Gransnet forums

AIBU

Children's names

(130 Posts)
NanKate Sat 25-Oct-14 22:04:59

Is it me or are children given some weird and unusual names nowadays?

Today I was out shopping and heard a family calling for their boy/girl with the name of Coven. Do they know that is a group of witches? Then someone else said 'Come here Anastasia' clearly a more cultured child bit still a bit of a mouthful.

How do the teachers manage to learn all these names as many are just made up. My friend's granddaughter is called 'Sky' as she was conceived in the open air. hmm

Deedaa Sun 02-Nov-14 22:58:02

I'm always surprised that people never seem to look further than the baby in the cot. Suppose your little darling goes on to be a high court judge or even prime minister? "Pray silence for the Right Honorable Princess, or Rainbow or Ace?" At the same time I have looked at tiny babies and wondered how anyone could have called them Humphrey or Winifred!

I had a friend who called her oldest son Aragorn (Down to his father actually) this was soon shortened to Gorny! her other children all had quite normal names.

numberplease Fri 31-Oct-14 23:50:52

I rather like the name Tuesday, and Friday, as in the folk singer Friday Brown, years ago.

rosequartz Fri 31-Oct-14 19:46:48

Does anyone remember the film star called Tuesday Weld?

I thought of her when Nicole Kidman named her daughter Sunday Rose (was she born on a Sunday? So was I, so thankyou DM for not thinking of that one!).

sherish Fri 31-Oct-14 12:38:08

Victoria Beckham named her daughter after Harper Lee who wrote 'To kill a mockingbird' and Seven after David's number on his football shirt.

rosequartz Fri 31-Oct-14 12:37:09

I have heard of more than one little boy named 'Cain'.
Do these parents realise?

lefthanded Fri 31-Oct-14 12:26:57

My grandson has a classmate named Preston - not sure where that came from! I am quite pleased that said grandson is actually a good old-fashioned Oliver George - names which an American lady of my acquaintance described as "names to live up to".

AlieOxon Fri 31-Oct-14 11:58:23

I recently met a little boy called Orlando....he may get some interesting comments later?

But the worst name I heard, years ago, was Judas.

TerriBull Thu 30-Oct-14 21:24:10

I wouldn't dispute that VB has turned herself into a successful business woman, she has done wonders in promoting brand Beckham which does display a business acumen on her part. I have also read that she has a sense of humour. I think it's a shame she doesn't let the mask slip sometimes. The fashion world takes itself far too seriously, it's awash with stony faced people who appear to be sucking on lemons whilst they gather around catwalks as if they are about to witness the second coming.

However, I have digressed, the original subject, "childrens' names" I haven't commented on the Beckhams' choice of names, although I would say I wish they would be a bit more circumspect in keeping their children out of the media glare, I don't think children should be subject to public scrutiny it doesn't seem fair.

Ana Thu 30-Oct-14 21:23:22

No one's saying she's not lovely.

Deedaa Thu 30-Oct-14 21:19:16

Don't knock VB. A friend of mine who worked for her said she was very nice (but tiny) and absolutely besotted with her children.

annodomini Thu 30-Oct-14 20:46:00

She may have read 'Mockingbird' as a set book for 'O' level. Wasn't she the Spice Girl who had 'O' levels?

bookdreamer Thu 30-Oct-14 20:43:58

That seems a little cruel terribull. I think she is a successful business woman now and has done very well and to my mind that seems to imply a certain intelligence.

rosequartz Thu 30-Oct-14 20:36:50

Perhaps you all misjudge her; apparently she is quite good fun and has a gsoh but puts on this show of looking miserable for the press.
She may not have a PhD but she can't be stupid to do what she is doing - and she is earning in her own right not just being a WAG!

Anyway, there is a magazine called 'Harper's Bazaar', perhaps the little girl was called after that! I haven't read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' either (mental note to self to do so asap).

(No I am not her aunty)

TerriBull Thu 30-Oct-14 20:17:34

There is a book VB likes it's called "Vogue", it's got lots of pictures and not too many words.

The pictures are of very thin women looking miserable and wearing expensive clothes.

Sometimes they give misleading information, one edition a little while ago had VB herself in a country style setting wearing welly boots. Everyone knows VB doesn't wear anything sensible on her feet, or slosh about in mud, particularly as she is trying to complete with Anna Wintour for the crown of fashion's most scowly woman. It's about as likely as VB reading a book grin

absent Thu 30-Oct-14 19:46:32

I read that the other children suggested Harper after a favourite cartoon character – but then you can't always believe what you read in newspapers.

NanKate Thu 30-Oct-14 17:34:15

Well I'm surprised Ana I wouldn't have had Victoria B down as a bookworm. hmm

Ana Thu 30-Oct-14 13:10:05

Victoria Beckham is supposed to have said that the reason she called her daughter Harper was because To Kill a Mockingbird is her favourite book.

I'm saying nothing...

rosequartz Thu 30-Oct-14 13:00:23

Although I think that Harper is used more in America, even though it is English in origin. Remember 'To Kill a Mockingbird' written by Harper Lee? and I have just read an Australian novel where one of the characters was called Harper.

Nonny Thu 30-Oct-14 12:07:25

The Beckhams' daughter Harper always makes me think of Harpic toilet cleaner. Poor child!

hespian Thu 30-Oct-14 11:10:15

Sorry - I'm not good at spelling backwards. It was Lanesra!!

Ana Thu 30-Oct-14 10:06:50

Sweden, Iceland, Germany, Italy and some other countries have a similar attititude. Given names must not be likely to cause offence, or be a source of embarrassment to the child in later life.

rosequartz Thu 30-Oct-14 09:59:38

I remember reading years ago that some registrars in New Zealand refused to register children whose parents had chosen whacky way-out names. They told them to go away and think again.

feetlebaum Thu 30-Oct-14 08:27:43

Frank Zappa named his son Dweezil and I think there was a daughter called Moon Unit...

I'm always surprised at people who register a birth with a forename that's actually an informal shortened name - Bill, Mick, Jim etc - and recently I came across a registration of a child named Del. Seems wrong to me!

hespian Thu 30-Oct-14 08:08:42

I once spoke to a child in my school about the new arrival in her family. When I asked her baby sister's name she told me "Laresna". I said that was unusual and she told me it was Arsenal spelt backwards. Imagine explaining that one as she goes through life!

kittylester Thu 30-Oct-14 07:38:30

Both DH's family and mine have the same boy's name in every generation so we 'obliged' and called DS2 the same and it does cause confusion!