Gransnet forums

AIBU

our beautiful English language is being defiled

(40 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sun 07-Sep-14 10:41:16

Does anyone else think that our beautiful language is defiled.
Recently I had a post from someone who said ffs, I discovered that it is a foul language abbreviation.
Our beautiful language has so many lovely adjectives that can be used to describe and situation without resorting to foul expletives.
I have only studied English to A level standard, my biggest regret is not to have gone on to degree level, however I love words and play on words.
I really think that people who use such language cant have much education. I find this happens every day, I hear kids in the streets shouting the F word, its on TV and films. Overuse of the F word has not made it less effective. I even hear parents using it in front of children.

The F word is supposed to describe an act of love so why does it have to be used as an insult. The B word is an adjective to describe someones parentage, why does that too have to be used as a swear word.

While I agree that everyone has the freedom to choose their behaviour, how has our society resorted to such lack of respect that people use such words to others. Any ideas.

sunseeker Sun 07-Sep-14 11:04:39

I too dislike the use of swear words, unfortunately it is a fact of life these days - you can't put the genie back in the bottle. I fear as we have become desensitised to the F word we will start to hear the, as yet, rarely used C word used more often.

I rarely swear as I think the English language is rich enough that I can express my feelings without it.

kittylester Sun 07-Sep-14 11:59:34

I don't really like swearing but admit to doing it when sorely tried or when it might add comic emphasis. Swearing is a part of our rich language and language usage evolves all the time.

I saw the post to which I think you are referring and I don't think it was that bad!

Aka Sun 07-Sep-14 12:01:20

For heavens sake, what are we, a bunch of mealy mouthed old grannies?

Aka Sun 07-Sep-14 12:02:53

I agree Kitty

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 12:04:02

grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 12:04:49

(the grin was in response to the original post)

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 12:05:43

(You gotta love some posters on here!) smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 12:08:49

sunseeker No! Never that. Different altogether.

Elegran Sun 07-Sep-14 12:25:16

I don't like it over-used, but there are times when I use swear-words for emophasis. If you over-use any tool it can become too blunt for when you really need it, so I keep them for occasional use.

Some posters have a low flash point when it appears to them that others are not using their heads, and strong words appear. Thank your lucky stars when you only get the acronyms.

janeainsworth Sun 07-Sep-14 12:26:02

According to Wikipedia,
"Fuck has become increasingly less vulgar and more publicly acceptable, an example of the "dysphemism treadmill", wherein vulgarities become inoffensive and commonplace."

Thank you Ethel, I have learned a new expression today. I rather like dyphemism treadmill and shall store it up for future use.

Try not to worry about these things. The words themselves don't really matter, it's the intent with which they are spoken that is important.

Having said that, if the C-word, which according to Wiki is the most offensive word in the English language, became subject to the dysphemism treadmill, even I might feel that was a step too far.

Elegran Sun 07-Sep-14 12:33:08

I was going to comment on the difference between using a swear-word (or hinting at one) for emphasis in what you are saying and using it as a weapon against someone - calling the "You f****r" for instance.

And also, on the way posters can be insulted by implication, without a bad word being used - accused of selfishness, hypocrisy, smugness, pride, boasting, excluding others, hundreds of things which exist only in the mind of the reader. Is that worse or better than a general swear-word?

janeainsworth Sun 07-Sep-14 12:48:54

Well put as usual, Elegran.

Eloethan Sun 07-Sep-14 13:32:50

I agree Elegran.

kittylester Sun 07-Sep-14 13:50:44

Quite Elegran

whenim64 Sun 07-Sep-14 13:56:10

What Elegran said.

I don't think there is a correlation between swearing and lack of education.

annodomini Sun 07-Sep-14 14:20:49

I don't use swear words or acronyms in writing because I can usually find an effective alternative. However, I do sometimes indulge in an expletive in speaking, though often enough this is when speaking to myself, for example when expressing my frank opinion of other drivers. With friends and relatives, I am careful how I express myself, so why should I be any different with GNs whom I don't know?

Aka Sun 07-Sep-14 15:15:41

I think there is a correlation between the way people swear and education though. Some people use the well placed expletive in the same way you might add a spice to a dish to liven it up. Others sling them around as if they were trying to earn a badge for the overuse of the few words they know.

Lona Sun 07-Sep-14 16:08:57

Just found this on facebook, I'm sure you'll all appreciate it! grin

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=497018893753049

PRINTMISS Sun 07-Sep-14 16:15:27

I don't swear, - my grandmother knew them all, and used them to us as children (we all lived together). I know my husband swears and the rest of the family, but none of them use that language whilst with me. I appreciate the men who swear when I am around, and take the trouble to apologise to me - although I'm not that bothered by it. I do find sometimes on certain threads here, though that I find it unnecessary and irritating. I hope that doesn't make me sound a prude!
I just don't feel the need to swear.

HollyDaze Sun 07-Sep-14 16:21:30

I dislike the use of swear words in general simply because I don't see the point of them other than they are used to offend. I always downgrade a person that uses gratuitous swearing in everyday language.

If I hit my hand with a hammer or dropped something heavy on my foot, it's unlikey that I would say 'whoops' but to date, I have always had enough words to be able to adequately describe how I feel about something without resorting to gutter talk.

HollyDaze Sun 07-Sep-14 16:24:57

And also, on the way posters can be insulted by implication, without a bad word being used - accused of selfishness, hypocrisy, smugness, pride, boasting, excluding others, hundreds of things which exist only in the mind of the reader.

There are some FMs who are habitual users of that tactic - writing posts that imply that the person they are addressing is either obtuse or of low intellect; both equally irritating to read.

The old saying: 'if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all' often springs to mind when I read some things that are said on this forum (and others).

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 16:30:00

I am so glad the last two posters weren't in my kitchen a few hours ago, when my lovely beef gravy missed the plates and went on the work surface instead. Luckily there was just me so no tender sensibilities were disturbed.

Though, come to think of it, there are no such sensibilities in my immediate family, praise the Lord! smile

ninathenana Sun 07-Sep-14 16:46:52

Yes I swear for emphasis but not in posts. Although I do occasionally use it in texts but never the 'C' word.

I don't think the 'f' word is associated with love making really, to me it's more to do with sexual gratification. Which is an entirely different thing.

Lona Sun 07-Sep-14 17:03:12

The link I put up ^^ shows what a versatile word the F word can be if used liberally.