Gransnet forums

AIBU

Magazines

(57 Posts)
kittylester Wed 01-Jul-15 11:54:09

I have Good Food delivered with the papers and then get a shock when I go to pay the bill! I pick up others in the supermarket as and when. I quite often buy the Sainsbury's one for the recipes and I like the Waitrose one if I am lucky enough to be in a Waitrose! sad

At one stage I got so harassed by the big pile on my side table that I stopped buying them for a while but it's a hard habit to break! I don't very often read them but tear out recipes and, consequently, have an enormous pile in the kitchen waiting to be tried or filed (probably in the bin!)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Jul-15 11:53:12

I made the mistake of taking out a subscription to Woman and Home. It's definitely for the younger woman (like Cari). I gave DD Good Housekeeping for Xmas and usually manage to hide from the grandsons in it when we visit. I think that is the best mag. Good Food has got too up its adventurous in its cooking.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 01-Jul-15 11:45:40

I get Good Food (was a gift that has now been repeated for a number of years and I really like getting it through the post every month)

Other than that the ones i tend to buy are Good Housekeeping, Woman and Home and Olive

J52 Wed 01-Jul-15 11:29:02

I have abandoned my subscriptions. I kept a pile of Good Housekeeping, Coast and Gardeners World. After a while both magazines became so repetitive.
I could read the previous years and see no difference in the topics.
Coast's photos are repeated in Country life's ' summer special'.

I now just buy what looks interesting from a variety of titles, or just don't bother.

x

Anne58 Wed 01-Jul-15 11:14:50

Sorry to interrupt (by the way, I think magazine subscriptions make a very good Christmas/birthday present for people who can be hard to buy for) but I can't help but notice that there have been quite a few threads started in the "AIBU" section that don't fall into the category. confused

Perhaps it's because it's the first one on the list of subjects?

(Yes, I know that I probably should have put this comment in Pedants Corner blush )

crun Wed 01-Jul-15 11:04:23

I had a subscription to New Scientist because I got frustrated with not having my own copy each time I read an interesting article in the library. Once I was paying for it I got into the mindset that I was going to read it all cover to cover in order to get my money's worth, and that spoilt it by making reading it a chore. Pity really, I've never even got back into the habit of reading it in the library since I cancelled the subscription, either.

I'm a member of Which, which reminds me, I ought to cancel it really.

sprite66 Wed 01-Jul-15 10:06:11

Just wondering if subscriptions are still popular? And if so which magazines?
I usually renew my Good Housekeeping one, some years add in Country Living- does anyone remember the competition debacle many years ago now and the offshoot forums set up as a result? RHS comes with membership as does OH's National Trust magazine. .