Gransnet forums

AIBU

In wanting to change his name?

(38 Posts)
phoenix Sun 11-Jun-17 17:47:56

Afternoon all, hope all is well, and if not, sending every good wish.

I am considering changing Mr P's name to "Mutley".

Does anyone remember watching the cartoon series (with or without their children) called Wacky Races?

One of the principal characters was Dick Dastardly, with his dog, Mutley. Often, when they got into a scrape, Dick would cry "Mutley, do something!"

Well, a few minutes ago I was attempting to put a recipe book back on the shelf in the kitchen. I am not very tall. I was sort of reaching over Mutley Mr P, who was sitting at the table.

The edge of my shirt caught the rim of his (full) wine glass, which promptly toppled over, spilling it's contents all over the kitchen table, which at the time was home to my Kindle, a half finished Daily Telegraph general knowledge crossword, and Digby blush who I know shouldn't have been on the table.

So, what did Mr P do?

He stood up.

That's it, he didn't reach for a tea towel or some kitchen roll, he didn't grab the Kindle, he didn't even attempt to catch the glass! He just bloody stood up!

Even Digbys reaction was a bit more noteworthy, ok he didn't dash across the kitchen to get a tea towel, but he did at least dash across the kitchen.

So, I set to with a cloth, mopped up, then went to hand a sponge to himself to wipe down the table to make sure it wasn't left all sticky, only to find that his main concern was replenishing his glass. shock

To add insult to injury, he didn't top mine up!

Bellanonna Sun 11-Jun-17 17:58:11

The clue lies in the title : "his"

NfkDumpling Sun 11-Jun-17 18:22:39

He just stood up? No expletives? Even though it was his wine? You're blessed!

Christinefrance Sun 11-Jun-17 18:22:54

Well it is important to have a glass of wine to hand, think he should be severely reprimanded for not refilling your glass grin

Norah Sun 11-Jun-17 18:26:46

Changing his name seems reasonable. Buy stemless wine glasses.

Ana Sun 11-Jun-17 18:36:54

Didn't Mutley have that horrible wheezy laugh? Or was that another cartoon character?

merlotgran Sun 11-Jun-17 18:42:26

Ha Ha, Nfk. That's exactly what I thought. grin

Nothing worse than being responsible for the spilling of a glass of wine....Oh the shame, Oh the waste.

phoenix Sun 11-Jun-17 19:03:27

grin Perhaps my expectations are wrong? I really, truly did expect some sort of attempt (however feeble and ineffective) at mopping!

phoenix Sun 11-Jun-17 19:09:11

PS He knows I struggle to reach that shelf, in fact if he had done the decent thing, as in "darling, let me put that book on the shelf for you, save you having to practically scramble over me, and risking the possibility of a knee in the testicles" the wine would have been saved, and Digby might have not suffered the trauma of such a rude and damp awakening!

Auntieflo Sun 11-Jun-17 19:23:05

Evening Phoenix and all. My morning wasn't nearly as awful as yours, but not good. I was on coffee duty after Church, and one of the big flasks decided to splutter all over me and my new top and trousers. I had only worn the top for the first time today. Luckily I managed to get most of the stain mopped up, but I had soggy underwear and boob. After putting them through a quick wash, all is well. I hope you also had a large glass of wine or three, and Mutley cooked lunch. Some hopes eh?

merlotgran Sun 11-Jun-17 19:25:52

You put your boob through a quick wash, Auntieflo? shock

Deedaa Sun 11-Jun-17 21:09:45

I hope Digby has recovered from the trauma smile

phoenix Sun 11-Jun-17 21:31:00

Deedaa thank you for you concern for Digby, topping up his biscuit bowl seemed to restore his equilibrium grin.

Auntieflo lunch was practically done, but himself did dish up!

Auntieflo Sun 11-Jun-17 22:16:42

Soapy flannel did the boob job Merlotgran.
Phoenix, at least Mutley half?? redeemed himself, but, did he wash up and get you an after dinner coffee?

mumofmadboys Sun 11-Jun-17 22:23:59

Perhaps use tumblers for your wine?

phoenix Sun 11-Jun-17 22:42:44

It wasn't the spillage that was the main problem (although as it was a rather good Sauvignon Blanc I did have to fight the urge to suck the dampened cross wordwink) it was more his complete lack of attempting to take any remedial action, I.e. grab a cloth and mop up!

Jalima1108 Sun 11-Jun-17 22:57:01

You were lucky it wasn't a Shiraz or Merlot!

All over a new carpet.

Pippa000 Mon 12-Jun-17 08:36:50

Men do have a different brain, obviously his wine is very important, yours not so much. Glad Digby didn't suffer too much trauma. He 'indoors' will chatter about nothing while I am typing, as he is doing just now, but woe betide me if I chatter while he is concentrating. Mutley is a nothing to what I would like to call mine!!!!!

moobox Mon 12-Jun-17 09:37:56

Mine would have taken action. He would have tut tutted, and said I am such a worry because I keep doing things like that before reaching really old age. He would definitely state the bl obvious i.e. that I need to get a cloth quickly

Craftycat Mon 12-Jun-17 10:17:34

I'm with moobox. Mine would have said how clumsy I was & then exited the room to give me more room to clear up. I would then get a lecture when he felt the room was sorted on how I must be getting old as I am always knocking things over, repeating myself etc. ( I'm not & I don't unless he has his flaming ear buds in listening to music!)
Miserable git is what I call mine ( I do love him really!)

I'm more concerned about poor Digby.All mine would need a lot more than biscuits topped up to get over the trauma. At least a tin of salmon opened!!

Diddy1 Mon 12-Jun-17 10:30:35

You are all wonderful, I have laughed so much at the comments today. Mine would react like most of the DH here!
He could at least topped your glass up!

cornergran Mon 12-Jun-17 11:35:49

I can see it now, phoenix. Mine? Well, he would have jumped up, knocked over anything still standing including me in his rush for the - wrong - cloth. Spun round looking for the right one to see me clearing up the mess. He would then have refilled his wine before taking his glass elsewhere saying he was pleased all was now well (!) but he would sit somewhere quieter. There would have been a certain level of frostiness when I discovered the wine bottle was now empty. Poor Digby, pleased he escaped relatively unharmed and is showing no symptoms of ptsd smile.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Jun-17 12:04:29

Well, I think your DH shows great forbearance and fortitude in the face of adversity phoenix grin

Spilling good wine indeed (not even your own!)
And he said nothing shock
Mine would have commented on how clever I was to have done that - and observed that at least it was my Kindle not his.

Salt in a wound.

Musicelf Mon 12-Jun-17 12:28:39

Mine would have told me to sit down before I did any more damage and would have fetched a cloth himself. Sorry ladies, I'm being very smug, but it's taken three husbands to get this!

(Oh, and by the way, while I was on a visit to stay with my daughter, he sent me a text to say he's booked a cruise for my birthday later in the year.)

Don't you just hate smug women like me?!grin

Nanna58 Mon 12-Jun-17 12:46:59

I don't agree Musicelf, I think the horror of three husbands far outweighs that of spilt wine!