Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect people to not chat during a film.

(41 Posts)
mb182 Wed 13-Apr-16 15:08:23

Just got back from silver screen. Watched 'The heart of the sea.' Really good value. Only £3 for fairly recent films. Usually not many there and have got used to totally losing myself in the film with no distractions. Was much busier today but shouldn't have made any difference except three women behind me kept making comments to each other about what was happening in the film all the way through. Totally inane, needless comments like, 'Oh, he's cut the sail, there's the white whale, that's the captain, he's dead...........ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Totally spoiled the film for me. AIBU to expect people to not talk while watching a film. As the film was building up to the climax, the court scene, I couldn't bear it any longer so I did turn round and explain politely that their chatting was making it hard for me to to concentrate and enjoy the film. They seemed to take it on board and one of them did apologise at the end saying she didn't realise they were talking so loud. AIBU to expect people to realise that constant whispering in a cinema is just as distracting as loud voices. The irony is the films always start with a reminder to 'Turn off your phones and finish your conversations!'

Luckygirl Wed 13-Apr-16 15:18:23

YANBU - this is why we wait for the films to be released to Love Film and watch them in the peace of our own living room!

Nonnie Wed 13-Apr-16 15:55:23

You are so right. I think some people forget they are not at home in front of the television. We are very lucky in our local cinema and theatres because the audiences are very civilised. They behaved very well last week when someone was taken ill in the theatre and the show simply stopped. Lots of understanding and help.

Last night we watched Alasdair McGowan live and he felt the same. First he asked the guy using his phone if he wanted to contribute to the joke then told a woman her rustling of sweet papers was very annoying. He kept referring back to her after saying if was one of his pet hates. I think the audience was on his side. I hasten to add it was not our local theatre!

Charleygirl Wed 13-Apr-16 16:10:51

That is one reason why I have not been to see a film at a cinema for over 14 years. The last time there was a young lad translating everything to his mate (s) behind my friend and myself and it drove us crazy because we could not concentrate. I did say something but it fell on deaf ears.

harrigran Wed 13-Apr-16 19:09:21

DH and I try to see films that are at the end of their run and then go to morning show, if you go near to lunch time people carry in half a cow in a bun and a bucket of chips and I find their chomping nauseating, like feeding time at the zoo.

Deedaa Wed 13-Apr-16 21:15:07

This is why DH never goes to the cinema. The combination of talking and eating and rustling drives him insane.

rubylady Thu 14-Apr-16 00:10:12

Hands up, I was that talker! blush I used to do this all the time when I went to the cinema with my ex partner, which we did often. He threatened in every film we watched that he would never go with me again if I didn't shut up. But he always did. We had a great time going and I have some lovely memories.

Why don't you just move seats? I do now if I go and someone is annoying for whatever reason.

ninathenana Thu 14-Apr-16 08:00:56

If the cinema wasn't busy I would have moved. Or said something sooner. The ladies were out of order definitely. We must be lucky we've never had a problem with chatterers.
H and I went to the theatre recently to see Motown Story we were in the balcony so the rows in front were lower but someone got up and complained to a member of staff that the people in front were dancing in their seats and spoiling the show confused they weren't waving their arms in the air just jigging to the music. H and I thought they were right bores ?

LullyDully Thu 14-Apr-16 08:17:59

I suppose it's the gogglebox mentality ......or autism. Think I would have moved noisily.Qwest

Lazigirl Thu 14-Apr-16 08:20:52

I love our little local cinema in converted old market hall, but films can be marred by noisy sweet unwrapping throughout. Why do people have to be constantly chomping? There is also a nice licensed cafe and you are able to take wine into the cinema which can be a problem when lulled by the alcohol and warm atmosphere folk drop off and start snoring loudly. Crikey, it's as bad as being at home! Culprits are mainly elderly I have to say.....

Rosina Thu 14-Apr-16 10:27:06

Like some other contributors we wait for a film to come out on DVD and then enjoy it at home. My latest was 'The Lady in The Van' - excellent! Selfish people talking really winds me up and ruins the evening so I too haven't been to the cinema for about five years. The other bonus is that buying the DVD means you can watch again if you wish and it costs a lot less than two cinema tickets.

A work colleague was 'really annoyed' that her daughter and a friend had been given their ticket money back and made to leave the local cinema because they were sending ringtones to each other on their mobiles and wouldn't stop even when asked! Obviously the film had been spoiled for everyone present, but hey, why worry about other people.

Also - why do people need to eat? That one always gets me - rant over now.

Rosina Thu 14-Apr-16 10:30:37

Just to add - a gentle male relative got so wound up by talking behind him that he rolled up his newspaper, leapt to his feet, smashed the paper down on the back of his own seat and yelled 'I have NOT come here to listen to you!' As he sat down there was a ripple of applause from other seats and complete silence thereafter from the noisy people.

(Not to be recommended!)

JS06 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:32:08

I love the cinema but usually dread our trips as invariably we get next to the chatterers, the drunks or the incessant sweetie wrapper fiddlers.

Recently a Mum and Dad sat with a teen son in-between them right in front of us. They talked at a high pitched volume throughout the very loud Pearl and Dean adverts and I still could hear them the most. My teeth were grinding and it was only the adverts. I took the bull by the horns and stuck my head between the Mum and lad and asked politely if they could keep the noise down to a reasonable level please, all of them. Surprisingly they nodded in agreement and didn't say another word. They distracted themselves though by eating junk and slurping their slush puppies throughout a two hour film. I was intrigued that they could keep at it without feeling sick but they were masters.

We did enjoy the film in relative peace though.

I do love having my own home cinema experience too and then I only have to tut at my DH as he stops the film for a loo break!

ania123 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:40:23

Have rarely been to the cinema in recent times as I get so annoyed by the talking, lights from phones and the horrendous eating! My most hated food is super smelly nachos. At first I thought someone had taken their shoes off and was stinking the place out. Disgusting! Much prefer our 'home cinema' even if we do have too small a screen for my failing eye sight.

harrigran Thu 14-Apr-16 10:48:06

I find, when I take GD to the cinema, that the children are usually quiet and are just engrossed in whatever Disney/ Pixar film is being shown. The mothers usually sit with their smart phones, although the light from them is distracting it is not as bad as loud chatter.

RAF Thu 14-Apr-16 11:06:17

I read somewhere they were thinking of making films shorter because viewers could not concentrate for two hours!

I do think that the availablility of so much choice on TV and on line means that people do find it difficult to focus on one thing anymore. And they do treat the cinema as if it was their home, frequent trips out to the loo or to buy more food. Programmes like Gogglebox have the viewers talking all the way through, and I guess at home we do talk over the TV because it is on such a lot.

I think you have to make it a different experience, we have a newly refurbished art deco cinema which has huge revolving armchairs set round tables, only food available is a selection of roast nuts in a glass dish, and drinks are small ones, soft or alcoholic and do not come with straws! No-one talks, because they have paid more than usual to see the film, and for the experience.

It is not just the cinema though, is it? It is beginning to affect theatre performances too, this constant fidgeting, talking, and going out and coming back in again.

lizzypopbottle Thu 14-Apr-16 11:20:43

I went to see 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen' and a group of women behind laughed uproariously throughout the film. Now, I agree it's quite a funny film and I did laugh out loud once (but not loudly) or twice but mostly it's more of a smiley film. Those women were so annoying but I reckon they'd had a drink...

Maccyt1955 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:36:41

I totally agree with everything said. Why should we have to put up with inane people chattering, opening sweets and rustling loudly. I went to see 'The Danish Girl', and a middle aged woman was chomping crisps during a very poignant scene. I turned round and asked her to stop. Why did she go to see this film, and then behave like a slob. The film was ruined for me, but I don't want to watch DVD's at home. I used to like going to the cinema. But I am afraid the temptation to buy packets of sweets, nachos or crunchy things, is just too much for some people. Food is on sale everywhere. No wonder people are obese. Whatever happened to an ice cream in the interval?

moobox Thu 14-Apr-16 11:37:57

Yes, all that is annoying, including the constant loud laughter. Having said that, at our local silver screening, we all chat away throughout the ads and trailers

Maccyt1955 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:38:09

Sorry to rant, but it's one of my pet hates, or didn't you realise!

Marty Thu 14-Apr-16 11:40:51

My husband and I have just been to see Macbeth at Cinema Nouveau. 9am show on a Thursday morning. We were the only ones in the small cinema. It was absolute bliss. No one munching, scrunching or slurping. And the film was
riveting.

Victoria08 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:59:25

I once got sat in the same row as a couple of people with learning difficulties.

They were talking and laughing inappropriately throughout the film.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have any inhibitions.

Felt feeble for not saying anything, but perhaps I should have.

BBbevan Thu 14-Apr-16 12:13:38

When my Dad was little , he said, there was a family in his village with 8 children. Occasionally they all went to the 1st house at the cinema. The Mother would take a large uncut loaf which she would saw lumps of and liberally cover with marg before passing them along the row. grin

Babyboomer Thu 14-Apr-16 12:19:45

I don't often get angry, but like lots of others on this post, people talking and making a noise during films drives me wild. I, too, now wait until a film I want to watch comes out on DVD or TV and try to avoid the cinema.

Is it that some people really don't care what others feel? If you are comfortable with your seat, why should you have to get up and move because someone near you is being inconsiderate?

There are some really selfish people about, but probably it is mainly just thoughtlessness - most of us are used to having the TV on a lot, and talking normally while it is on. Maybe these pests just forget that they are not at home.

Pamish Thu 14-Apr-16 12:27:42

This used to be a job for the usher. At least one staff member on every level, and they would do the shushing. Olden days.