Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why am I the cat's mother?

(57 Posts)
Alima Tue 15-Dec-15 20:30:47

We do regard our pets as extended family I suppose. Not in a twee kind of way, any mention of mummy or daddy is said purely as mickey taking.Our cats do sort of get presents at Christmas in the guise of turkey, gammon etc. Our Springer Gemma got a bit carried away one Christmas and unwrapped a pair of earrings, not meant for her I hasten to add. (The would have been lost in amongst the curls on her ears).

hildajenniJ Tue 15-Dec-15 19:34:33

Quite! I have owned three dogs since being married and have never regarded myself as their mother! Leader of the pack yes!!

Katek Tue 15-Dec-15 19:33:13

That's the other thing that gets to me.,...calling them furkids or furbabies!

mcem Tue 15-Dec-15 19:29:09

Have made it very clear to dog/cat owning Ds and 2 Dds that there will be no presents for pets, nor will there be cards signed Gran!
They're the pets of my offspring, not additional furry Dgcs.

Katek Tue 15-Dec-15 19:24:58

Or lick the babies!!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 15-Dec-15 19:20:21

Hear hear! I can't stand seeing people letting their dogs lick - sorry, "kiss" - them. Just think of the other things that dogs lick. Yuck! Dogs don't do kisses anyway.

Katek Tue 15-Dec-15 19:16:55

I'm a lifelong cat owner, have had dogs in the past, rabbits, ponies and any number of small rodents when the children were young, but I am not -nor ever was - their mum! I find it so annoying when people talk about being their pet's mum or dad or even post FB posts of dogs with their 'baby brothers' (human infants). Do they refer to their pets as their son/daughter as well? I have loved all my animals and my heart is broken when one dies, but I am their owner - not a relation! Too much blurring of the lines.