Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are there any statues of women?

(62 Posts)
trisher Sat 12-Mar-16 09:44:20

I've just signed a petition to have a statue of a suffragette in Parliament square.https://www.change.org/p/westminster-council-put-a-statue-of-a-suffragette-in-parliament-square
There are 11 statues of men there already. But then I thought how many statues of women are there anyway? I can only think of a couple. Is it unreasonable to think we could do with a few more as the woman said in Suffragette "We are half the population"! Let me know of any statues you know of- I'm counting!

trisher Sat 12-Mar-16 09:45:18

Link Not working try this www.change.org/p/westminster-council-put-a-statue-of-a-suffragette-in-parliament-square

boheminan Sat 12-Mar-16 10:48:36

There's a lovely statue of Lady Godiva on her (not so white) bronze horse in Banbury but apart from her, I can't think of any more women statueshmm so petition signed...

Luckygirl Sat 12-Mar-16 10:50:28

And that statue of the lady whose mum took thalidomide.

janeainsworth Sat 12-Mar-16 11:05:47

There is a monument to Grace Darling in the churchyard at Bamburgh.
And a statue of Queen Victoria in Piccadilly in Manchester.
One year during Rag Week, students painted red footprints going to and from the nearby Public Conveniences grin

trisher Sat 12-Mar-16 11:13:43

Shall we not count Queen Vic? We have 2 one of which used to have a loo near it and same happened here, but the footprints were white (Newcastle) She is probably the only woman with statues everywhere!

Tegan Sat 12-Mar-16 11:15:32

There's a statue of Dawn Run at Cheltenham....[perhaps, if you're going to be a successful woman, better to be an equine one....]...

tanith Sat 12-Mar-16 11:50:43

I knew about a statue to Violette Szabo the wartime spy on the Embankment but there are some others here in London..

now-here-this.timeout.com/2012/03/08/international-womens-day-our-top-five-statues-of-women/

M0nica Sat 12-Mar-16 12:03:52

Edith Cavell, Queen Victoria, hundreds of them.

I am totally opposed to statues of the suffragettes. If it hadn't been for them women would have got the vote 5 - 10 years earlier. It was the suffragists that did the work. How about a statue of Millicent Fawcett?

janeainsworth Sat 12-Mar-16 12:20:16

There is one of a suffragrette already, Trisher, though not actually in Parliament. This is from tanith's link:

"5. Emmeline Pankhurst, Millbank, SW1
AG Walker’s bronze of Emmeline Pankhurst stands at the entrance to Victoria Tower Gardens next to the Houses of Parliament. As leader of the Suffragettes, Pankhurst engaged in militant tactics to achieve her goal of votes for women, something only fully realised in 1928 – the year she died."

Are the statues in Parliament all of MPs?

tanith Sat 12-Mar-16 12:41:58

jane here is a list of the statues of the 'men' in Parliament Square.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_Square

janeainsworth Sat 12-Mar-16 12:52:12

Thanks Tanith.

Ana Sat 12-Mar-16 12:54:57

There's a statue of Margaret Thatcher inside the Houses of Parliament.

Tegan Sat 12-Mar-16 13:16:09

Wonder why it's been put 'inside' and not 'outside' wink...#runs away and hides.....??

kittylester Sat 12-Mar-16 14:25:36

There is a lovely, emotionally moving statue of a woman in Leicester. It is small and depicts her bending over her sewing - it commemorates Leicester's hosiery/knitwear heritage.

rosesarered Sat 12-Mar-16 16:33:15

Yes, Margaret Thatcher in the H of P, tons of Queen Vic, probably in every town or city in the land, and one of Boudicca somewhere I remember seeing,
But really, hardly any at all!
Who would we like to see?

rosesarered Sat 12-Mar-16 16:34:38

Inside Tegan because that's where all the statues of former PM's are.

trisher Sat 12-Mar-16 19:24:48

M0nica the discussion about the effects of the suffragettes on the fight for the vote can be debated but let's not make sweeping statements with no evidence to support them. In 1911 the suffragettes declare a truce whilst waiting for an act to go to its second reading in parliament. It doesn't get through-nothing to do with the women but a Liberal government desperate to cling to power and worried about what would happen if women had the vote.
Millicent Garrett Fawcett- fine!
What about Annie Kenny a working class woman who was a suffragette?

TerriBull Sat 12-Mar-16 20:07:09

There is a statue of the first known queen in England, Queen Boudicca of the Iceni tribe (an Essex girl to be reckoned with grin) as the Romans found out to their cost, along with her daughters somewhere near Westminster.

Coolgran65 Sat 12-Mar-16 20:27:05

Molly Malone in Dublin
"She wheeled her wheelbarrow through streets broad and narrow
Crying cockles and mussels alive alive-o"

annodomini Sat 12-Mar-16 20:32:42

Manchester is to have a statue of Mrs Pankhurst.

TriciaF Sat 12-Mar-16 20:51:09

There was one in Trafalgar Square of the pregnant young woman who had limbs missing due to thalidomide.

TerriBull Sat 12-Mar-16 21:02:01

Yes I remember her TriciaF, I think she was on one of the plinths temporarily, I don't know if she is still there, She may have been replaced by a blue cockerel, I don't think any of these works of art are permanent, but I may be wrong. I did see a programme on tv about her a while back though.

trisher Sun 13-Mar-16 10:15:16

She is called Alison Lapper and the statue was changed in 2007. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Lapper

trisher Sun 13-Mar-16 10:19:10

Ideas-Florence Nightingale, Gertrude Bell, Mary Wollstonecraft.