Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think parents should watch their children when swimming??

(53 Posts)
grannylyn65 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:14:08

Horrified to read this post, is it worth mentioning to staff ?

Badenkate Wed 17-Aug-16 17:04:40

I'm amazed the lifeguard didn't insist on parents being in with children under a certain age. The pool would be in a very bad position if anything happened!

NanaandGrampy Wed 17-Aug-16 16:58:29

Took DGS3 aged 4 for our usual swimming afternoon at the gym.

It was a beautiful day so we started off in the outdoor pool. He's a good little swimmer but at the age of 4 I would not let him in the water without being in with him. The pool is surrounded by loungers, each one with a mummy or daddy laying on them.

In the water were a number of small children who could plainly not swim. Although there's a shallow area there's nothing to stop them going deeper. The one lifeguard was watching BOTH this pool and the bigger indoor pool.

Several times I pulled a little girl ( she was 3 she told me) to the side as she struggled to get her head above water.

Inside were a group of 8-10 year olds and one 3/4 year old . No-one was watching the little one .there wasn't a parent in sight.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting parents to keep a closer eye on non swimmers. I felt obliged to do their job. The lifeguard was severely over stretched too. I shall be complaining to the gym about it. Not her fault but just not good enough.

I was brought up by the sea, I have huge respect for the water and know taking your eye off non swimmers, even for a second can be catastrophic !!

Rant over....getting off soap box...it's chilly up here smile