Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think it's wrong to have sugar lollies in the shape of a male appendage on sale in a gift shop aimed at familes, in reach of young children?

(58 Posts)
Smileless2012 Wed 22-Feb-17 18:07:54

Mr. S. and I went for a walk along the sea front and went into a gift shop selling a range of toys, sticks of rock and sweets clearly aimed at families.

We heard raucous laughter from 2 boys aged about 7 and 5 as one of them had picked up a large sugar lolly in the shape of a man's p...sshock; these were mixed in with others of various shapes. Their mother tried to laugh it off and repeatedly told the boy to put it back.

I approached the woman behind the counter and asked her if she thought it acceptable to have something like that on sale and within the reach of children. She said children couldn't reach them so I told her the 2 boys were laughing because one of them had picked one up. I told her I thought it disgusting to have them on sale in the first place. She responded by saying 'well you can't please everyone'. AIBU?

Rosepug Sun 26-Feb-17 00:06:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Smileless2012 Fri 24-Feb-17 13:56:52

We believe you eddiecatgrin.

Iam64 Fri 24-Feb-17 08:40:45

It never occurred to me otherwise eddiecat!

eddiecat78 Fri 24-Feb-17 07:45:47

I feel I should clarify - I was actually looking for colouring books for adults - not "adult" colouring books!

Iam64 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:55:52

PMG eddiecat - adult colouring books. Yuk and yuk again.

I realise this is probably a separate topic but I've been fairly p*****ed off by the focus on the recent film, the 2nd one in the Shades of Grey nonsense. How come it pushed at us as a romance, rather than a story of stalking and abuse?

eddiecat78 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:58:13

Going off subject a bit - I also object to decidedly dodgy birthday cards being mixed up with comical ones under the "Humourous" banner. That`s a shopping experience with my 93 year old father I don`t want again!
(Mind you - I`ve recently been searching online for "Adult Colouring Books" and that`s been a bit of an eye opener)

Rinouchka Thu 23-Feb-17 13:28:42

Agree with you, vampirequeen. Well done, Smileless2012!

Iam64 Thu 23-Feb-17 13:15:28

Well said vampire queen. Roses, those crass adults you mention may also be parents, setting poor examples and as vampire points out, anything sexualised is inappropriate for children.

Jayh Thu 23-Feb-17 12:33:36

Let's hope the crass adults are not buying them to give to children. They are sweets after all.

rosesarered Thu 23-Feb-17 12:04:12

Ana what I want to know is.....how did you win a penis fridge magnet at the party,
I simply must know?grin
I have seen both penis and breast chocolates and lollies on sale at shops in Whiby, and no doubt all other places, innapropriate and tacky certainly, but can't imagine it's children who are buying them, just crass adults.

Jayh Thu 23-Feb-17 11:53:01

Well said, VQ. I agree entirely. There is a world of difference between children giggling at naughty bits and putting them in the position of potentially simulating a sex act with a penis lolly. Would anyone think it was ok to let their grandchildren eat one of these lollies?

norose4 Thu 23-Feb-17 11:42:07

Once again well done Smileless for persevering ,you have done all you can for now . Vampire queen, you phrased that so well. I can't understand how some gransnetters dont see the potential for children to be sexually exploited , the very thought of any young child been given one of theses lollies makes my blood boil !

vampirequeen Thu 23-Feb-17 11:33:41

Whilst I accept there are bigger issues in the world affecting children we can't ignore the small issues either. If we ignore small things they gradually become acceptable by default. So we accept children sucking sugar penis lollies. Then we accept that such children can be photographed sucking sugar penis lollies. These photos can then be circulated and 'enjoyed' by certain people. If it's OK to watch a child suck a sugar penis it's the thin edge of the wedge in accepting paedophilia. Imagine a situation where the sugar lolly is replaced by a realistic looking sugar penis. Would it still be OK for a child to suck it and be photographed sucking it? Anything sexual is inappropriate where children are concerned.

Azie09 Thu 23-Feb-17 11:00:32

Well done Smileless it's good to make a stand. I am still shocked at the image of a small girl sucking a penis shaped lolly! shock

Christinefrance Thu 23-Feb-17 10:32:52

I think the lollies are inappropriate too, saying that there are worse things around does not excuse such crassness. I also dislike the trend for dressing children as mini adults again with inappropriate styles and slogans. Children now often have a level of sexual awareness beyond their years. I know this sounds quite old fashioned but I think adulthood arrives quickly enough.

Smileless2012 Thu 23-Feb-17 10:30:11

Well I'm nothing if not persistent, I was hanging on the 'phone for almost 20 minutes before I got to speak to someone at Citizens Advice. I was put through by Trading Standards and was told by the very polite and helpful young lady from Citizens Advice who logged my complaint, that it would be passed to, yes you've guessed it, Trading Standardshmm.

I wont get any feed back as to whether they take any action but I'm satisfied I've done all that I can; for now. I'll go in the shop next time I'm passing to see if they're still on sale.

Luckygirl Thu 23-Feb-17 09:40:42

"the slogans on some little babies or toddlers t shirts to start with Baby and children's pageants which are hugely sexualising, music videos and words that even little kids use and see " - I do agree with that. These things encourage inappropriate behaviour, rather than just being a joke.

BlueBelle Thu 23-Feb-17 07:59:24

I think it's being seen from our adult eyes first I would imagine they are not intended for kids at all and it is inappropriate to have them where they can get them but having said that I doubt they will harm or sexualise either little boys or girls they will just see it as funny in fact hilarious to bite a body part, especially a willy.
They wouldn't inspire me to buy them nor the chocolate body parts you get nor the calendar my 13 y old granddaughter passed on to me as she didn't want it, her friend had brought it back from her holiday and was a calendar of 'willies,' I put it in the bin not because I was shocked but I thought it was a bit poorly made with very small spaces to write in and not worth keeping

I personally think there are much bigger things being sold to get worried about, the slogans on some little babies or toddlers t shirts to start with Baby and children's pageants which are hugely sexualising, music videos and words that even little kids use and see

Biting heads off naked (shock horror) jelly babies or sugar mice was one of my delights as a child but it's ok I didn't turn into a mass murderer

Starlady Thu 23-Feb-17 05:38:54

I suppose little kids don't get the sucking reference. They just think they are sucking a lollie like always. But older kids will get it. Maybe it is meant as a joke, but is that how we want them to think of it? I don't think so.

Starlady Thu 23-Feb-17 05:35:38

Nope, not unreasonable. The lollies are inappropriate if there is a chance that kids will even see them, imo. Could cause some awkward questions for parents, too.

merlotgran Wed 22-Feb-17 22:53:08

When little boys giggle over body parts and toilet humour, it's their jokes they love to share, their humour, their observations. They don't want adults muscling in on any of it.

They grow out of it in their own time. We indulge them because we know it's harmless and actually quite funny.

Nobody should attempt to cash in on that rite of passage.

Iam64 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:45:30

I suspect I could be seen as rather straight laced. I can laugh with others at bawdy pantomime type jokes, a which young children don't understand anyway. I agree with smileless, vampire and others in believing there isn't anything funny about the idea of a penis shaped lolly for children to suck on. I'd go further and wonder why anyone would want to buy something like that. Yes, I'm pompous and don't like the casual sexualisation so common in society.

M0nica Wed 22-Feb-17 22:33:01

Just because something is being done (sexuality being promoted) does not mean you have to agree with bit or accept it.

The place for lollies like these is in sex shops. The ramifications of these being for public sale in places where children go regularly are complex and far reaching.

annsixty Wed 22-Feb-17 21:03:23

You are certainly not being unreasonable. Sexuality is being promoted far too much these days. By all means let us educate our children at the appropriate time but it is far too early in my view and should be left to parents to judge and not shopkeepers

norose4 Wed 22-Feb-17 20:47:44

Good on you Smilless ,keeps us posted , I love the saying "'all it takes for evil to exist in the world is for a good man ( or woman of course!) to do nothing . In my book that makes you a (very)good woman ?