Gransnet forums

AIBU

Low Boredom Threshold- too much energy

(52 Posts)
trueblue22 Sat 27-Jun-15 20:36:03

I'm 63 and been married to a lovely DH (67) for 33 years.

DH retired about 7 years ago and is happy to potter in the garden, watch sport, walk the dog and has a high boredom threshold.

I'm born industrious. I can't sit still for long and need to have a project on the go. Since retiring, I've been a volunteer editor for a local magazine, a health walk leader, an EBay lister for a charity and recently stood down as Association chairman of a political party, as well as standing as a local authority councillor candidate- although not in a winnable ward. I'm still a primary school governor, but that's the only commitment.

Now I'm at a loose end. It's nice to have a bit of time for DH- who has felt neglected -my baby grandson and bridge, but I feel I'm not ready for the interminable cruises, holidays, lunchtime gossiping with girlfriends, coach trips, U3A (usually for the over 70s) and the like. I'm young at heart and have bags of energy.

I'm filling in time going to boot sales & charity shops buying items and selling on EBay, but need to find something to do after the summer.

Any of you out there with a similar low boredom threshold? Any ideas?

merlotgran Sat 27-Jun-15 20:47:52

You've worn me out just reading about all your activities, trueblue

Can't offer any ideas I'm afraid because although I have plenty going on in my life I'm so laid back that next to you I'd be falling over. smile

Ana Sat 27-Jun-15 20:56:45

'Interminable cruises and holidays...'? I should be so lucky! grin

ninathenana Sat 27-Jun-15 20:57:51

PHEW ! grin

trueblue22 Sat 27-Jun-15 21:00:39

I'm not going on them...no inclination or money for that grin

Grannyknot Sat 27-Jun-15 21:00:50

Me <raises hand> I don't have any ideas though because I'm not at the same stage of leisure as you yet.

Charleygirl Sat 27-Jun-15 21:49:10

Reading the post exhausted me.

Jomarie Sat 27-Jun-15 21:51:38

Write a book! Good title could be "How to keep busy" grin

soontobe Sat 27-Jun-15 21:53:04

What dreams do you have?

And start with the ones that require the most energy.

Jane10 Sat 27-Jun-15 21:54:52

Try meditating on why you feel compelled to engage in constant activity? Pausing and reflecting on life, thinking deeper might help you to find new ways of being. Om....

rosesarered Sat 27-Jun-15 22:00:54

I have a friend who constantly has to fill her life with one activity after another, with hardly a free day, and I often wonder why?Are some people scared of a blank diary, or are they bored with their husband's company, or
Unsure how to fill their life after retirement?

hildajenniJ Sat 27-Jun-15 22:28:51

Oh, how I wish I was properly retired. I would love to have plenty of time to do nothing. I am happy to potter around, doing nothing in particular. I would like to be able to take up bowls again, I have my own set, but after work I am too tired to do anything other than make the meals and do the housework. sad

vampirequeen Sat 27-Jun-15 22:41:31

Gosh what a busy life. I feel positively lazy. I rarely feel bored so I can't help, I'm afraid. I love days out. DH and I belong to the Historic Houses Association and English Heritage. We can also go to RSPB sites because we belong to the Caravan Club. Then there is the internet, reading, sitting in a cafe or on a bench people watching and housework/garden. We also volunteer at a local community centre which takes far more of our time then we thought it would.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 27-Jun-15 22:41:42

I seem to have developed a remarkable talent for quietly doing nothing much at all, in the last few weeks. It's surprising how many things don't actually need to be done.

At 63 trueblue you could be expected to have a reasonable amount of energy. So just keep on doing the things you have done up until now. Why stop if you don't want to?

Each to his/her own.

Tegan Sat 27-Jun-15 22:46:38

I use up a lot of time and energy [physical and mental] thinking of all the things I SHOULD be doing. Which leaves me with no time or energy [mental or physical] with which to do them.

Gracesgran Sat 27-Jun-15 23:04:15

I am not surprised you feel "positively lazy" vampirequeen as being told by someone they are "... born industrious" and then reading many of the interests that forum members have found interesting and talked about in the past written off in one fell swoop certainly brought on a large yawn from me.

I do think some younger pensioners do miss the regular rhythm and feeling of being needed that work provided but each will have a different way of adapting. You have written off so many avenues trueblue that I do not know what to suggest. As you are only 63 and presumably retired at 60 you seem to have run through quite a few things so far although you may have retired when your husband did of course, if so, lucky you as so many will have to go on to 67 in the future. Counting your blessings, particularly the good health that enables you to do all these things might fill some of your time.

harrigran Sat 27-Jun-15 23:35:31

Sorry, never been bored.

janeainsworth Sat 27-Jun-15 23:46:35

Why don't you just go back to work Trueblue?

kittylester Sun 28-Jun-15 07:55:46

Am I the only one to feel mildly offended that trueblue has written us all off in one fell swoop? confused

At 66 I would love the chance to be bored although I don't have a long list of activities like true blue. My list does include gossipy lunches, holidays, but also volunteering, grand children, cooking, shopping, DGC, family comittments, a little work, gardening - oh and DH!!

soontobe Sun 28-Jun-15 08:07:55

There are many oppurtunities to volunteer. And many many organisations crying out for them.

aggie Sun 28-Jun-15 08:10:03

Why not see if any of your less energetic friends / acquaintances , can do with a bit of help , go visit some of them and wash the floors/ clean the cupboards /walk the dog / feed the baby .................

Gracesgran Sun 28-Jun-15 08:19:11

If it seems you are alone kittylester than I was being too subtle in my post.smile.

However, in an effort to help trueblue I would agree with janeasworth about going back to work or, of course set up a business, perhaps running it from home so DH feels involved could prove challenging. The problem with a "low boredom threshold" is it can mean you don't stick at anything. As I said, you do seem to have run through quite a few things in a "done that, now what do I do for a change" way.

Perhaps you should be looking for a challenge that you are not so sure you can achieve. How about a degree or, if you already have one, a degree in a completely different area or a higher level degree. I think that perhaps being measured by others (business/academic challenge) rather than your own level of willingness to be involved in the more mundane bits of any undertaking might mean you get through something very challenging and through the boring bits too.

kittylester Sun 28-Jun-15 08:24:20

Sorry gracesgran, guilty of skim reading - I've got a lot on today!

trueblue22 Sun 28-Jun-15 09:04:28

Not easy to find work at my age Jain. It might be easier to start a small business. Maybe dealing in vintage stuff from boot sales & charity shops etc might be an avenue to pursue.

Was thinking of offering myself for dog walking, but you have to be reliable & available, which is a tie.

Elegran Sun 28-Jun-15 09:14:03

There's the rub. Most occupations that are not just for your own entertainment, or for filling in the time until old age and decrepitude make you incapable, involve interacting with other people, and they do like it if you are reliable.

If you don't want a tie, I think you will have to find something that is self-powered. It is up to you what that is, and how long you persist in it. The excitement will have to be generated by your own interest so you will not then have any input from outside.

It sounds as though you will become bored with that too. Commitments to others may be a tie, but they apply the discipline to keep going through the flat times.