Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bottle feeding mothers

(108 Posts)
TerriBull Thu 28-May-15 18:08:27

I have read a couple of articles today, one in the Times and the other in the Huffington Post, that suggest that a fair percentage of mothers who have opted to bottle feed their babies have met with negative reactions. Am I being unreasonable to feel that it's absolutely none of anyone else's business but the mother's, as to which way she uses to feed her baby.

TerriBull Thu 28-May-15 18:09:34

which way she chooses not uses.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-May-15 18:11:59

It might be of concern to the baby when it's older. You would feel disturbed at a baby being in a cigarette smoke filled room. Why not at seeing a baby deprived of something so beneficial to future health?

Ana Thu 28-May-15 18:14:19

That's a shocking way of looking at it, jingl, IMO!

There could be any number of reasons why a mother is unable to breastfeed and feels guilty enough about it as it is - and the comparison with a smoke-filled room is ridiculous.

TerriBull Thu 28-May-15 18:20:03

Yes I would be disturbed if a baby was exposed to cigarette smoke and would regard it as quite unnecessary, I really don't think bottle feeding a baby can be put into the same category. In any event there could be a multitude of reasons why an individual has made the choice to bottle feed, it could be the only option for them I don't think anyone else has the right to make a judgement about that.

Agus Thu 28-May-15 18:23:50

Absolutely no comparison to a smoke filled room!

It is no one else's business how a mother chooses to feed her baby. There will always be the judgemental busybodies though!

aggie Thu 28-May-15 18:23:54

I breast fed my 6 , my DDs breast fed , my DIL bottle fed and they are all fine . I would never question bottle feeding Mothers , some people can't some won't and surely it is better to bottle feed successfully than resentfully breast feed . Must add that I loved giving GS his bottle

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-May-15 18:25:07

I am thinking of mothers who choose to not breastfeed, for their own reasons. Obviously if they can't manage it, that's quite different.

loopylou Thu 28-May-15 18:25:34

Absolutely agree Ana
So long as mother and baby are relaxed and the baby's doing well it doesn't matter one jot that it's not breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding isn't the be all and end all, if it goes well that's fine, if it isn't working out then far better to happily bottle feed without judgement from anyone.

I BF DD for 9 months, DS for 3 weeks because it was stressing us both out.

Comparing with a smoke-filled room is ludicrous! One's a matter of mother and baby both doing well, the other's a health hazard for anyone!

Bottle feeding isn't depriving the baby, total tosh!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-May-15 18:27:05

Perhaps the cigarette smoke scenario is a bit extreme, but according to the latest research into the benefits of breastfeeding, not a lot.

TriciaF Thu 28-May-15 18:37:36

The Sunday Times article last week suggested that the trend for choosing cesarian births and bottle feeding could lead to the evolution of women losing the ability to give birth "normally", or breastfeed.
No proof yet, but evidently a possibility.
That's how I read it anyway.

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Thu 28-May-15 18:38:48

I think it is a personal decision. I do support breat is best and great if Mums can give it a try but if it's not working out maybe a less stressed mum bottle feeding is preferable to a stressed one struggling with feeding the baby herself. I was a National Dried milk baby as I think a lot of post war babies were and I have been in relatively good health all my life ( up to now, probably get everything going now !) .

Tegan Thu 28-May-15 18:40:54

I do feel that a mother should breast feed if possible but there is an awful lot of pressure these days on young mothers to breast feed and I'm sure it can be one of the causes of PND in mothers who want to breast feed but can't. I often wonder if I was breast fed; I was premature so I guess the chances are that I wasn't but I've really no idea...not something I ever asked my mum. What does upset me is seeing young mothers out and about with babies/toddlers either walking or in push chairs that have got their eyes glued to their mobiles and aren't talking to their child sad.My little grandchild has been given a dummy and mum and dad are quite embarrassed about it...I pointed out that I certainly tried a dummy with both of mine at various times and would have carried on doing so if they'd've taken to them. Too much pressure on young mums all round these days [including having to get their figures back withing two weeks].

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-May-15 18:41:00

From the NHS website:

Breastfeeding is good for babies. Breastfed babies have:

less chance of diarrhoea and vomiting and having to go to hospital as a result
fewer chest and ear infections and fewer visits to hospital as a result
less chance of being constipated
less likelihood of becoming obese and therefore developing type 2 diabetes and other obesity-related illnesses later in life
less chance of developing eczema

Good reasons not to bottle feed if the mother can breastfeed.

That's not to say that "negative reactions" should be displayed to the mothers. The only other person it concerns is the child.

Tegan Thu 28-May-15 18:42:25

Wasn't bottle feeding encouraged during the war so that mothers could go and work in the munitions factories?

Ana Thu 28-May-15 18:45:48

And having to work is one of the most common reasons given for choosing to bottle-feed these days. Not many workplaces have creches and allow time off for breast feeding!

TriciaF Thu 28-May-15 18:51:40

The argument that convinced me to breastfeed was that the mother passes on immunity to some illnesses through her milk. For the first few years anyway.

rosesarered Thu 28-May-15 18:52:51

Totally up to the Mother.

J52 Thu 28-May-15 18:54:23

How you feed your baby is entirely up to the mother. As with many health/ diet opinions their has been many opinions over the years.

My mother could not BF me, as she was extremely ill. I was bottle fed from the word go, with the old fashioned milk powder. I have lived 63 years with no major illness and I take no medication. I am the ideal weight for my height. I have degree an post degree qualifications. So I don't think my health or intelligence was affected. x

J52 Thu 28-May-15 18:55:36

There*

Agus Thu 28-May-15 18:55:52

Quite frankly, I think the NHS promotes whatever suits them and I don't have much faith in their conclusions.

You post is a perfect example Tegan

Riverwalk Thu 28-May-15 18:56:13

I'd be interested to know if there have been any serious academic studies on say, 21 year-olds, to see if there is any difference in their health and general well-being depending on whether they've been breast or bottle-fed.

Also, if there's any difference as to whether a person's mother went out to work or stayed at home.

I'd guess there'd be no difference!

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Thu 28-May-15 18:59:38

'less chance of diarrhoea and vomiting' I would have thought that was caused by bad hygeine and insufficient sterilising, more than Breast versus Bottle......NHS ?

harrigran Thu 28-May-15 19:06:08

I chose not to breastfeed DC. They were perfectly healthy, very rarely had D&V, never had chest infections and DD is 46 and size 6 so definitely not obese. I have been told that DC would probably be of lower intelligence as a result of my choices, hogwash, DD has an IQ in the top 1%
I accept that there is a percentage of the population who are better off being encouraged to BF but it should be up to the individual.

loopylou Thu 28-May-15 19:19:03

In the 1970's when I was a midwife breastfeeding was the no brainer. I hate to think how many new mums were made to feel utterly inadequate and poor mothers because of the ridiculous pressure put on them.

Baby milk manufacturing is so well researched nowadays that there is minimal difference.

DDIL breastfed DGS but has said she'd think twice before doing it beyond a few weeks. Out of the ten mums in her private antenatal class (because she couldn't get to the NHS one), only she continued beyond 6 weeks-and all of them were intelligent and professional women.

Neither my sister or I were breast fed and we haven't done badly!