Gransnet forums

AIBU

Medalling!

(70 Posts)
hildajenniJ Thu 11-Aug-16 18:48:57

I hope I am not being unreasonable, but it makes me cringe every time I hear a presenter or commentator tell TV viewers that an athlete or sportsperson have medaled or are medalling. In my opinion you cannot medal, you can win a medal however. I know that language evolves, but isn't this a step too far?

BlueBelle Sat 13-Aug-16 07:26:43

Here's another one that drives me crazy ....everyone is 'Hun' I cringe when someone calls me Hun anyone else hate this? it's even worse when it's someone you don't know or want to know
" Here Hun you just dropped this" grrrrrr thank you said through gritted teeth

Leftoutside2 Sat 13-Aug-16 07:18:34

The commentators seem to be talking too much in this Olympics, especially. Matt Baker his comment' down to the wire'really annoyed me.

Gaggi3 Fri 12-Aug-16 22:12:50

Does no-one else think it inappropriate that a child should be made to stand on his chair as a punishment for anything, let alone for being right. I've been retired from the profession for 12 years and would not have sanctioned this kind of action.

Deedaa Fri 12-Aug-16 21:00:14

And can I just mention "Going forward" just so that everyone knows why when I rush out and murder someone who says it once too often!

Jalima Fri 12-Aug-16 20:30:38

Watching the diving the other evening and the commentator kept saying "he's in the mix" - absolute nonsense and really drove me bonkers!
Hooty looking at the green water one may well wonder what is in the mix though!!

Nampam Fri 12-Aug-16 19:50:05

And...what has happened to the past tense?? Americans in particular and also some Irish writers, e.g.it fit her should be it fitted her! Grrrrrhhhhh!

Sweetness1 Fri 12-Aug-16 19:36:30

I love sport, so am happy wiith olympics, but don't see why it has to be reported on the news and then the local news!

Sweetness1 Fri 12-Aug-16 19:32:06

Team GB is my irritation too..sounds gimmicky! When did that start? Other countries seem to go with the country's name. Annoying!

Dharmacat Fri 12-Aug-16 19:31:33

Don't get me going about anything to do with medals or the Olympics. Just watched the so called news: olympic sport/ sport/ sport. Since the Olympics appears to occupy most of the TV channels for most of the day , (this is following on football, Wimbledon, rugby, cycling etc .) please can those of us who do not like sport have some respite? Presumably nothing else is happening in the world at large? Rant over - apologies to sports fans. A dedicated sports channel is required.

phantom12 Fri 12-Aug-16 19:20:06

I am a council employee and I hate their use of the word 'robust'. The way they announce that they have a robust plan to save money over the next few years!

Sheilasue Fri 12-Aug-16 18:31:35

Always thought medaling was when you poked your nose in some one else business. Medaling medalling which one ......

Juggernaut Fri 12-Aug-16 17:46:17

Our DS came home from school aged seven, and told me that his class teacher had made him stand on his chair for five minutes for being cheeky.
I would have given him 'down the banks' for being naughty, but he wasn't usually a cheeky child.
So, I asked why, it transpired that the teacher had said 'haitch' and he'd put his hand up, when she asked what he wanted, he'd told her that his mum said it was 'aitch'. So, she decided that it was appropriate to punish him for being correct!
Admittedly it probably could have been considered cheeky, but if she'd used 'proper' English he'd have had no reason to question it!
I went to school to see Mrs G. the following afternoon. She took offence, called the headmaster in to the room, presumably thinking that he was going to side with her, and had to back down when he told her that I was right, my DS was right, and she really needed to make sure that she was teaching her class correct pronunciation and grammar!
To her credit she didn't 'take it out' of my DS after this event, (which is just as well) but later that term I was checking through his English workbook, and when he had described feeding a 'squirrel' she had crossed the word out and corrected it to 'squirell'....cue angry mum making yet another visit to the schoolangry
Apparently that time was a 'slip up' because she was 'very tired when doing the marking'!
Hmmmm, maybe tired, or maybe just a bit thickconfused
My pet hate (apart from haitch) is the Americanism of 'reach out', they don't speak to someone, they 'reach out' to them.....hate it, hate it, hate it!

gettingonabit Fri 12-Aug-16 14:48:57

manzara I think "haitch" is acceptable if you're Irish. Something to do with the spelling of the Gaelic letter "h".

Otherwise, no. Just nooo.

gettingonabit Fri 12-Aug-16 14:46:46

Haitchshock.

Everyone who says that goes down in my opinion. I listen out for it all the time. I've always told dd off for saying it.

I don't care how otherwise well-informed a person is. It's AITCH ffs.

(John Inverdale has just said "aitch" during his Olympic commentary. Phew.).

Manzara Fri 12-Aug-16 14:30:58

It drives me barmy when people (including TV presenters) say 'haitch' when they mean 'aitch'! Aitch is the correct spelling and pronunciation of the letter 'H' ....in my opinion. I was taught, at grammar school, that 'haitch' is only used by people who knew no better! So, I thought that 'haitch' would not be in the dictionary..... however, to my annoyance, having employed Google, I find that the pronunciation 'haitch' is also attested as a legitimate variant! It still annoys me when I hear it though!

Peaseblossom Fri 12-Aug-16 14:29:57

I really hate a lot of the American expressions, particularly I've got your back! Extremely irritating. I always feel like saying what about their front?! I couldn't believe it when I heard Dot Cotton in Eastenders say it. As if she would seriously say I've got your back. I even heard it in the series Versailles! I'm sure they wouldn't have said it hundreds of years ago but of course it would have been in French. I hate it when people say dove instead of dived, sneakers, snuck instead of sneaked is a particularly ugly word. One of my pet hates is alphabetized. shock. I could go on and on. My daughters always use proper English in text messages and none of the shortened forms thank goodness as I hate that too. Some of my friends who are in their 50s and older put def or deffo instead of definitely. shock ur, gr8, m8 etc. are an abomination. Please stick to proper English.

Maggymay Fri 12-Aug-16 14:29:25

It annoys me when weather forecasters refer to snow as the white stuff and rain as the wet stuff.

Conni7 Fri 12-Aug-16 14:05:43

Y'know is one of my pet hates. Golfers are the worst. I count them and usually reach double figures. Another one is "like".

Normanize9 Fri 12-Aug-16 12:18:56

Have you noticed how every newly built flat or house is called a 'luxury' flat/house. This in itself is interesting [some of them look most unlikely to be as described]. However, it's the English that bothers me: You can buy a 'luxurious' flat, not a luxury flat. After that, you can then live in it 'in luxury'.

missdeke Fri 12-Aug-16 12:18:16

I actually turned the olympics of because the presenter kept saying 'medalling' and it was driving me crazy, did the same at the last Winter Olympics because of the presenters commentary on the snowboarding. Yes I know I could have just turned the sound down but i am not that clever when it comes to all the rules etc and need to know what's going on.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 12-Aug-16 12:10:23

BlueBelle I work with someone who ends nearly every single sentence with. " blah blah blah. So ..." And I feel like saying "So, what?!" Another thing I dislike is people ending a sentence with(e.g.) "Do you want blah blah blah. Or ..." Grrr I can feel my hackles rising just writing it! Or, what?! Ha ha!

HootyMcOwlface Fri 12-Aug-16 12:02:04

Watching the diving the other evening and the commentator kept saying "he's in the mix" - absolute nonsense and really drove me bonkers!

1inamillion Fri 12-Aug-16 11:21:37

Agree with all that's been said. I really hate " can I get" too, first heard it on Countdown but the contestant was Canadian and is common parlance there. However I hear it everywhere now even in the local bakery in my sleepy Welsh seaside town - " can I get a bacon roll please" at least I think they said please ?

OnlyAMan Fri 12-Aug-16 10:54:38

Would a cyclist be medalling in the pedalling?!

Gaggi3 Fri 12-Aug-16 10:13:14

Reminds me, in a convoluted way, of the old joke. "Do you like Kipling?" " I don't know, I've never kippled."