Gransnet forums

AIBU

Can I join in, even if though I'm not a 'Gran'?

(111 Posts)
snowberryZ Wed 19-Aug-15 14:18:42

I've come over from the 'other place'.
Like others, I tried to log in to MN this morning and it won't let me (I don't think I've said anything I shouldn't have, or had any arguments that I know of shock )
I think it's because they are making everybody get new passwords (what with their 'problems' and all)
I can't get a password reset as I don't remember the email address I registered with, which is a fat lot of good. confused Anyway, I don't really feel 'safe' on there at the moment, so won't be trying too hard to get back on there for a while.

I remembered that I'd joined Gransnet a while ago, but hadn't used it much at the time, because I felt like a bit of a fake - what with not even having any grandchildren of my own- even though I'm the right age hmm.
Are there many that post on here, who also aren't 'grans'?
I hope it's alright to be on here. It seems like a nice place. Not as intense as MN, but still with interesting subjects to discuss.
On the other hand, NetMums seems too twee for me.
Thanks.

soontobe Wed 19-Aug-15 14:24:55

I am not a gran either. There are a number of us who are not.
No problem at all that I can see. Only about 1 in 7 of the threads are directly to do with grandchildren.

Welcome!

MiniMouse Wed 19-Aug-15 14:27:07

Hello SnowberryZ Welcome to GN! You don't have to be a Gran to enter these hallowed threads - we're not fussy grin

Enjoy having a browse or a lurk and post at will wink

snowberryZ Wed 19-Aug-15 14:30:28

Thanks soontobe.
The only difference I can see is there is not quite as much traffic and the traffic is slightly slower (that could change, the more people who join) but there are still lots of interesting things to discuss.

I think I could like it here smile Glad I'm not the only non-gran

ninathenana Wed 19-Aug-15 14:30:44

We welcome one and all snowberryZ even men !! grin
I look forward to seeing your posts.

snowberryZ Wed 19-Aug-15 14:31:56

And MiniMouse.

soontobe Wed 19-Aug-15 14:48:33

It is definitely slower. Midweek is probably slower than weekends. And early afternoon is slow too.
And people tend to get ready for bed after 9.30pm but post again an hour later!

Ana Wed 19-Aug-15 14:55:40

Er - do you mind, soontobe?!!!

And people tend to get ready for bed after 9.30pm but post again an hour later!

Speak for yourself. I certainly don't get ready for bed at 9.30 and come back downstairs in my dressing gown and curlers to post again an hour later...grin

Ana Wed 19-Aug-15 14:56:43

You're just making assumptions again...

Welcome, snowberryZ smile

PRINTMISS Wed 19-Aug-15 15:04:16

My grand-children are grown up, so I do not have some of the problems discussed here, but it is a good place just to browse, and often interesting discussions, so I think it should be open to anyone who would like to join. If you find it doesn't interest, which would surprise me, then there is no compulsion is there.

Anya Wed 19-Aug-15 15:32:48

Hi snowberryZ you are welcome grandkids or not. I don't get ready for bed at 9.30 either. Just popped across to this thread as I'm being told off (as usual) for being honest on another thread grin

rosesarered Wed 19-Aug-15 15:40:16

Welcome Snowberry,nice to have new people on here, as quite a few of the older members don't post anymore.
I don't think there are many threads about Grandchildren on here anyway.smile

Rosannabanna Wed 19-Aug-15 15:46:37

I don't have grandchildren (yet?) and my youngest has only just graduated. I enjoy the site but also feel a bit of a fraud because of not having grandchildren and because I don't spend much time on the internet so I look occasionally. I find the email update useful because it alerts me to threads I might like to follow. This seems like a very lively site with lots of interesting discussion relevant to a slightly older slice of the population. Thank you those who post a lot, it's really you who keep it going.

Indinana Wed 19-Aug-15 15:49:14

Hello snowberryZ, you're very welcome here. No, not everyone here is a gran - and those of us who are do not all take our weary old bones off to bed in the middle of the evening in our flannelette nighties, with our teeth in a glass on the bedside cabinet shockgrin.
I hope you enjoy GN - I'm sure you'll find it just as addictive as 'the other side' smile

Charleygirl Wed 19-Aug-15 16:29:19

Hi snowberryz, welcome, I am not a gran,. more of a night bird- another who does not get ready for bed mid evening. I have all of my teeth so none to remove.

Kupari45 Wed 19-Aug-15 16:33:30

Hello SnowberryZ,
Nice to meet you. Everyone is very friendly here, and most of us dont take ourselves too seriously.! I have slowly worked my way through the various forums- lots of interesting stuff, lots of different opinions.
I am a Gran, just had my big 70 party.
Hope you will enjoy dipping into Gransnet as much as I do.

soontobe Wed 19-Aug-15 16:40:24

If a whole load of you dont get ready for bed past 9.30pm, what do you do between 9.30pm and 10.30pm? grin shock
Because generally there are only about 4 of us left posting in that hour?
[only kidding. You dont have to answer].

soontobe Wed 19-Aug-15 16:42:18

My assumptions are generally correct Ana, but even my sister accuses me of assumptions. Though I am generally right!

Nonnie Wed 19-Aug-15 16:50:10

soon there are an awful lot of things one can do apart from Gransnet at any time of day! I don't think I have ever been on in the evening but it doesn't mean I am in bed! I'm a bit worried that you think we all only have Gn in our lives. shock

rosesarered Wed 19-Aug-15 16:52:08

I am usually either watching tv or reading or yakking on the phone.

Ana Wed 19-Aug-15 16:55:07

You seem to spend an awful lot of time on GN, soontobe!

I would imagine that between 9 and 10.30 most people are watching tv, especially the news. Then they might have a look on GN to see what's been posted throughout the day and what threads they feel like commenting on.

(Who takes a whole hour to 'get ready for bed' anyway...?)

baubles Wed 19-Aug-15 16:58:00

Getting on with real life usually, to answer your question soontobe.

Welcome snowberryz, Mumsnet has many members who aren't mums (or dads for that matter). Hope you enjoy gransnet smile

sunseeker Wed 19-Aug-15 16:58:10

I don't even have children - yet I have been made welcome here. Welcome snowberryZ

Charleygirl Wed 19-Aug-15 16:58:27

I may read posts during that time - I may not necessarily reply to any of them.

As there is so little to watch on TV these evenings (for me) I usually end up watching something that I have recorded.

It has not been unknown for me to decide to clear out a kitchen cupboard or whatever at 11pm.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 19-Aug-15 17:50:04

Get ready for bed after 9.30?! No! Surely not. If I want a decent night's sleep, I find bedtime around 11.30 is best. Otherwise I'm awake again at 3 am.