Gransnet forums

AIBU

feeling a bit narked

(29 Posts)
rojon Tue 23-Feb-16 15:27:34

I rang the cleansing services to complain that the Bin men had emptied the contents of my food waste bin into my general waste bin. AIBU to feel rather narked that their response was to send ME a leaflet about how to use the recycling bins!!

M0nica Tue 23-Feb-16 16:05:39

Yes.

Alima Tue 23-Feb-16 16:07:30

Yes. I think I would consider not playing their silly game anymore.

M0nica Tue 23-Feb-16 16:07:31

Sorry, answer above is not clear. I think you are being entirely reasonable to be narked at the council's response.

Ana Tue 23-Feb-16 16:08:04

No. Some jobsworth obviously had no idea what to do...

Nonnie Tue 23-Feb-16 16:11:36

I think you should write to them again. Ask them what is the point of you separating it all. Don't give up!

Teetime Tue 23-Feb-16 16:17:33

How odd! I wonder why we don't have a national system that is clear for everyone. I was told here that I may not put any raw vegetable matter that has been in the kitchen into the green bin. I asked if I could put for example cabbage leaves from the garden in - yes of course, cabbage leaves that had been in the kitchen - no on no account, an apple core that I had eaten in the garden which had come from my tree - yes indeed, an apple core that had come from the supermarket and had been in my kitchen - no on no account? The explanation I was given was that the green waste facility is on a farm and my kitchen waste might come into contact with the farm animals and give them an infection.

In the main I compost it but we have too much for a small garden so reluctantly it goes in the grey bin to landfill.

NanaandGrampy Tue 23-Feb-16 17:05:18

We have a green bin ( for garden waste) . We have a waste food recycling caddy in the kitchen and that has to be emptied into the green bin , which is emptied weekly.

All recyclables in pink bags and everything else in black bags except glass which goes in an orange bin !

Its a faff because we now need seperate kitchen bins . I don't mind recycling but tiny UK kitchens are already tight on space . I wonder why we don't use waste disposal units like the US?

Greymary Tue 23-Feb-16 17:12:24

I think you are being perfectly reasonable. Your rates might have been increased to account for separate waste collections so certainly worth writing to repeat your point.

phoenix Tue 23-Feb-16 17:27:02

Put it on their Facebook page! Most councils have them.

Jalima Tue 23-Feb-16 20:25:43

Teetime I have never heard such rubbish (no pun intended grin)
They need to get some better recycling facilities sorted out in your area!!

A national 'joined up' scheme is long overdue.

Jalima Tue 23-Feb-16 20:26:39

Our food waste is separate from our garden waste.
However, they both go into the same recycling lorry. confused

aprilgrace Wed 24-Feb-16 09:21:32

Our local park has big wooden boxes, each containing one bin for general waste and one for dog poo. I watched the man emptying them last week. He pulled out the two bins, emptied one into the other and threw them on the lorry. What's the point of separate bins?

Cotswoldgran Wed 24-Feb-16 09:47:50

How ridiculous, why not send them a bill for needing to clean your bin after they tipped the food waste into it?

Indinana Wed 24-Feb-16 10:23:45

aprilgrace the only thing I can think here is that when opening a dog waste bin, one is met with a noxious smell. Dog owners must tolerate this, but non dog owners could well feel annoyed at having such an assault on their senses when disposing of an empty crisp packet. And, of course, the council is in the business of encouraging people to use bins, not discouraging them.

Indinana Wed 24-Feb-16 10:25:24

Teetime when they empty your green bin, how do they know where the cabbage leaf or the apple core have come from?

shysal Wed 24-Feb-16 10:39:45

South Oxon has circulated leaflets stating that they will now take small electrical items on recycling collection day if left on top of the bin in a poly bag. Twice I have put a broken small fan heater out as described, and each time it has been chucked onto the ground and left behind. The same often happens to batteries left in the same way. The heater is now in my land fill bin, I don't know why I bother trying to do the right thing!angry

Rowantree Wed 24-Feb-16 10:40:46

I agree - I'd pursue this. They have completely misunderstood your complaint and it needs to be spelt /spelled out to them in words of half a syllable.

gillybob Wed 24-Feb-16 10:50:58

It is the same where we live Jalima the council make such a fuss about different coloured bins and different recycling methods and yet when the lorry comes it all goes in the same place. Can't see the point.

NonnaAnnie Wed 24-Feb-16 10:57:13

At recycling points locally we had separate bins for different colour glass. When the bins were emptied all the glass ended up mixed together in one big bin on the lorry? Now we just have bins for mixed glass. Common sense at last!

Rojon, don't give up until you get the response you expect. We pay for this service and should not accept incompetence.

sunseeker Wed 24-Feb-16 11:31:08

My council will take old clothes in the recycling bin so I put out an old blouse only for it to be left on the ground. When I contacted the council to ask them to clarify they said it had to be left in a plastic carrier bag!!

lizzypopbottle Wed 24-Feb-16 14:22:55

They do ask on the dedicated clothing bins that items are bagged. I watched an episode of 'Undercover Boss' a while ago. It was the guy who runs Biffa, the recycling collection firm. In my innocence, I imagined that the contents of my recycling bin (all clean and dry) would be delivered immediately for hand sorting. What I saw on the TV programme really opened my eyes. The stuff waits for weeks or months, getting wet and going mouldy. People put the wrong things in their bin (someone once asked me if I thought it would be OK to put used paper tissues in!) So it's a wonder anyone will do such a disgusting, soul destroying job. So, clothing that's not bagged would be ruined and only fit for landfill.

inishowen Wed 24-Feb-16 14:58:59

Write to your local paper. That will put the cat amongst the pigeons!

Maggieanne Wed 24-Feb-16 16:40:32

It really is a shambles. I've been told by council workers that Birmingham has mixed the contents of all the bins regularly. Regarding food waste, my birds recycle mine. Apple cores, pear cores are absolute favourite, unwanted cat food, if anyone has a cat they will know what I mean, and, sorry about this, but my cat gets frightened sometimes and she will throw up, she's a bit nervy, but the crows think it's a bit of a treat! Well, it saves filling the bin.

Synonymous Wed 24-Feb-16 17:15:20

rojon you are not being unreasonable in any way! Farcical is how I would describe it.

We have just been staying with DD who has 3 wheelie bins issued by her local council. They have three different collections all on different days.
Every single household in the area has a row of these large plastic monsters standing outside and where there are flats there is a whole army of them. After they were emptied the wind would blow them around and tip them over making them a hazard to traffic and pedestrians.
I was totally bemused by what rubbish goes where as it is not as simple as you would think and so I left DD to it in the end.
We only have one wheelie bin thank goodness and there is rarely more than a small kitchen bins worth sitting in solitary splendour in the bottom of it. I don't have enough rubbish to make it worthwhile separating it all out and neither do I have enough space to keep all those big wheelies. As for remembering when what goes out on what day - no chance! hmm confused