Gransnet forums

AIBU

Getting dressed.

(38 Posts)
Atqui Sun 30-Aug-15 12:34:06

Ok, it's Grumpy old woman again! I'm not seeking advice, as I know what I could do and say. I just want to know if anyone else feels this way. We are both retired, so I usually have breakfast in my PJs . H has shower and gets dressed before brekky. I go up to have a shower and get dressed , after breakfast and for some reason like to do this on my own now. When I was working it was a mad dash so didn't matter. Am I alone in being a bit miffed when almost as soon as I turn on the shower up comes H to fiddle around with e.g. Putting clothes away , or to have a shave.?

Jomarie Thu 22-Oct-15 21:26:12

Atqui I read your post and thought - thank goodness, someone else suffers the same as me! I could list many more annoying things OH does but will refrain as I don't want to bore anyone. I grit my teeth (those I have left) and remind myself that one of us will soon be going out grin

Coolgran65 Thu 22-Oct-15 20:50:21

*harrigran" I thought at first....you meant that your DH was cleaning and drying you....lol

Luckygirl Thu 22-Oct-15 18:37:13

Don't talk to me about drying the shower - it is a real obsession with my OH. I have no sooner got out than he swoops, as if I have performed some crime by making the shower wet! He also comes in when I am showering, which I am entirely happy with, except if he goes to the sink and runs the water, when I then finish up with an ice cold shower.

harrigran Thu 22-Oct-15 18:11:35

I always get to shower first and on my own, DH insists on following and cleaning and drying so I do not have to bend over. I never lock the door because I once slipped and fell in the shower, DH heard the bang from the kitchen below and ran upstairs.

LuckyDucky Thu 22-Oct-15 00:26:57

When the other half, who isn't bathing, may sometimes sits on the loo seat and chat. We have a second shower curtain, so we've privacy and company. We chat occasionally when we're chilled and chatty.grin

Other times I listen to music or I sing - on my own. I lurve singing. When I turn the music on, DH gets my message. Well he would do, we've been married 48 years.

Next!

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 02-Sep-15 18:12:18

We always ask if the other wants to go in the bathroom before one of us goes in for a bath or a shower. It is an unspoken signal that they've had their chance to get in - even though neither of us lock the door!

LesleyC Wed 02-Sep-15 15:39:12

Oh no, I couldn't be doing with him in the bathroom at the same time as me. I sometimes lock the door, but really know he would never come in anyway.

Nelliemoser Wed 02-Sep-15 08:30:56

Atqui It would get me annoyed as well. I like the privacy.
Time I got off GN and got showered and dressed.

kittylester Wed 02-Sep-15 08:09:59

And for you Bella! flowers

Bellasnana Wed 02-Sep-15 08:02:03

Sewsilver, Marmight, Nannagil flowers flowers flowers

Sewsilver Wed 02-Sep-15 07:17:32

Atqui, I can see that it must be annoying having your privacy invaded. But I agree with Marmight and Nannagil, I would do anything to have DH back again and now find mornings particularly difficult.

kittylester Wed 02-Sep-15 06:52:21

It's not anything to do with the washing and dressing but the peace and time to think about the day in prospect. 'My' shower is actually in our bedroom so I usually use it when DH is in the study getting his day sorted in his head!

Marelli Tue 01-Sep-15 23:08:10

It must be something they're primed to do - I can be lying soaking in the bath, hear the phone ringing and within seconds he's there. One heavy thud on the door...'It's so-and-so on the phone for you'. I do like my own time and space for bathing and dressing, too.

Atqui Tue 01-Sep-15 21:47:31

Sorry for your loss*Nanna Gill*. I just don't have that kind of relationship with my husband anymore.

Atqui Tue 01-Sep-15 21:37:05

Oh yes ginny that too !

ginny Tue 01-Sep-15 20:43:51

No, not unreasonable at all. I like to have the bathroom to myself too.

At the other end of the day . Why is it that if DH is seemingly engrossed in something on the tv, the minute I think I'll go up and read for a while, he immediately decides it's time for him to go to bed too ?

nanaGill Tue 01-Sep-15 16:39:52

My DH and I used to bath together each morning - best time of the day. Would love to be able to do that again sad

nanaGill Tue 01-Sep-15 16:38:36

My DH and I used to bath together each morning - best time of the day. Would love to be able to do that again :-(

Atqui Sun 30-Aug-15 19:59:00

Thanks Blackeyedsusan

BlackeyedSusan Sun 30-Aug-15 18:21:25

sympathies.

I try to hide in the front room to the computer to escape the stress of two children with additional needs and mother with extreme anxiety and at that point mum finds about twenty reasons why she needs to wander in and out.

Oh and not odd.You must have a magnetic personality. grin

MamaCaz Sun 30-Aug-15 17:53:16

My OH is another of those that just doesn't seem to get that I have no desire to take a phone call while in the middle of a shower etc., and if I don't respond straight away he will hammer on the bathroom door as if there's a fire and we need to evacuate the building. Grrr.

I almost always lock the bathroom to prevent unwanted intrusions grin

Atqui Sun 30-Aug-15 17:49:16

BTW it has nothing to do with being undressed, in case anyone is wondering if I am some throwback to Victoriana.

Atqui Sun 30-Aug-15 17:46:38

jane10that would seem reasonable, but for reasons I d rather not go into,I can't do that. I just wanted to know if I am being odd feeling this way!

merlotgran Sun 30-Aug-15 17:41:53

DH doesn't come into the bathroom when I'm in the shower but if things go a bit quiet he's shouts, 'You alright in there?'

I never lock the door (just in case) so it wouldn't bother me if he wandered in but seeing as I'm chasing around after him all day I think he realises I like a bit of quiet and privacy.

Jane10 Sun 30-Aug-15 17:11:18

I don't understand why you haven't just told him straight that you want to be able to shower and dress in peace and quiet. Its not unreasonable!