Gransnet forums

AIBU

Birthdays blues

(60 Posts)
KatyK Tue 13-Jan-15 18:30:47

Sounds like you do an awful lot for them Thistle. Someone said on another thread once that it seems the more you do for them the more you get taken for granted and forgotten about. Sad but true in some cases.

Jane10 Tue 13-Jan-15 18:23:54

Sounds like a job for your DH thistle. He should have a quiet word with the culprits - and they are culprits! What a shame. Happy birthday from me!

NotTooOld Tue 13-Jan-15 18:16:22

My birthday was also on Friday, Thistledoo - so happy birthday to both of us, eh? Yes, you should definitely feel hard done by but perhaps not surprised. My daughter always manages a present and a card as well as (usually) a phone call. My son did forget once and DH made it plain to him that it was not good enough. Since then he has managed a card and, sometimes, a phone call or text. Once I even got some flowers but that was a 'big' birthday and has not happened since. I don't know what the answer is, perhaps it is just to develop a thick skin - or to 'forget' their birthdays as well. How about resorting to a tearful telephone call at the end of the day to make them feel guilty? Grr. Kids. Don't let them get you down.

ninathenana Tue 13-Jan-15 18:12:38

This has happened to me before. I'm asked what I would like by DD but it never appears. I sometimes get a card from her and occasionally she will buy one from from DGC.
I would be very happy with just a card made by DGC. You aren't being unreasonable Thistle I know how you feel flowers

BTW I'm still waiting for the cover for my kindle she was buying me for Christmas!!

KatyK Tue 13-Jan-15 18:04:41

I wouldn't be very happy. It's rather thoughtless and selfish. My DD always comes to visit the day before with presents and cards so I have them to open on the day. When she was a teenager there were times when she was less than thoughtful on my birthday, but that's teenagers for you. No excuse for grown ups (in my opinion)

loopylou Tue 13-Jan-15 17:57:28

Definitely not good enough!

Thistledoo Tue 13-Jan-15 17:55:31

Son arrived yesterday to pick up DGS , and said, Oh by the way, happy birthday for Friday. Grrrrrr.

loopylou Tue 13-Jan-15 17:53:52

I'd certainly be a moaning cow too (at the very least!) if that happened to me, big time!
DS rarely sends any cards but he and DDIL always phone or FaceTime and DD always sends a card and phones too.
I don't expect presents from anyone but I love having a card or a call.
Belated Happy Birthday Thistledoo, flowers x

Marelli Tue 13-Jan-15 17:50:19

Happy birthday for Friday, Thistledoo - and no, you are not a moaning old cow. Sometimes our adult children are so bloomin' selfish, aren't they? Have you not even had a phone call or text to wish you a happy birthday?

Thistledoo Tue 13-Jan-15 17:45:54

I'm wondering is any GNs out there might feel the same way I do at, or, am I just being a truly selfish and indeed childish. I had a birthdays on Friday, not a big one (69 actually). I received a nice pressie of earrings from Mr Thistle, I also had a couple of cards from a cousin and friends, I was well pleased with this. I have 3 GC and two children and did expect to hear from them with some cards or perhaps a small gift, but alas nothing came, GC are too young to do anything themselves, but I kind of thought the DS or DD might think of something for the kids to give me.
I do loads of Childcare for all three GC collecting from school taking to activities cooking plus buying lots of clothes shoes etc.
it's not as though they forgot as my DD told me when she came to collect GD that she had a card for me in the house. However this turns out to be a lie.
Am I just a moaning old cow or do I perhaps have some justification in feeling used and not appreciated.