Gransnet forums

AIBU

Student Flats

(31 Posts)
SueDonim Fri 09-Sep-16 13:26:55

There are lots of student flats being built where my dd goes to uni. They're built by private developers, not the council, and it relieves pressure on both availability and rents of 'normal' homes. There are now fewer people chasing after accomodation and people also have more choice,

Anniebach Fri 09-Sep-16 13:16:43

My grandchildren moved from Halls to a shared house for second year

Willow500 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:13:17

Think I know where you are mrsmopp and if so then I agree and if I'm not then a place we often visit is just the same! I also thought that students lived in halls but now having a granddaughter who has just moved into a flat for her second year it seems not.

mrsmopp Fri 09-Sep-16 12:08:21

Ah, point taken, probably private developers with full council planning approval.
Still horrible eyesores out of keeping with the area though.

Riverwalk Fri 09-Sep-16 10:40:01

Are you sure the Council is building these flats?

mrsmopp Fri 09-Sep-16 10:32:02

I'm not saying where I live but I think my town is typical of many. We have been taken over by huge developments of student flats everywhere we look. It has gone berserk!
We have homeless people living on the streets but the council can afford these flats which are only occupied for half the year. I agree students need to live somewhere but what happened to halls of residence? There are plenty of private landlords offering accommodation. It seems to have got out of all proportion.
With Brexit who knows what changes will be made to border controls as most of these students are coming in from abroad?
Our historic town now has massive scaffolding, ugly and out of proportion, yes, another block of student flats.
Maybe I am being unreasonable, but I'd like to see some decent flats for pensioners or young working people starting off.