Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit is it final??

(145 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 26-Feb-17 15:16:13

Like almost 16,000,000 I voted Remain and do respect the result of the referendum. However the whole exercise was so flawed and the long term effects as yet unknown that I feel Parliament and may be the people should have another chance when the final terms are known. Tony Blair (whom I can never forgive for Iraq) spoke many truths about Brexit particularly one at all costs. The situation in Europe is changing and we may be better off out of it but only time will tell and when it does Parliament should be free to vote and perhaps call the whole thing off.

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 20:08:29

'Elderly' in the context of my post was someone well into his 90s Kim19 (well, nearer 100). I didn't ask him what or even if he voted.

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 20:07:03

Please don't label me a 'Bremoaner' because I'm not!

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 20:06:15

I only know one 'elderly' person and I didn't ask him what he voted.

It has been surprising to hear from so many 'younger' people that they voted Brexit.
They look at me as if I'm deluded because I voted to remain.

Kim19 Mon 27-Feb-17 20:01:30

Help please granh1...... what is the result statistic of 'elderly' votes versus 'the rest' in the brexit vote? I didn't see that breakdown. Also, what was the official definition of 'elderly' in selfsame breakdown? When I voted, this (presumably elderly) person took the consideration of my Cs and GCs futures on board and voted accordingly and only in my guess capacity as to how it might eventually pan out. Incidentally, I don't know ANY of my elderly friends who voted to leave. Most of them declared they were fine as they were and why rock the boat. Interested in some information from you here please.

POGS Mon 27-Feb-17 20:00:03

From the very first threads on the European Union Referendum and the 'oh so many' subsequent Brexit Threads posters have raised the subject of the EU Army and this has been ' refuted time and again'.

I believe there will be an EU Army! It may not be called ' The European Union Army' perhaps something like 'The Combined Forces of the European Union' or ' Operational Defence of The European Union '.

I have watched live coverage from the European Parliament and the subject of an EU Army has definitely been debated.

www.politico.eu/article/martin-schulz-hits-back-at-uk-over-eu-army-theresa-may-brexit/

"LONDON — Britain won’t have the power to veto an EU army either before or after Brexit, the president of the European Parliament said Friday during a speech in London.

The idea that the U.K. government could block such a vote was “counterproductive and anyway not possible in this case,” Martin Schulz said, hitting back at U.K. defense secretary Michael Fallon, who said London will resist any attempt to set up “a rival to NATO.

In the fields of security and defense policy, although the EU loses a key member state, paradoxically such a separation could give the necessary impulse for a closer integration of the remaining member states,” Schulz told an audience at the London School of Economics, adding that French and German proposals on security integration had been largely endorsed by the EU27 meeting in Bratislava last week, and were “a clear sign of things to come.”

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/european-parliament-nato-backs-plans-create-defence-union-a7432706.html

"The European Parliament has backed plans to create a defence union which will secure structured cooperation between nations as well as a new EU military operational headquarters.

Lawmakers at the European Parliament voted 369-255 in favour of the proposals, which also calls for greater spending by nations on defence.

Although the vote is not legally binding it does represent support for the proposition before the European Council meets in December to discuss Europe’s defence capabilities. "

Diddy1 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:47:58

Lets get Article 50 signed, then we can get on with it, knowing whats going to happen and when, until then its all speculation, and rumours, we cant back out now, we are the laughing stock of Europe now, dont let it get worse.
No more Brexit or Trump today please!

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 19:44:23

granh1 it certainly was not only 'elderly' people who voted Leave ( 2 of our children did for a start!) And I don't intend to be dead when Brexit is sorted out either, we are not that ancient at the moment.As to the unknown, carrying on in the EU wasn't very certain either for the future.

granh1 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:37:12

Elderly people put their cross in leave - and their voted swung the result. It must have been easy to do, they had no job to lose, safe with pensions, houses a bit of money, so they will be cushioned from the results of their decision. Most will be dead by the time Brexit is sorted, it certainly will take longer than we are told. It will be left for their children's generation to sort out and their grandchildren to inherit. I voted remain - Leave was an emotional vote for the unknown, I find it very depressing.

whitewave Mon 27-Feb-17 19:18:14

Yes I suppose I could. I'm not sure it's doomed to failure. I think it is working very well for the Tories, the state is getting smaller and smaller.

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 19:18:07

Rosina the French economy was not doing well but has picked up recently.
However, they have an election looming so what will happen then is anyone's guess.

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 19:17:56

I think you may well be right Jalima ( no EU in 20 Years time) and by then we will be doing nicely.smile and glad that we got out when we did.

railman Mon 27-Feb-17 19:15:27

Thanks whitewave, that's just what I was saying.

Mind you - maybe you could interchange the word 'philosophy' with 'ideology' or even 'policy'.

Either way, austerity is doomed to failure in its present guise.

railman Mon 27-Feb-17 19:13:39

Rosina you mentioned that the French economy was "in tatters".

I guess that's why Peugeot are buying General Motors plants like Vauxhall in the UK, and according to the CIA World Factbook, the UK is in 10th place, and France is 11th, with little to choose between the two.

This link to a table makes for an interesting read:
www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html#fr

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 19:11:14

There won't be an EU in 20 years' time.

There may be a slimmed down Trading Partnership of which we will be a founder member.

Ankers Mon 27-Feb-17 19:11:10

Except the EU was getting ready for a EU army and goodness knows what else. Endless.
And it had started to become far less peaceful.

By voting to come out, more chance of peace again in Europe, at least for a few more years.

whitewave Mon 27-Feb-17 19:10:15

railman austerity is a government philosophy.

railman Mon 27-Feb-17 19:08:49

radicalnan - in your comment you said: Last Christmas I had 15, mixed nationalities, that we great fun for 3 days.

Sounds like you had a great time - did you plan for the extra food, chairs, places to park for your guests, fresh towels, etc., etc.?

Just the sort of thing we all do - what a pity our Government did not do the same thing when they knew in advance what the likely immigrant numbers could be - so I guess they are either incompetent or it was deliberate underfunding.

The 'austerity' cuts which are now getting ever deeper are entirely down to mismanagement of the economy, lack of planning for what was known in advance. In short, UK Government incompetence.

For anyone interested in the financing of the UK, I would recommend a couple of good books:

a) The Joy of Tax - Richard J Murphy
b) Called to Account - Margaret Hodge.

Genuine eye openers

Of course, we could blame Brussels, where Farage and his ilk were fighting for the UK corner to help improve our relationship and get extra funding from across the EU.

Emelle19 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:06:22

We have had peace in Europe for more than 70 years - if that is not a good enough reason to Remain, then I don't know what is!!

whitewave Mon 27-Feb-17 18:56:55

Just watched John Major's speech. A good reasoned argument I thought.

Kim19 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:28:30

On reflection of some of the thoughts expressed here, I can see no good reason why those who have a mind to, should not start up a group for re-entry into the EU in 20 years time. By then we will have had a taste of what being 'outside' is like (assuming the EU still exists, of course) and will have a ready foot on the ladder for re-entry attempts. Why not........?

Ana Mon 27-Feb-17 17:59:30

It must be true - durhamjen says so...hmm

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 17:55:52

Hardly!

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 17:55:23

hmm

NfkDumpling Mon 27-Feb-17 17:40:19

Is that official DJ? That all the immigrants have been told to go back home?

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 17:23:16

So you like going there, but you don't want them coming here. However, that's not racist, is it not?

If all the immigrants go back home as they have been told to do, even the EU ones alone, there are not enough unemployed in this country to take their jobs, and certainly not enough in the right occupations.

You really need to be careful what you wish for.
Over a million jobs needing to be filled.