Gransnet forums

AIBU

snobby charity shops

(110 Posts)
JessM Sun 01-Mar-15 12:57:12

The "staff" will be volunteers won't they. The quality of customer service inevitably affects the quality of the volunteers. Sometimes they are on "work experience" because they can't get a job.
Don't charity shops exist to raise money for their charitable causes? They will not succeed if their shops are full of junk being sold for next to nothing.
The smaller ones may have better bargains but I would never, ever donate to them - I once had cause to visit one (in the course of work) and they had a huge basement full to the ceiling with damp mouldering donations.
Things like sheets, if not wanted by charities, can be donated to other charities e.g. YMCA, Women's refuge etc

etheltbags1 Sun 01-Mar-15 12:54:28

tanith, I thought they would have cctv in all their shops.

tanith Sun 01-Mar-15 12:53:14

I was reading an article this morning about how much money/goods are stolen by the staff in charity stores...

I agree about the snobbishness.. but I also don't want to give my 'stuff' when half the time its being stolen taken by the staff

etheltbags1 Sun 01-Mar-15 12:52:51

Bring back the scruffy charity shops, as I have often said, thing s will wash. Im not too proud to have bought towels (admittedly they were new looking and had no signs of wear or stains) and ive had second hand sheets given by a friend, stuff that some gnetters would throw up their hands in horror but I was in need at the time, recently widowed and had a small child and I was quite happy to boil everything and add conditioner.
I think that instead of having a 'blanket' ban on such items maybe they should just take them and sell the best stuff, my aunt said they refused to take a new wool blanket that was in its wrapper unopened and Im sure many people would be glad of that. They could recycle the less than perfect stuff and I know that recycling businesses do buy bags from charity shops-another source of income.

Grannyknot Sun 01-Mar-15 12:43:52

That is terrible grammar but you get the drift. I just saw a man in Tesco with a t-shirt on that read "I am silently correcting your grammar".

Grannyknot Sun 01-Mar-15 12:42:31

Lol. There is a very snobbish charity shop in a village near where I live, and the women who work there are all pale gold bob haircut, a mid calf linen straight skirt and cream pumps. grin It ain't cheap in there!

etheltbags1 Sun 01-Mar-15 12:41:54

I too find local smaller charity shops are best, after all, we don't have to buy anything if we don't like it. I hate it when a new item has been donated and it still has a price tag on it and the charity shop has put a higher price than the original.

etheltbags1 Sun 01-Mar-15 12:41:25

I too find local smaller charity shops are best, after all, we don't have to buy anything if we don't like it. I hate it when a new item has been donated and it still has a price tag on it and the charity shop has put a higher price than the original.

petra Sun 01-Mar-15 12:37:32

Totally agree. The worst round our way is The British heart Foundation.
In fact the are so bad with this attitude that I haven't been in one for years.
It's not charity anymore, it's business. Look at some of the wages that the managers are getting.
I only support our local Samaritans shop and our own local Sea Scouts.
The Scout shop is wonderful. They take anything, and nobody is paid.
And don't start me on the prices!!!

etheltbags1 Sun 01-Mar-15 12:24:51

am I being unreasonable to think that charity shops have gone 'snobby'.
At one time you could root around in a 50p box and unearth a jumper that with a good wash would last for a long time. Books were coppers and so what if they had a bit of 'dog ears' the story wasn't affected.
The volunteers were friendly and would have a little chat but what a change nowadays.
The clothes are all colour co-ordinated (as if we cant see for ourselves what colour we want), the books are all next to new and cost £2 at least.
Everything is fashionable and nothing old is in sight. The staff are the worst, all dressed up smartly and looking down their noses as you go in the door. They pounce on you as soon as entering and ask if they can help, just as in a normal shop. That's not what most charity shoppers want, we can go to a shop selling new items anyday, we want a good root around to seek a bargain.
They will not take anything, no sheets, towels, underwear or socks. My aunt was in tears as she tried to get them to take bedding from her late sisters house, all clean and unstained and very good quality.
They will lose custom with this attitude, anyone agree with me.