Gransnet forums

AIBU

Outrageous ageism at the toddler singalong!!

(113 Posts)
elena Fri 15-May-15 14:40:15

I have been laughing at this, and I am not actually offended, but this incident deserves sharing, I think smile
I took my toddler grandson to a storytime/singalong event (I won't say where, so as to protect the guilty!). One of the songs was 'Wheels on the Bus' and the organiser led the singing through what the doors did, what the bell did and so on, in the usual way.
Then he started on a bus about what the grannies on the bus do.
'The grannies on the bus all smell of wee, smell of wee, smell of wee....'

!!!!!

I was sitting right in front of him (not smelling of wee, as far as I know smile ), and I don't think the verse was actually directed at me...but I was rather taken aback at this. Talk about tactless, agist and not a very nice lesson for the little ones in the group!

elena Fri 15-May-15 14:40:57

Sorry - he started on a verse about what the grannies do...

loopylou Fri 15-May-15 14:42:37

That's one version I won't be sharing with DGS!

trisher Fri 15-May-15 14:52:06

Haven't heard that one before! and thought I knew every version. It is quite funny, but he should be careful he might get attacked by a group of grannies. (Was it Spike Milligan's programme or Monty Python that had gangs of grannies?)

GrannyTwice Fri 15-May-15 15:00:59

On my dgs' bus the grannies go knit knit knit which may be a stereotype but a harmless one.

KatyK Fri 15-May-15 15:07:51

I wouldn't have been very happy at that to be honest.

Lona Fri 15-May-15 15:12:07

I think I would have had friendly word with him afterwards! Not a very nice thing to teach children even if it's sometimes true! grin

KatyK Fri 15-May-15 15:13:54

I'm going to be spending every spare minute in the shower now!!!!

GrannyTwice Fri 15-May-15 15:14:34

Elena - I've been thinking a bit more about this. What is your AIBU actually about - the fact the you weren't offended and found it funny? In that case YABU because we should be encouraging our DC/DGC to be kind . If it had been me, I would have had a quiet word with the leader of the singing afterwards.

GrannyTwice Fri 15-May-15 15:15:08

X posts

KatyK Fri 15-May-15 15:17:16

I'm surprised someone hasn't pulled him up about it before, unless this is the first time he's sung it.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 15-May-15 15:18:14

I would have been so angry at that. At the very least I would have picked the little one up and walked out.

ninathenana Fri 15-May-15 15:20:47

He was out of order. What a thing to teach toddlers. Definitely needs a word in his shell like.

Lapwing Fri 15-May-15 15:21:02

I would have complained because little ones are like sponges and could repeat what was said causing hurt and embarrassment.

GrannyTwice Fri 15-May-15 15:22:30

Missed it was a man - ok here goes ' the grandad on the bus has a floppy willy floppy willy floppy willy.....'

Lapwing Fri 15-May-15 15:30:23

Oops, just spluttered diet coke everywhere.

Smileless2012 Fri 15-May-15 15:36:24

And I've just chocked on my coffeegrin.

feetlebaum Fri 15-May-15 15:38:55

@trisher - It was Monty Python's Flying Circus,with "Hell's Grannies" - roving bands of old ladies spreading terror...

elena Fri 15-May-15 15:47:17

I know I am not being unreasonable in thinking this was out of order. I still found it funny - in an aghast way, if you know what I mean, that he could be so ridiculously inappropriate. I could not have walked out as I would have made such a clatter climbing over people and prams. Yes, I could have had a word with him afterwards, and probably should have done. It would have been a gentle word! If I go again, and he sings it again, I promise I will.

AshTree Fri 15-May-15 15:55:02

I find this SO offensive! I think if I had been physically unable to leave the room with my GC I would have stood up and interrupted the singing and there would be nothing gentle about what I would have said to him!

Mishap Fri 15-May-15 16:40:04

I find this thoroughly objectionable. One of the lovely things about small children is that they accept everyone, all ages, all colours, beautiful or ugly just as they are and make no judgements. To put this sort of idea into their heads and to encourage the to find it amusing really is out of order.

I don't very often get truly irritated by things, but this has really pulled my chain. I spent many years working with elderly and/or disabled people and sometimes they did smell of wee - and they did not find it at all funny, just embarrassing.

To be honest I would get in touch with the people who ran the event and complain.

janerowena Fri 15-May-15 16:49:57

I think that's pretty horrible. I think you ought to go again, and take lots of grannies with you. Terrorise him with 'The daddies on the bus all check their prostates...'

soontobe Fri 15-May-15 17:02:46

Was he smiling at the time?
Or was eveyone singing it routinely?

GrannyTwice Fri 15-May-15 17:16:06

Elena - could you do that? Get in touch with the people who run the event and complain? Or just post the link on here and some of us will do the rest.

hildajenniJ Fri 15-May-15 17:28:11

Elena I don't think I would have been able to keep quiet. I'm afraid I would have said something! I worked most of my adult life with dementia sufferers who were incontinent of urine. We did out very best to make sure they did not smell of wee. Like other posters here I think you should complain to the organisers of this event. They weren't "The Singing Kettle" were they?