Gransnet forums

AIBU

Annoyed all over again!

(37 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 15-Mar-15 09:18:00

When shopping in M&s yesterday I idly checked for my bra size and was amazed to find one in stock. (usually cant find the right size am either a mutant or wear the most popular size hence sells out!). Anyway, when I paid for it the young man just pushed it over the counter to me. I had forgotten that no bags were now offered. I had to stuff it in my handbag. Imagine how pleasant it was when it fell out at the checkout at the foodstore. I had my grubby and much used food shopping bags with me and would not have put brand new underwear in them. Is it unreasonable to expect clothes shops to provide bags for expensive new clothes? I have not noticed any charities rejoicing in all the funds now supposed to be flowing to them from the shops who now charge for carriers but are supposed (but not required) to pass on these charges to them. Win win for the shops. If shops were required to provide biodegradeable/paper bags we'd all be winners and the poly bags would disappear. As it is people are left very pissed off annoyed!

Anya Sun 15-Mar-15 09:21:25

It is reasinable for checkout staff to ask if you want a bag.

Anya Sun 15-Mar-15 09:21:37

Reasonable

loopylou Sun 15-Mar-15 09:23:35

I didn't realise M&S had started doing this hmm
Certainly my local store put the bits I bought in a bag last weekend. I know you have to pay for one if you buy food.
How exasperating!

J52 Sun 15-Mar-15 09:25:35

DH recently bought a suit, in Scotland where there is a no bag policy.
The sales assistant asked him if he had brought a suit carrier with him! confused x

J52 Sun 15-Mar-15 09:31:43

Also, you have to be very careful to keep the receipt, especially on small things that you put in your pocket or handbag.x

thatbags Sun 15-Mar-15 09:44:18

If you want a plastic bag—to prevent such potentially embarassing happenings at supermarkets checkouts, for instance—you can ask for one, and pay for it.

I now carry three carefully flattened and folded plastic carrier bags in my shoulder bag, to cover most eventualities. They don't take up much space and they don't weigh much.

thatbags Sun 15-Mar-15 09:44:56

Three because they are different sizes: small, medium and large.

Grannyknot Sun 15-Mar-15 10:04:08

Jeepers bags you are super-organised. The type of brain I have, I carry one bag only, a largish one.

Jane10 Sun 15-Mar-15 10:05:00

Is that why you chose your user name thatbags?! I always have a food shopping bag FYI but not a clean spare bag stowed in case of impulse buys. Think I'll stick to online shopping. Lots of packaging there!
England has a lot to look forward to when this policy hits them. Its badly thought out.

Grannyknot Sun 15-Mar-15 10:07:36

... covering all size eventualities. grin.

If I don't have a bag on me, I ask for one if not offered, and I've told before how I did that in Boots and the woman serving me leant over the counter to check the size of my handbag (or that's I assumed). It made me cross so I walked out.

shabby Sun 15-Mar-15 10:10:11

In London this only happens if you pay for clothes in the food dept checkouts at all other checkouts at M & S still give free bags for clothing.

Anya Sun 15-Mar-15 10:32:47

Well impressed Bags with your organisational skills. I always take spare plastic bags with me and I invariably leave them in the car.

henetha Sun 15-Mar-15 10:36:46

My local M&S still puts clothes in bags... or did up until last Saturday when I bought a cardigan, - free of charge (the bag, not the cardigan!)
I do always carry a fold up shopping bag in my handbag though.

tanith Sun 15-Mar-15 10:50:47

I hadn't realised they did this but I do have a thin canvas bag carefully folded in each of my handbags so I always have one handy.. means I don't have to remember as there is always one there when needed.

NotTooOld Sun 15-Mar-15 11:42:08

I'm with Jane. I find it infuriating when shops won't give me a bag. I refuse to pay for one. Why can't the shops come up with something biodegradeable? As for M and S, last time I was in there they did provide bags for clothes, and so they should, but I gather it won't last Grrr..

janerowena Sun 15-Mar-15 12:29:05

I bought something the other week, and was given a bag. Oh dear. I usually buy my underwear there, it's a good job my handbag is so big!

janerowena Sun 15-Mar-15 12:30:33

We could all get revenge by taking out a supermarket carrier bag to transport our clothes in and waving it about proudly! Maybe Waitrose, just to get up their noses...

glammanana Sun 15-Mar-15 12:58:34

I do carry a folded bag in my everybag bag for emergency purchases always have done for years but there is no way I would expect to make a purchase of underwear as you did Jane and be expected it to be shoved across the counter as your purchase was,indeed the purchase would be shoved back and a refund requested pronto.Service is service at the end of the day.

KatyK Sun 15-Mar-15 13:00:42

Our M & S puts clothes in bags automatically.

Anya Sun 15-Mar-15 13:01:24

I like your style * Glamma* grin

Jane10 Sun 15-Mar-15 16:36:03

Its not the law in England yet so you should be ok for a while. If coming up to Scotland or Wales be prepared!

Coolgran65 Sun 15-Mar-15 17:07:45

Here in N. Ireland we don't get bags in M & S, or anywhere. We buy one if we want it. It doesn't take long to get into the habit of having a very small lightweight nylon fold-up in the corner of a handbag. Primark do one for a £1 and its pretty good.

The bonus.... there are no plastic bags lying about the roads, in the hedges, or hanging from tall trees.

Once used to it, it's well worth it.

Leticia Sun 15-Mar-15 17:12:53

You have to pay for a bag for food shopping but in our M&S you automatically get a free bag for clothes. I have always been given a free bag in any shop for clothes. I don't see how they can do otherwise - they need to be clean.

Eloethan Sun 15-Mar-15 17:16:01

I bought some jeans in M&S recently and they just automatically put them in a bag.