Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be furious with our surgery

(36 Posts)
cornergran Fri 05-May-17 12:37:28

I think I'm over reacting but right now I am mad enough for murder. Three weeks ago Mr C had an annual blood test to measure medication levels (he has been very unwell in the past when these have been out of the acceptable range) and check cholesterol. Told to phone in 10 days. 'Stuff' has been happening which has eaten all our time so finally phoned for the results today to be told he couldn't know the outcome as the doctor had not yet reviewed the results. OK, they surgery is busy, it's not the delay that has angered me so much as it is his blood, his levels and he knows what they should be. The nurse just had to read them out to him. If he was concerned he could then have requested a telephone consultation with his doctor. Mr C is a patient man and is unconcerned. I'm spitting feathers. What do you think? I wondered about a word with the practice manager when I calm down, but is that wise? Feel better for a rant anyway!

tanith Fri 05-May-17 12:46:57

Surely it would be a receptionist whom he spoke to not a nurse, maybe she would not realise that your husband would fully understand the numbers. I can understand your anger though as you are anxious.

Cold Fri 05-May-17 12:50:11

Can you not book a telephone consultation with the doctor to get the results? If it was the receptionist then they could not give medical information

cornergran Fri 05-May-17 13:07:51

Thank you for your thoughts. Calming down now! We get through to a nurse for test results, have to phone at a specific time. The idea being patients speak with someone who can answer their questions. It's a good system, usually. Wondering now whether to ask the doctor to add to Mr C's notes that it is OK to give him the results. Part of the frustration is that the 'stuff happening' is not only stressful but absorbing a lot of time. The first time we can speak to them again at the 'correct' time is next Thursday. Oh well, off to breathe deeply.

Anya Fri 05-May-17 13:33:13

Ridiculous.

This is unacceptable. My dog had a blood test taken at the vet's (obviously) in the morning and the results were phoned in to me, by the vet, at teatime. This was a full blood analyses for kidney function, liven, thyroid, blood glucose....and other things I can't remember. This for a dog (albeit a very important dog).

Sheer inefficiency. Complain.

Gymstagran Fri 05-May-17 13:42:25

No good for now but sounds like you should sign up to have access to your medical records. I had access to blood test results within days without having to ring anyone

MawBroon Fri 05-May-17 13:45:43

Oh how I sympathise!
The difference though with the treatment our pets get at the vet's is that that is private medicine.
I am no advocate of private medical care, but Grace can be seen the same day, results can be accessed over the phone (often also the same day) plus vets deal with many more varied shapes, sizes and species than doctors! grin
Oh and the receptionists treat you like a friend, recognise the "patient" or ask after her and are always accessible. sad

Anya Fri 05-May-17 14:18:08

I'm coming back as a dog MawBroon ?????

Kittye Fri 05-May-17 14:21:03

MawBroon you've said it all! Dread going to my GP surgery, when I can eventually get an appointment that is ( usually after 2or 3 week wait) makes me feel ill thinking about it ☹️

annodomini Fri 05-May-17 14:43:31

Our practice asks us to phone for results after 3pm which I usually forget to do until a week later. Results of the tests I normally have are back the next day. I'm fairly certain that I get through to one of the 'backroom' staff (secretaries) who are authorised to give me the results.Had a blood test today, come to think of it. grin

SueDonim Fri 05-May-17 14:45:06

There's probably a blanket policy of issuing (or not!) of results because they need to be interpreted properly and in the case of bad news, handled tactfully.

I think to be furious and want to do murder is a bit of an overreaction! I hope you get the results soon.

Pittcity Fri 05-May-17 16:05:43

I get my regular blood test results online and can view the doctor's recommendations long before I can get a phone appointment to speak to somebody.They even have links to explain the results. My prescription is updated immediately online too.

Kittye Fri 05-May-17 16:11:16

Anya that's what I was thinking!? Lol

thatbags Fri 05-May-17 17:01:19

We usually get an appointment (phone or visit to surgery) the same day even if it's not urgent. Never had a problem with receptionists or nurses; everyone seems to be well trained and trying to be helpful. Seems we are lucky out in the depths of Argyll or perhaps that in too many places GP surgeries are overstretched and overstressed.

Luckygirl Fri 05-May-17 18:58:31

I have some sympathy with this - I have had two chest x-rays and then had a phone call from the surgery receptionist to say that the GP had asked her to ring me to book an hour's appointment with the practice nurse to have some respiratory tests. When i asked why she said that the x-rays showed that I might have some breathing problems.

I have absolutely no idea what the x-ray findings are that indicate the need for these tests - all I know is that both x-rays had the same result. The appointment to have the tests is on Thursday week.

I can access my record online, but it only gives a summary of diagnoses at each consultation. It does not give test results. I have decided to just go with the flow and keep on coughing!

cornergran Fri 05-May-17 19:24:06

I'm envious of those people who can access records on line. We can see what vaccinations we have had, nothing else. It would be so much easier. When life is calmer I will have a chat with the practice manager and get her to explain systems, understanding will help. luckygirl, get ye to the practice nurse, you've been coughing too long. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I so miss the level of support from the surgery at our previous home for many reasons. I do get cross with this one because I know their systems could be, should be, better.

vampirequeen Fri 05-May-17 19:45:18

The receptionist isn't qualified to give the results. She can only relay information that has been given to her by the doctor to pass on to the patient. If the doctor hasn't looked at the results there is nothing she can do. There is not point in being angry with her. She can't do more than she's qualified to do.

Luckygirl Fri 05-May-17 19:48:44

Not angry with her. She is just parroting what she has been told to say. But it does not take a crystal ball to realise that I might like to know what the x-ray showed and I think that, seeing as it is abnormal, the GP should have conveyed those results to me.

Deedaa Fri 05-May-17 21:50:33

I was annoyed when one of our GPs (who had never met DH before) visited DH and ordered blood tests. When I rang the surgery for the results I was told that they hadn't changed much and he had forwarded them to the consultant. I had been hoping for a phone call at least to discuss what else might be wrong but we ended up with three more visits from assorted GPs before he was admitted to hospital. A lot of time and money wasted by the surgery I would have thought.
To be fair I did have a phone call this morning from DH's own GP asking how he is and if there's anything he can do to help.

Hopehope Fri 05-May-17 23:48:46

Cornergran I would be spitting feathers too, and want to pull out my hair and kill everyone, not particularly in that order grin

You two sound just like us as a couple. I go bananas, and he is cool calm and collected :-)

I hope it is soon sorted for you
oh and just in case I get arrested I dont really kill anyone, just bang a few pots, clean some cupboards out and think evil thoughts

cornergran Sat 06-May-17 00:04:53

hopehope, indeed. Just a turn of phrase. At least the cupboards get sorted grin.

Crafting Sat 06-May-17 00:11:24

cornergran results usually go to the GP for 'comment' which the receptionist or secretary can relay to the patient. Comments usually include things like 'the result is normal', 'no action required', 'ask patient to phone to discuss' etc. If the GP hasn't commented on the results then the receptionist can't tell you what they are.

Normally blood test results come back quite quickly, one or two days. The fact that you were asked to phone back after 10 days probably means that they are tests that are a bit more complicate than a straight forward one. If there is anything seriously wrong it is usual for the hospital to fax or phone the results through to the GP who would then make it a priority to contact the patient.

Sorry lengthily explanation. Hope you get good news of results soon.

travelsafar Sat 06-May-17 08:25:34

If our surgery has your mobile number they will send a text asking you to ring for a telephone consultation for your results.

Mind you getting a telephone consultation can take up to a week as the surgery is always so busy.

You know something is wrong otherwise you wouldnt get a text and if you rang to find out results they would say all ok.

gillybob Sat 06-May-17 08:31:28

It's amazing how quick things can get turned around when you are paying though Anya . I bet if the blood tests were done privately (for a hefty fee) then the results would have been back very quickly. I am having bloods done this next week but will almost certainly wait at least a week for someone to bother looking at the results.

Anya Sat 06-May-17 08:59:49

Gilly the blood tests were £58? or thereabouts.

Compare the scenario with Cornegran's ..

Rang for appointment mid morning, phone answered straight away, asked when was best, which practictioner we'd prefer to see. Arrived, plenty of parking, good thorough examination, discussion, bloods taken, medication given there and then.
Phone call with blood results at teatime,

Cost £125. What would the cost privately for humans be, can anyone tell me and how quickly would results be back then. I'd be interested to know if anyone has had something similar privately.