Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that February 14th is SAINT Valentine's Day?

(70 Posts)
kittylester Wed 27-Jan-16 11:58:32

Not just Valentine's Day! Even my beloved John Lewis had signs up saying 'Valentine's Day'. angry

NotSpaghetti Tue 16-Feb-16 17:41:36

I think I don't really mind Valentine's day instead of St. Valentine's day, though do understand Jalima and others ... BUT I DO hate the "on Valentines" and "on Easter" which I've noticed creeping in.

UkeCan61 Sun 14-Feb-16 19:36:11

It was always St Valentine's Day when I was growing up. Valentine was a priest who married couples in secret when marriage was banned by Claudius??(emperor) because he thought married men wouldn't make good soldiers. When he was found out Valentine was sentenced to death and before he was executed he wrote to his lover 'From your Valentine with love'.
Were priests in those days allowed girlfriends? I don't know. Anyway he was made a saint.
My husband And I have been together 19 years today. We got married in November 3 years ago - 2nd marriages for both of us. I'm 61 1/2 and he is nearly 65
We decided to get eachother a little something for less than a fiver. He got me my favourite bubble bath from M&S and a 2nd hand book of prose and poetry from local writers. I got him some Lily bulbs from Poundland and 2nd hand book by one of his favourite writers. We both bought the books from Oxfam! This morning we made a picnic and went up a big hill in the snow. It was freezing but lovely. Who says romance is dead!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 14-Feb-16 18:53:52

That [smle] was to Crafting.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 14-Feb-16 18:52:34

smile

Nanevon Sun 14-Feb-16 18:51:24

PamSJ1: happy anniversary to you and your OH. Hope you had a lovely day together.
flowerswine

Crafting Sun 14-Feb-16 18:42:40

jing I do too (both for DGS and DGD). DH always sends me a card and I send him one too. We have just shared a romantic Valentine's meal together and I see nothing wrong with that grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 14-Feb-16 17:53:41

Loosen your corsets.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 14-Feb-16 17:52:52

"The world needs a lot more love"

I so agree NannaandGrampy.

Perhaps some of you who can't see beyond the old-fashions view that Valentin's Day is for couples only, should try sharing the love round a bit in your families, in a fun way. Do you not buy "love you" chocolate lollipops for the grandchildren either? [confused. So sad.

PamSJ1 Sun 14-Feb-16 17:37:35

Been celebrating our 29th wedding anniversary today. I steered him towards this date not for any romantic reason but so he couldn't forget it. In past years he has been able to forget the two in one go. However this year even though he couldn't get out to get a card himself he asked our daughter to get an anniversary one. Just being being together after all he has been through health wise is very special to us both.

Nanevon Sun 14-Feb-16 17:29:55

Sorry Alea - this phone can't spell.

Nanevon Sun 14-Feb-16 17:28:55

Thank you very much hula hoop for your kind words. Just back from visiting DH and he is marginally better but they are keeping him in for another 2-3 days. He has breathing problems so massive doses of steroids and antibiotics. Thank you for birthday wishes and flowers.
Ales, only had to wait about ten minutes for ambulance - fortunately if they are back at their base, that's only about 3 miles from me. Hope you have both had a good day.

Alea Sun 14-Feb-16 14:19:39

Oh dear nanevon hoping all is well when you see DH and he is home soon. Calling an ambulance on a Saturday night can be quite scary (been there, done that in the past) I hope he didn't have to wait too long while all the victims of alcohol or substance abuse got taken care of. You do see life on a Saturday night!

hulahoop Sun 14-Feb-16 14:02:14

Hope hubby not in hospital long nanvon best wishes for your birthday ?

rosesarered Sun 14-Feb-16 13:06:49

Would never send cards/ presents on this day to children or anyone in the family other than DH.Actually, we don't buy cards, but DH brings me pink tulips and roses, and we have an extra nice lunch either out or at home.

Worlass Sun 14-Feb-16 12:59:21

Thanks micmc47. Brilliant, and so true. LOL. grin

Lavande Sun 14-Feb-16 12:25:22

micmc47 as one lapsed Catholic to another I thought your verse very clever and entertaining.

We exchange cards on Valentine Day and make it a treat day to celebrate our love. He always signs his card from a Secret Admirer and I am not going to disclose how I sign mine......too much information.

Right now we are enjoying Prosecco and Pringles with a special lunch in the oven.

NanaandGrampy Sun 14-Feb-16 12:15:06

smile love that Jingl , will they guess who it's from?

Harrysgran I work on the principle that it's for sending cards to those you love as a secret admirer smile and I don't love anyone more than the fabulous 4 .

I've always done it, and to their mummies before they arrived . The world needs a bit more love smile

Nanevon Sun 14-Feb-16 12:07:14

Thank you for your kind wordsGaggi3 - I will probably have to put my birthday celebrations on hold for Tuesday (my 70th). Still he is in the right place. Hope everyone else is having a lovely day today.

Gaggi3 Sun 14-Feb-16 11:57:43

So sorry your DH is in hospital, Nanevon, on any day. Hope he makes a good recovery. flowers

micmc47 Sun 14-Feb-16 10:44:48

Think you're stretching the PC argument a bit thin here. I took the comment to mean that as the Catholic church has always appeared to give more prominence to "the Communion of Saints" than other Christian denominations, the fact that "even they" have given up on St. Val is significant. I took no offence, and I'm a (lapsed) Catholic. Maybe lighten up a bit and don't look for negatives which maybe aren't actually there?.. :-)

harrysgran Sun 14-Feb-16 10:44:25

Never heard of sending them to grandchildren I think it's for couples .

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 14-Feb-16 10:17:29

This is the one GSs will find waiting for them when they arrive (along with choccie hearts)

grabba Sun 14-Feb-16 10:12:17

Synonymous 'even the Catholics' have given up? Ever heard of political correctness? Try typing that again and replace 'the Catholics' with 'the women' or perhaps another group. Then consider whether it is acceptable.

NonnaW Sun 14-Feb-16 09:47:23

Very good mic. Especially like the last two lines, so right

Nanevon Sun 14-Feb-16 09:41:14

Will have to take my valentine card for DH into hospital when I go visiting this afternoon, as I had to call an ambulance for him last night. Must remember to take in his card to me (if I can find it) so he can secretly write in it and give it to me. Who said romance is dead!