Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be furious with our surgery

(36 Posts)
SueDonim Fri 05-May-17 14:45:06

There's probably a blanket policy of issuing (or not!) of results because they need to be interpreted properly and in the case of bad news, handled tactfully.

I think to be furious and want to do murder is a bit of an overreaction! I hope you get the results soon.

annodomini Fri 05-May-17 14:43:31

Our practice asks us to phone for results after 3pm which I usually forget to do until a week later. Results of the tests I normally have are back the next day. I'm fairly certain that I get through to one of the 'backroom' staff (secretaries) who are authorised to give me the results.Had a blood test today, come to think of it. grin

Kittye Fri 05-May-17 14:21:03

MawBroon you've said it all! Dread going to my GP surgery, when I can eventually get an appointment that is ( usually after 2or 3 week wait) makes me feel ill thinking about it ☹️

Anya Fri 05-May-17 14:18:08

I'm coming back as a dog MawBroon ?????

MawBroon Fri 05-May-17 13:45:43

Oh how I sympathise!
The difference though with the treatment our pets get at the vet's is that that is private medicine.
I am no advocate of private medical care, but Grace can be seen the same day, results can be accessed over the phone (often also the same day) plus vets deal with many more varied shapes, sizes and species than doctors! grin
Oh and the receptionists treat you like a friend, recognise the "patient" or ask after her and are always accessible. sad

Gymstagran Fri 05-May-17 13:42:25

No good for now but sounds like you should sign up to have access to your medical records. I had access to blood test results within days without having to ring anyone

Anya Fri 05-May-17 13:33:13

Ridiculous.

This is unacceptable. My dog had a blood test taken at the vet's (obviously) in the morning and the results were phoned in to me, by the vet, at teatime. This was a full blood analyses for kidney function, liven, thyroid, blood glucose....and other things I can't remember. This for a dog (albeit a very important dog).

Sheer inefficiency. Complain.

cornergran Fri 05-May-17 13:07:51

Thank you for your thoughts. Calming down now! We get through to a nurse for test results, have to phone at a specific time. The idea being patients speak with someone who can answer their questions. It's a good system, usually. Wondering now whether to ask the doctor to add to Mr C's notes that it is OK to give him the results. Part of the frustration is that the 'stuff happening' is not only stressful but absorbing a lot of time. The first time we can speak to them again at the 'correct' time is next Thursday. Oh well, off to breathe deeply.

Cold Fri 05-May-17 12:50:11

Can you not book a telephone consultation with the doctor to get the results? If it was the receptionist then they could not give medical information

tanith Fri 05-May-17 12:46:57

Surely it would be a receptionist whom he spoke to not a nurse, maybe she would not realise that your husband would fully understand the numbers. I can understand your anger though as you are anxious.

cornergran Fri 05-May-17 12:37:28

I think I'm over reacting but right now I am mad enough for murder. Three weeks ago Mr C had an annual blood test to measure medication levels (he has been very unwell in the past when these have been out of the acceptable range) and check cholesterol. Told to phone in 10 days. 'Stuff' has been happening which has eaten all our time so finally phoned for the results today to be told he couldn't know the outcome as the doctor had not yet reviewed the results. OK, they surgery is busy, it's not the delay that has angered me so much as it is his blood, his levels and he knows what they should be. The nurse just had to read them out to him. If he was concerned he could then have requested a telephone consultation with his doctor. Mr C is a patient man and is unconcerned. I'm spitting feathers. What do you think? I wondered about a word with the practice manager when I calm down, but is that wise? Feel better for a rant anyway!