Gransnet forums

AIBU

Strip Off!

(158 Posts)
granjura Thu 25-Aug-16 12:42:25

What a dreadful way to deal with fear- shame on the French. Shame on those on the beach who gawped and the many who clapped.

Gracesgran Thu 25-Aug-16 12:35:25

The French seem to be using the law against overt religious symbols but the Muslim community keeps being told the wearing of burkas is cultural not religious. They really need to think about what they are doing rather than trying to satisfy the lowest common denominator in the local population. I agree we don't all want to uncover for all sorts of reasons. It is indeed outrageous, ridiculous and, in the long run self defeating. We are living in a madly precarious world.

millymouge Thu 25-Aug-16 12:35:17

Why can you not wear what you want, I really cannot understand it. Some people just do not want to bare it all and personally I don't blame them. It is definitely a breach of human rights making a woman remove some clothing in front of everyone.

sunseeker Thu 25-Aug-16 12:20:53

There is a picture in the papers today of a group of women wearing burquas happily paddling off a UK beach, no-one appears to be objecting. Whilst I can sort of understand where the French are coming from, making a woman undress is surely a breach of human rights. How much clothing was she made to remove?

varian Thu 25-Aug-16 12:09:42

Unless it's a designated nudist beach, women should wear any kind of clothes that cover the bits that need covering.

Obviously for some that might just be a bikini but for others a long kaftan and sunhat - or a burkini.

The only covering which should not be allowed in public places is face covering - unless you are actually riding a motorbike and wearing a face-protecting helmet.

tanith Thu 25-Aug-16 12:03:13

Just ridiculous whatever next? There could be numerous reasons for covering up.

ninathenana Thu 25-Aug-16 11:47:32

When I saw that in the press yesterday I thought it was an obvious breach of human rights. There are those who for various reasons don't want to be as exposed as they would be in a swim suit. With my shape I would never be seen in a swim suit. So I would be banned from the beach. Outrageous !!!

Jalima Thu 25-Aug-16 11:17:01

I sometimes wear long cotton trousers and top plus a hat on the beach; I like a bit of sunshine for Vitamin D but prefer to cover up than use excessive amounts of suncream.

If I go to France will I be made to strip off to my swimsuit by armed police in order to respect good morals?

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/burkini-swimwear-ban-france-nice-armed-police-hijab-muslim-a7206776.html
Or is it just women wearing headscarves?

I know that France is jittery and for good reason, but is this the right way forward?
Will this not exacerbate an already tense situation?