Gransnet forums

AIBU

... to think the gifts received by GCs are way toooo expensive and sophisticated ...

(155 Posts)
granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 19:14:53

just another 'gift' thread. What do you think?

Skullduggery Mon 26-Dec-16 19:22:46

Way toooo?
Sorry but...you sound like my annoying 7 yr DS. I'm always having to correct him about using silly American-isms.

We sent a couple of books to our 3yr DGS this year, so I don't think that could be considered excessive. His other GP bought him a remote controlled digger that's at tall as he is, but that's up to them. I'm not getting into a competition.

Skullduggery Mon 26-Dec-16 19:26:14

Oops. Didn't mean to sound overly pedantic. It's just a particular phrase that really grates with me. blush

Ana Mon 26-Dec-16 19:28:56

I think we didn't need yet another thread about Christmas presents.

BoadiceaJones Mon 26-Dec-16 19:40:25

I agree with you, OP. But sadly, it's a culture of consumerism targeting children going into overdrive at Christmas or any other merchandising opportunity. And Skully...sorry, though I'm a fully paid-up pedant, I use "toooo" all the time because of the neat emphasis that it gives. I'm not sure that this is the appropriate forum for grammar lessons, frankly.

BoadiceaJones Mon 26-Dec-16 19:41:22

Ooops, I missed a comma, sorry! smile

janeainsworth Mon 26-Dec-16 19:43:30

I think it's nobody else's business what anyone gives their DGC for Christmas.
I have no idea what other people gave their GCs, and care even less, and so am not in a position to judge whether the gifts are too expensive or too sophisticated. Who sets the standards? You, Granjura? confused

granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 20:03:06

Thank you BodiceaJones.

Ana - you just can't help yourself- it is so obvious and sad.

jane- not talking about grand-parents's presents to DGCs- but in general. No, I do not set the standard at all- this is just a discussion. You can choose to take part, or not- why

Just been watching the start of 'the world's most expensive toys- and it made me think.

granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 20:04:14

One issue is the pressure it puts on other parents, who possibly can't afford to buy i-Pads, drones, motorised toy cars and the like.

Ana Mon 26-Dec-16 20:07:36

Oh dear, can't they just say 'no'?

Or is that so obvious and sad...? You're so funny, Jura!

petra Mon 26-Dec-16 20:13:47

It all depends on what you call expensive and what you call sophisticated.
When it comes to cost, I don't care. I love them to bits and if they want it, they can have it. My daughter pulls a face, sometimes but then says: it's your money, do what you like with it.

Kittye Mon 26-Dec-16 20:25:17

I'm sure our grandparents said the same about us. I spend as much as I can afford on my grandchildren as we didn't have a lot of money to spend on our children. There aren't any pockets in shrouds !

mumofmadboys Mon 26-Dec-16 20:47:51

Granjura has started a perfectly acceptable thread. Why all the grumpiness? It is the season of goodwill!!

granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 20:50:51

Ana, not being able to say 'no' was not the 'sad' bit.

But that is exactly the point, many parents just don't seem to be able to say 'no' these days. Not talking about my GCs btw, just in general. Not good for children to be over-indulged imho- and it puts pressure on everyone and becomes a competition.

10 year olds in play ground:

What did you get for Christmas then?

A kite and a pair of rollerblades and a new anorak.

What? i got an I-Pad, A top of the range Drône, and the latest Apple phone...

Oh ... ok then (goes home and tell parents who stretched to the limit that all the other kids got better presents). You are right, that is sad too.

granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 20:51:42

Thank you mumofmadboys- exactly.

merlotgran Mon 26-Dec-16 20:52:32

The thread title has a slightly grumpy edge to it, that's why.

merlotgran Mon 26-Dec-16 20:54:25

Are you skulking around in playgrounds, granjura? tchgrin

Ana Mon 26-Dec-16 21:02:12

Weird...tchwink

rosesarered Mon 26-Dec-16 21:17:09

I don't think it's true that many grandchildren receive gifts that are too ( or even toooo)
Expensive and sophisicated, but for the few that do,presumably their parents are well off enough for them to afford them (as was always the case.)
And yes, this is yet another grumpy thread.

janeainsworth Mon 26-Dec-16 21:18:56

jane- not talking about grand-parents's presents to DGCs- but in general.
Your thread title says 'the gifts received by GCs' - that does rather imply that the present-givers you are criticising are the children's grandparents, doesn't it?

You can choose to take part, or not- why

Why what?

granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 21:22:04

Ana and Merlot - weird indeed- and a very Happy New Year to you too. Your posts do have a 'grumpy edge' for sure.

Maybe you missed that bit

'Just been watching the start of 'the world's most expensive toys- and it made me think.'

It is in the AIBU board, which is for ... AIBUs, no?

... and the playgroun scenario was of course just imagining what ti could be like. Kids can be very cruel (so can be adults btw- perhaps older ladies too...).

Ana Mon 26-Dec-16 21:25:32

Strange that you choose to reply only to Merlot's and my posts...

granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 21:25:38

jane- the why is a typo, apologies. But the sentiment was clear- why not choose to ignore if you think a thread is non-sense, daft, or whatever.

And no, this is not what I implied - about grand parents' choice of presents - just kids in general.

granjura Mon 26-Dec-16 21:27:53

And there you go Ana- several posts to 'attack' and not a single contribution to the discussion at all- as usual.
Weird indeed.

janeainsworth Mon 26-Dec-16 21:28:24

Anyone can post on any thread on this forum gj, even if they disagree with the premise of the OP.
It would be rather dull if they didn't.