Gransnet forums

AIBU

Growing up

(37 Posts)
SueDonim Tue 06-Sep-16 20:34:08

Damn you, autocorrect! That should be bullet, not bulletin!

Christinefrance Tue 06-Sep-16 19:37:39

Yes I agree , girls of that age need to be the same as their peers ( within reasonable limits ) I agree with SueDonim and others. Girls mature more quickly now so go for it. The novelty will soon wear off I'm sure.

SueDonim Tue 06-Sep-16 19:16:23

If no one buys her some tights, then she's going to try shaving her legs anyway. You may as well bite the bulletin and show her how to shave/exfoliate safely or get her some tights.

Ana Tue 06-Sep-16 18:48:37

If you don't want her shaving her legs, buy her the tights everyone else at school wears.

It's awful at that age to be 'different'!

BlueBelle Tue 06-Sep-16 18:41:26

I too agree with those that said don't be horrified by this need to conform Having seven grandkids all of whom are in the teen or pre teen bracket it is incredible important they 'belong' I also remember the horror of having handmade uniform when everyone else had shop bought when I was at school 60 odd years ago no one was awful to me but it was commented on often and I would have gone through the floor if I could and now is so much more prevalant than it was then and it happens to boys as well as girls A few kids are confident enough to be ' different' but the majority aren't
Let her do what she needs in the best way possible or buy her the same tights as the others wear and don't be horrified there is worse to come LoL

Elrel Tue 06-Sep-16 18:40:55

Surely it depends on the amount of hair, I've never needed to shave mine. Tried it once and looked no different, just felt very slightly bristly! A friend had such hairy legs that unshaven she appeared to be wearing black lace tights.
I expect it's the usual 'Everyone shaves' and 'No one leaves hair on their legs.' Many schools/forms/peer groups are exclusively composed of those two pupils!

Charleygirl Tue 06-Sep-16 18:27:15

I agree with Luckygirl and annsixty- if you help her now she will be more willing to discuss more controversial subjects with you later. She must feel "one of the gang".

I also think that she will soon get fed up shaving her legs and she may also find that an epilator is at the best uncomfortable but could be painful.

tanith Tue 06-Sep-16 18:24:24

No argument from me if she wants sheer tights but I don't think I will be comfortable with an 11yr old who has to shave her legs all the time, oh well!

Linsco56 Tue 06-Sep-16 18:23:32

I wouldn't agree with leg shaving at 11yrs and I think annsixty has made a good suggestion.

There was a similar thread not so long ago and someone suggested a hair removal exfoliating mitt which seems more acceptable (and safer) for an 11yr old.

Luckygirl Tue 06-Sep-16 18:20:08

I'm with merlot - being included and feeling part of the gang is so important at that age. It will not harm her to shave her legs. Buy her an epilator and help her to do it. It is likely that she will get bored with the whole palaver as time goes by if you help her and behave in an understanding way, rather than risking her being an outsider.

There will be plenty of times when the "gang" is trying to pull her in a seriously dangerous direction and you need to save your fire for the serious situations.

annsixty Tue 06-Sep-16 18:06:47

I don't want to be controversial, though I feel I will be, but do not set her apart from her peers. We compromised with GD by her wearing M&S 30/40 denier navy tights which most of the girls wore. The thick woolly tights will not do and you will make her resentful.

tanith Tue 06-Sep-16 17:42:05

My 11yr old granddaughter started high school yesterday and she called in after school to tell us about her day she was very excited and loved meeting new friends . Then out of the blue she said to her Mum 'I need to shave my legs if I'm going to wear short socks or you have to buy me tights'. Apparently its usual (according to other girls) that if you have bare legs they have to be shaved. Really? at 11 for goodness sake. Mum and I were horrified and told her in no uncertain terms that wasn't happening and she could have woolly tights when the weather turned cold. I have a feeling that she might try it for herself despite what she's been told though, I could just cry for her.

What does anyone else thing or am I over reacting?