Gransnet forums

AIBU

Threatening my dead sister with court action.....

(30 Posts)
Alea Tue 02-Feb-16 13:52:08

Probate should not have been granted if were outstanding bills, and apart from the residue of rent, I find it hard to see how a bill could have been incurred after your sister's death. (Don't mean to be tactless)
One for Twitter/DM /local paper even perhaps?
Ridiculous. angry on your behalf.

Anya Tue 02-Feb-16 13:48:53

If I don't get a satisfactory response by tonight I'll take your advice jingl and do just that.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 02-Feb-16 13:45:47

Send it. Not end it. Sorry.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 02-Feb-16 13:45:16

Crikey! I would put it in a snail mail letter. End it registered post. And mention solicitors.

Anya Tue 02-Feb-16 13:40:32

My estranged sister died in September. I'd had no contact with her for years. She was alcoholic and living on a small nurses pension and state pension, in a housing association one-bed flat. I sorted out the death certificate, arranged and paid for most of her funeral, and informed her landlords, gas, electric, her carers, the council, etc.. of her death.

A month later I received a demand for £129 addressed to her, at my address, but acknowledging her as (dec'd). So I rang Sefton Council and explained, to a very rude girl, the situation. I hoped that was it sorted.

Today, out of the blue, I've just received a Warning of Enforcement threatening extra fees (amounting over £300) to to be added to the bill and that enforcement officers will call at my house (we live 120 miles away) and remove my goods angry

I've just sent Sefton MBC's Head of Corporate Finance a rather pithy email which I hope will sort this out. I hope....

What a total shambles.