Gransnet forums

AIBU

Shopping trollies/bags 2 wheeled variety, do you have one? would you have one?

(60 Posts)
bikergran Fri 06-Nov-15 13:41:59

Having always had a car to transport my supplies whenever and where I want, I am not having to re think my strategy.

I have to walk to collect shopping approx 30 mins walk to bigger supermarket, I normally pick little bits n pieces up every other day and carry them home, but as the cold weather as approaching, then I probably won't be off out unless need be.It has recently been my 60th birthday smile and a lovely time I had, my mum kept sort of jokingly buying me a "shopping trolley" !! a she has one smile (got it in the charity shop for £2) smile
nice bright pink polka dot one! but!! having made note of the people in town this morning with shopping trolleys, of all diff ages, they were all over the place,! I must have counted at least 15!

So would you! use/buy/have shopping trolley.Do you think they age you?
Must admit I always associated older ladies with them, you know the little basket type ones with a sort of walking stick handle smile but if needs must then! hmm

thatbags Fri 06-Nov-15 13:55:18

I have two that I used to use in Oxfordshire and Milngavie. It's too hilly here and the shops too far away or I still would. I use them for carrying logs into the house for the wood burner.

Long ago, in my early twenties, I used one in Dundee to carry washing to and from the laundry.

felice Fri 06-Nov-15 14:01:31

Everyone uses them here, DD and I share one.
They are great for carrying 'wonky' veg and fruit bought at the markets.

rosesarered Fri 06-Nov-15 14:04:15

I would use one if I needed to, simple as that.

aggie Fri 06-Nov-15 14:07:04

I have several . Got a bright red one , used it once , felt too conspicuous , got a black one felt too old , got a nice patterned one and decided it was all too aging ! One now hold my Knitting , one my spare painting stuff and the other hides behind the chair to gather "rubbish" to save it from being thrown out by my DD.............. I just wish I could bring myself to use one of them !

jollyg Fri 06-Nov-15 14:07:25

Bags did you not use one for carrying coal, store it in the bath!.

I used sons pram to carry logs for the fire gleaned from fallen wood when he had grown out of it, gift from Grannie from her 'Nearly new' charity shop in Causewayside.

Im tempted to buy one for myself as I cant easily get the rucsac on my shoulders.

Gone are the days when I would carry 2 bags of shopping and 5kg charcoal on my shoulder as it was a bargain, summer and barbies

Elegran Fri 06-Nov-15 14:24:27

I have one and I use it whenever I go out to buy more than a few things. I am about 10-15 minutes from the shop, but it is uphill home and my shoulders complain. Two wheels take half the weight of the load and I can stop, rest it upright and not be carrying any weight at all, which is a vast improvement on having several bags cutting off my circulation even when standing still. Four wheels would take all of the weight and just need to be pushed along, but not go up and down the kerbs as easily.

It has been used to carry stuff to the charity shop, to take books to a book sale - just try carrying several bags of those - and for going to Lidl for their excellent but heavy vegetables. These three involved lifting it on and off buses and walking for ten minutes at either end of the journey.

Why associate a trolley bag with old ladies pushing baskets with walking sticks attached? There are all kinds of designs in the shops now. Mine is black but I could have had a purple version, or one with a leopard-skin design. Who cares about the old lady image anyway? Heck, I am an old lady and I should not be expected to lug heavy bags about.

LullyDully Fri 06-Nov-15 14:33:02

Not ready yet but will get a tartan one in time. They are very practical just not ready yet!!

ninathenana Fri 06-Nov-15 14:41:56

Yes I would and I wish I'd had one when first married. We lived 15-20 mins from the supermarket and I had to shop every day as I couldn't carry it otherwise.
I've seen 20-30 yr olds with them. In fact I regularly see a younger person with a smart Cath Kitson style one.
If you go for a funky style. It won't age you.

ninathenana Fri 06-Nov-15 14:43:05

Or have you thought about home delivery?

Teetime Fri 06-Nov-15 14:49:50

I have a black and white giraffe print one that I bought on line from TrolleyWorld.com - they have all sorts of lovely patterns and she (Mrs Trolley to give her full name) lives under the stairs and comes to the market with me.

POGS Fri 06-Nov-15 14:52:36

I wouldn't be without my 4 wheel trolley. The 2 wheel shoppers are not as easy to use if you have back pain issues!

Best thing I ever purchased. I don't care about what I look like to be honest. I can load up my shopper and push it along with my little finger it is brilliant.

merlotgran Fri 06-Nov-15 14:53:24

I have a purple one. Great for lugging library books back to the car park.

Stansgran Fri 06-Nov-15 15:07:39

I had one when young with no car and having to do a family shop with a bad back. It was a gorgeous wicker one. I'd have it again. They have some really jolly ones with slogans in a lovely shop in Switzerland but they won't fit in my luggage to bring home.

loopylou Fri 06-Nov-15 15:12:17

Yes! I have a multicoloured polka dots one. It's great, I wouldn't be without it.

Stansgran Fri 06-Nov-15 15:15:37

shopping trolleys

Stansgran Fri 06-Nov-15 15:17:06

I rather fancied one for each day of the week

bikergran Fri 06-Nov-15 15:21:37

Ok I am convinced! smile will keep eye out for trolley in charity shops...smile may purchase one out of my birthday monies smile

Yes have thought about online shopping, but if I am right they charge for delivery, my dd would take me shopping but she is busy enough and I like to go when I want rather than at busy times like Friday evening or Saturdays. Going to have a scout on line see whats available.

yggdrasil Fri 06-Nov-15 15:30:31

I use one, have done since I moved here where I can walk across the town in about 20 mins. It is for shopping, charity stuff, ebay parcels to the Post Office and any other time I need to transport a medium load. It certainly isn't aging, here you have to be on a mobility scooter to count as that. And we do have a lot of those smile

Maranta Fri 06-Nov-15 16:36:55

I have one which is more like a shopping bag than a trolley in that it has two loop handles and a pull up one for when you want to wheel it. You could even have it on your lap, on a bus for instance. I am very pleased with it and found it on Am***n. I think they can be useful too as hand baggage on an aircraft.

numberplease Fri 06-Nov-15 16:42:26

I`ve been struggling for a while now whenever I go into town. Having a walking stick means I can only really carry one bag, or maybe plus a carrier bag, using just my other hand, because a bag in my stick hand jolted the stick away from me. So I went on Amazon and ordered myself a nice red shopping trolley, although the label said pink, and it`s so much easier shopping now. I had to try pushing it and pullng it, to see which suited me best. I find pulling it easier than pushing, but I do worry about catching someone with it.

stillhere Fri 06-Nov-15 16:47:00

I have a shocking pink one, because we can't park all that close to our market, also because I was having problems with my shoulder from carrying heavy loads in big shoulder bags. I find it invaluable for blocking people trying to get past me to jump the queue. grin DBH hates it because it is so bright and girlie, and REALLY hates it if he has to cart it down stairs in shops for me, so I bought a matching plastic raincoat just to annoy him. grin

When it's full, I can just lift it and get it into my car boot sideways.

In Paris, everyone has them, even the men, to get their shopping from the supermarkets back to their apartments. So practical, and far easier to deal with coats and bags etc. as you can just pop them in, too.

Charleygirl Fri 06-Nov-15 16:49:28

bikergran I use on line shopping a lot and I only pay £1 for delivery. I deliberately do not choose eg Friday, Saturday or Sundays when the delivery prices can be extortionate. I choose maybe a Tuesday 1-2pm for £1. That way I can buy in bulk and save money. I do drive but it saves petrol and me carrying heavy or bulky items from car to house.

bikergran Fri 06-Nov-15 16:50:36

what happens when your shopping in sort of Tesco Asda n such like do you have to leave your trolley at the customer service or are we allowed to wheel them round with us...I wouldn't fancy leaving it anywhere really in case it "dissapeared"! hmm

harrigran Fri 06-Nov-15 16:54:59

I used to have one when DH worked away, I had to walk to shops, since he retired we just do a big weekly shop. My BIL has a large black one which he uses to carry his shopping because sister and BIL do not drive.