Gransnet forums

AIBU

Marks and Spencer's Again

(50 Posts)
Cambia Tue 26-Jul-16 16:47:28

AIBU? Looked online last night to check stock of Per Una lift and sculp bootleg jeans at my nearest branch. Not sure what size I needed 10 or 12 so needed to try them. Yes, stock of both sizes so I drive a 40 mile round trip ( we live in the sticks). Search the whole shop for jeans, can't find. Search the shop for staff to help, can't find. Go to tills and ask. Very nice lady re-searched shop with me. No sign of jeans. Goes off to hunt upstairs ( men's dept upstairs). Comes back with one pair of size 12. Try on, miles too big and come home empty handed and bad tempered!

Come on Marks and Spencer - I was there with my money wanting to spend it!!!! Get your act together.

Sorry just needed that rant!

Sorry, needed that rant after a wasted journey

kittylester Tue 26-Jul-16 17:03:38

That is annoying but you could order on line (free delivery over £50, I think) with free return or order to collect in store for free and then post them back. I do it all the time! grin

HildaW Tue 26-Jul-16 17:39:31

I order on line....to collect from store....then you always know they are in stock.....then just get a refund if I do not want it. Especially useful if buying lots of little things like tights or underwear - saves all the legwork and shuffling through the stock.

rosesarered Tue 26-Jul-16 17:41:30

Never mind, think the cheerful thought that you are a size 10! grin

Charleygirl Tue 26-Jul-16 18:22:28

I do what HildaW does, a food store is more convenient so I pick up from there. Not that I do much buying from M&S these days!

Cambia Tue 26-Jul-16 19:26:26

Mmmm needed them today, going caravanning with grandchildren tomorrow. Never mind, after a week of fish and chips etc at the seaside etc the size 12s might fit! Usually do order online and will do in future, just thought this might be quick and easy!

Deedaa Tue 26-Jul-16 21:15:55

Twice now I have bought size 16 trousers without trying them on, only to find they are about 2" too small round the waist. I know it's them not me because all my old pairs of 16s still fit perfectly. They are complaining that they are losing money because people are ordering several sizes and returning all the ones that don't fit, but what are you to do if you can't rely on the sizing?

Charleygirl Tue 26-Jul-16 21:20:32

I agree, the sizing is way out. I have given up even looking at tops for that reason. I hate trying on clothes in shops, I prefer my bedroom.

The trousers are so thin now that soon I will be able to see through them. I must start looking elsewhere.

DaphneBroon Tue 26-Jul-16 21:30:07

Exactly my problem with this year's linen trousers Deedaa - New ones (worn, so I have to keep them, but they are tight) will probably languish in the wardrobe while I go on wearing last year's until they get too thin for decency! angry

Pollengran Tue 26-Jul-16 21:53:25

Agree that they don't know what they are doing Cambia, but if I complained about size 12 jeans being too big, I would be very pleased with myself grin

NotTooOld Tue 26-Jul-16 22:21:02

I've been saying it for years - MandS sizing is absolute rubbish. I've given up on them now and I go to Whitestuff and Fatface. Both are more expensive than MandS but the stores are conveniently situated near to where I live, the clothes are a bit 'different', the assistants are friendly and helpful and I'm buying fewer clothes anyway as I'm always happy with the ones I get and so I wear them more frequently. MandS has lost a life long customer.

Genevieve489 Thu 28-Jul-16 11:25:44

Totally agree about M&S sizing. Their 'short' trousers are just the right length for me, but I never buy them online anymore because I can't trust their sizing. I resent having to pay upfront for two pairs to be delivered and have the hassle of returning one of them - sometimes both - in order to get the right size.

Ilrina Wed 17-Aug-16 23:58:57

I cannot stand department stores of any sort. Why would I want to be wearing the same item as so many other people?

Jane10 Thu 18-Aug-16 07:42:05

Pedant alert! There's a big difference between 'department stores' and chain stores! M&S is a chain store smile

gillybob Thu 18-Aug-16 07:43:39

Some of us cannot afford "one off"
Pieces from designer stores Ilrina.
I don't but M&S very much ( other than their undies)!but I think it's how you put an outfit together that makes it different. How you look in it and how you accessorise.

gillybob Thu 18-Aug-16 07:43:56

Buy not but !

DaphneBroon Thu 18-Aug-16 08:43:05

www.romper.com/p/was-joyce-beatty-wearing-the-same-dress-as-melania-trump-at-the-dnc-it-was-very-similar-15300

I imagine Melania Trump would agree with you Ilrina and she doesn't exactly shop st M&S!

harrigran Thu 18-Aug-16 09:24:20

The same article of clothing can look totally different on people depending on body shape and height and what they wear with the outfit.
Designer outfits are sometimes so distinctive that you would probably not wear it again, people tend to remember one offs.
I buy what I like regardless of where it comes from.

M0nica Thu 18-Aug-16 10:09:06

Never. ever liked M&S, not since the 60s, when whatever I wanted, it wasn't in stock in my size, my colour or length either because that size/colour/length was sold out because it was so popular or because there was so little demand.

Online has overcome that problem but since the days of Stuart Rose, quality has been so poor. I bought a pair of summer trousers from M&S last year, simply because they were the only ones stocking the colour I wanted but the quality compared with the similar trousers bought from M&Co for a similar price is very poor indeed.

M0nica Thu 18-Aug-16 10:10:51

Loved the link DaphneBroon. The dress looked so much more stylish on the older lady. Just shows that its not what you wear but the way that you wear it and Joyce Beatty clearly is a lady with style character and chutzpah and gives the dress something that Melania Trump will always lack, were she twice as old as Joyce Beatty.

Ilrina Thu 18-Aug-16 13:53:56

OK Jane 10, department, or chain store I do not like to shop in either. Gilybob you are making assumptions that I shop in designer stores. With a Husband who had to give up his self employment early due to serious ill health, and having had to take some time off myself recovering from cancer, then no I do not have alot of cash.
What I do like to do is shop at individual little boutiques, and always when there is a sale on. I also have bought things when we used to go on holiday abroad. My pride and joy is a jacket I bought at a reasonable price from a small boutique in France. I have had this ten years now and it always is commented on when I wear it.
So please do not make assumptions! For the record I had a look at the dress on the link, and I think it is hideous.

Pollengran Thu 18-Aug-16 16:36:06

I couldn't be doing with that dress either. The puff sleeves would get in the way when washing the dishes smile.

I still like M&S, and bought two tops and some cropped trousers this week, but I made sure I tried them on first.

M0nica Thu 18-Aug-16 16:40:07

Not liking a dress myself does not stop me admiring someone else looking stunning in it.

Riverwalk Thu 18-Aug-16 16:55:06

I'm just wondering why M&S is not a department store hmm

It's big and has different departments e.g. food, clothes, furniture, kitchenware, cafe, a bank, etc.

M0nica Thu 18-Aug-16 17:01:48

I think nowadays differences between different types of stores are far less distinct than they used to be but M&S is probably because it started out as clothes retailer and it had multiple shops, like a chain. Originally departments stores were individual businesses, with only the occasional one owning more than one store.

The range of goods M&S sell is still limited, visit a store and the goods in it are primarily food and clothing. The range in a John Lewis, for example, is far wider.