Gransnet forums

AIBU

politicians sniping at each other

(56 Posts)
Mishap Wed 28-Jan-15 19:58:55

It really is not very edifying and extremely tiresome - I am sure they know that we would rather listen to positive policies, but they seem unable to resist the temptation to sniping and rudeness.

etheltbags1 Wed 28-Jan-15 19:35:56

Surely I am not alone in thinking it is really bad manners to insult each other like this, especially on tv.
I work for a polling company and so I meet many excited voters in my work, they all try to convince me to vote for one or the other, which is quite reasonable and if they wish to be nasty about anyone that is normal for the man in the street, but its the candidates or the party leaders that annoy me, on tv, slagging the opposition off.

absent Wed 28-Jan-15 19:27:32

It's much easier to slag off the other parties or the opposing candidates than it is to present a sensible, reasoned argument about why your own policies are the best. UK politicians are by no means the only ones who do this but the system is such that simply winning hearts and minds is not enough; actively defeating the rest is essential.

durhamjen Wed 28-Jan-15 19:20:47

Because they are worried about their jobs?
Or maybe because they really do not like each other.

loopylou Wed 28-Jan-15 19:01:38

Having just heard 'our' useless MP supporting a discredited West Country MP I quite frankly neither believe a word any of them say nor do I intend to vote for him.....or anyone else.

etheltbags1 Wed 28-Jan-15 18:49:52

I have never been loyal to any political party as I have always listened to their manifestos and thought, maybe Conservatives have the right idea, then I would listen to Labours ideas and think, 'oh I will vote for them', then I favour the Greens as I am very concerned about our environment, and so on....
I guess I must be a floating voter, so having more time at the minute to watch tv and seeing the start of the run up to the election, I am awaiting to have my mind made up but what really annoys me is the sniping and rudeness of the politicians from every party.
These people are usually from the most highly educated group of society and are eloquent and highly persuasive so why do they insist on insulting each others parties, am I being unreasonable in thinking they should be able to attract voters by stating their intentions in a positive manner and simply not having a 'go' at the other candidates.
They are so childish, I really feel that now I will vote for the party that has candidates who behave in a well mannered way, does anyone know why they behave as they do.