Gransnet forums

AIBU

Susan Sarandon and Syrian Refugees

(82 Posts)
rosequartz Fri 18-Dec-15 19:46:25

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/susan-sarandon-greece-refugees_56740c50e4b014efe0d50c45

hmm not sure how I feel about this which was posted by a lady who runs a small charity helping the refugees. On the one hand is it good publicity about the plight of the refugees and how much help they need?
On the other hand is it a Hollywood actress going out there and 'virtue signalling' (as they say)?

If she goes home and tells her compratiots that they need to take more refugees into their rich country that could be a good thing.
However, Greece (and Turkey) is really struggling to help the refugees.

I think that it's all the unsung heroes and heroines who are helping who deserve our applause, not a Hollywood film star who flies in and out with a film crew.

Or AIBU?

grannylyn65 Fri 18-Dec-15 20:12:03

No, you're spot on!

Anniebach Fri 18-Dec-15 20:16:52

A. Hollywood film star can do more than an unknown hero or heroin. Do we not have the Windsors not doing the same as Sarandon?

rosequartz Fri 18-Dec-15 20:24:44

But what is she doing in practical terms?? Hugging and changing socks.
Perhaps she will go back to America and lobby them to take in more refugees.

Do we not have the Windsors not doing the same as Sarandon? At least they set up things like The Prince's Trust and the Duke of Edinburgh Award and Prince Harry's charity etc etc.

merlotgran Fri 18-Dec-15 20:31:05

I'm struggling to see the connection between Susan Sarandon and the Royal family - other than the regal wave which at least the Windsors use on appropriate occasions.

Anniebach Fri 18-Dec-15 20:35:37

Yes they do and they also give use of their names to countless charities. I doubt Sarandon is doing all that in the hope of finding fame, she is politically active in America and if making documentaries to be aired in America resulting in more refugees being given a safe haven or more money goes into those camps then she is doing good , a hug is good but practical hrlp is needed too

Anniebach Fri 18-Dec-15 20:46:31

Perhaps best to look up her credentials in humanitarian work before dismissing her as just giving a hug and putting on socks.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Dec-15 21:21:50

So sweet they sought out a little cutie for the pics.

I have a lot of respect for the volunteers on jet skis.

rosequartz Sat 19-Dec-15 00:00:38

I should make it clear that the link I posted in the OP was from someone who posted it just as that, a link to a news item and not in any way criticising SS's actions.
The misgivings are mine and mine alone and are not criticism, just wondering if she will translate this into anything meaningful for the refugees when she returns to America. Sometimes one wonders how much Hollywood actors (and British ones for that matter) really care and whether the publicity is good for them too? There are always lots of 'aah' shots involved.
Cynical? Perhaps.

I thought that SS had given up being politically active, but perhaps I have that wrong.
She also said “I’ll ask questions. But I don’t ever tell anyone what they should think.
So that's OK then.

durhamjen Sat 19-Dec-15 01:17:12

Not just Susan Sarandon, though, is it?
Didn't Tim Farron do the same?

"David Darg
RYOT NOTE

Globally, one in every 122 humans is now either a refugee, internally displaced, or seeking asylum. If this were the population of a country, it would be the world’s 24th biggest. This year of 2015 has seen the largest crisis the world has ever seen in terms of displacement. Click below to find out more about an organization that helps battle against the challenges of this crisis."

This is one of the links on the Huffington Post website. David Darg is the man who is doing the filming, and good for him. Lots of people know who Susan Sarandon is and will be more likely to take notice.

Anniebach Sat 19-Dec-15 08:10:03

I doubt Sarandon needs publicity . Why should people such as she not care?
And when it comes to ahhh shots our own windsors are top of this game, Harry hugging an African orphan, William and Kate packing food boxes .
William making tv appeal to save wildlife same weekend he and Harry were in Spain shooting wildlife. So if any celebs are to be doubted for really caring then we musn't forget the windsors are celebs too.

Sarandon is a UNICEF Ambassador and has received the humanitarian award from Action against Hunger

This film will be televised across America and other countries, it's not in the league of Cameron hugging a husky though

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 19-Dec-15 08:34:55

These people live off their own egos. Alright, they may have the means to do more publicity-wise than the rest of us, but I will never be convinced that a lot of it isn't down to the saintly quality they think they acquire.

Still, if it makes Aerica do a bit more for the refugees, that can't be bad.

I often wonder if they pay for their own tickets to the lacs, or is it funded by some charity.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 19-Dec-15 08:36:41

these places not "the lacs"

(how did happen? I'm not even on the ipad!)

Anniebach Sat 19-Dec-15 08:50:24

I don't give a thought to who pays for their travel, at least it's not the tax payer . Such a pity when a person tries to do some good they are doubted and branded publicity seekers.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 19-Dec-15 08:58:08

Yeah. Sad. Never mind. Eat a mince pie sausage roll. tchsmile

rosequartz Sat 19-Dec-15 09:57:56

Yes, such a pity really, and for the Windsors too.

Perhaps we'll see Benedict Cumberpatch in a wetsuit wading into the sea in Greece next (with a handy camera crew). He certainly wastes no opportunity to harangue audiences who have gone for an evening's entertainment.

I think the BBC and other media journalists are doing a good job of bringing it all to our attention and quite right too, and my thoughts and prayers go out to the refugees and all those people who quietly get on with the practical job of helping them under difficult circumstances.

petallus Sat 19-Dec-15 10:01:08

Oh come on * jingl* we all get a bit of a saintly glow when we do good works. It's inevitable

Anniebach Sat 19-Dec-15 10:04:33

I respect those who work out of the spotlight and those who work in the spotlight, if good is being done this is all that matters ,

rosequartz Sat 19-Dec-15 10:10:42

And I did ask if IWBU. I am open to different viewpoints.

I would not say the Windsors are celebs; their DM/DGM is our Head of State, not a Hollywood film star.

If SS can bring some pressure to bear on the American Government to take more refugees then all well and good. If she is trying to persuade us to dig deep into our pockets, I think many ordinary people who can least afford it are doing just that already. If she can persuade some of her filthy rich colleagues to 'dig deep' then good for her.

henetha Sat 19-Dec-15 10:12:49

I find it sad that there is so much cynicism. Can't people, well known or not, try to do some good without being sniped at?

Anniebach Sat 19-Dec-15 10:17:22

Sadly no they can't henetha

Anniebach Sat 19-Dec-15 10:19:15

Rosequartz, I wasn't thinking of the queen , she doesn't do celeb , thankfully

Luckygirl Sat 19-Dec-15 10:26:04

I had to look up who this lady is.

I have no problem with her doing this if it draws more attention to the plight of the refugees.

rosequartz Sat 19-Dec-15 10:38:08

Yes, of course they can do good, the more the better! Lots of ordinary people dedicate their whole lives to good causes. Some ordinary people have had to deal with the trauma of pulling dead bodies from the sea.
They are doing this day after day, often struggling through their own ill-health to help others.
Yes, of course these celebs can help and are perhaps not just seeking self-publicity.
It is just that not everyone has an an attendant film crew and beautiful rescued child to hand.
And often celebs fly in, causing a great deal of upheaval to day-to-day work of charities etc then fly out again, mission accomplished apparently.

Sorry to seem cynical and if some good comes of it, then good-oh.

I only asked AIBU?
Conclusion: IABU

petra Sat 19-Dec-15 10:38:10

Luckygirl. Are you saying you have never seen Thelma & Louise?