulnerable to rape.*

she did not condone rape or suggest that the women are 'asking for it'
if you read that quote as I do.
anything that removes your correct ' risk assessment' of a situation or incapacitates your reflexes (for flight or fight) is obviously to be avoided.
and she was referring to adult women not vulnerable children (different case altogether)

GrannyTwice Thu 28-Aug-14 11:00:33

Let's hear a male judge criticise men who rape drunken women shall we - oh thought not!

GrannyTwice Thu 28-Aug-14 10:58:48

The judge said that rape conviction rates won't improve unless young women stop getting drunk .Well, here's a novel idea

if men didn't rape a drunken woman in the first place, there would be no need to worry about a conviction would there?

And we wonder why Rotherham went unchecked for so long -oh I know, the slags girls asked for it

NanKate Thu 28-Aug-14 10:51:56

I agree KatyK that there is never any excuse for rape, but isn't it just sensible to be responsible for your own safety ?

I wouldn't go an sit alone at night in our local town centre, because I would be opening myself up to assault, robbery etc.

I realise that youngsters get drunk, it's part of growing up.

I suspect we won't agree on this one, but at least it is good that we can have an open discussion.

KatyK Thu 28-Aug-14 10:30:45

Sorry I can't agree. Most young women will get drunk at some point in their lives. What does this say about what she thinks of men? That they are waiting to pounce on drunken women? There is no excuse for rape under any circumstances. If a woman is raped while she was drunk, would the case be thrown out of court then?

NanKate Thu 28-Aug-14 10:21:38

I read in the paper this week criticism of a retiring judge Mary Jane Mowat who said that women who get drunk are making themselves vulnerable to rape.

She has been pilloried for this very sensible statement IMO.

As a teenager my mother always warned me that I needed to keep my wits about me, especially where alcohol was involved. This advice stood me in good stead.

I am not saying that women need to dress very conservatively or not drink, just that we need to take responsibility for our own safety.

What do you think ?