Gransnet forums

AIBU

... to not want to floss in the lounge?!

(68 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 06-Jul-17 10:18:17

The last time I went for a "scale and polish" (6 months ago) - the dental hygienist at the practice gave me a lecture instructed me to buy a rainbow range of colours of those interdental brushes, and drew a diagram of what colour to use on which expensive food traps made by previous dentists gaps between my teeth - and when I protested saying I'll never remember that nor keep that up she replied Oh, it's not a big deal, you can do it in front of the TV at night to which I responded I don't think my husband would be impressed.

So all that she achieved is to have put me off going back to her. But I like the dentist! What do do. I hasten to add that my teeth are very clean and well looked after! I was brought up to look after my teeth and my feet "because you'll need them most when you're old" grin

Surely a professional shouldn't be advising people to floss in the lounge?! shock

NanaRayna Sun 09-Jul-17 11:06:49

That was meant for devongirl

NanaRayna Sun 09-Jul-17 11:06:05

Just hope the phone doesn't ring while you're thus occupied!wink

CassieJ Sun 09-Jul-17 10:59:02

I use WaterPik water flosser. This tends to get the best reviews. It's rechargeable, so saves on batteries. It holds it's charge for over a week.

devongirl Sun 09-Jul-17 10:07:29

Just googled it. A bit concerned I might not enjoy srirling oil around my mouth for 20 mins! but will give it a go anyway smile

Disgruntled Sun 09-Jul-17 10:03:53

It is BRILLIANT. I always do something else while I'm doing it - emails, usually, so I don't think about it, and I clean my teeth as usual afterwards. Been a saving grace for me. I used to dread going to the dentist but now I feel quite blase about it. It's an ancient Ayurvedic practice.

devongirl Sun 09-Jul-17 09:55:32

That's interesting disgruntled - never heard of it - sounds worth a try smile

Disgruntled Sun 09-Jul-17 09:45:30

I use coconut oil or olive oil for oil pulling. It's brilliant. You swish some around until it changes consistency then spit it into a bin (or bowl or something, just not down the drains). It collects the bacteria and gets rid of it. My dentist commented when I first started. Before that I used to have dreaded gum pockets - yeuk.

jangeo44 Sun 09-Jul-17 09:42:50

I use Sonicare flosser, but put mouthwash in instead of plain water - I read this in an article written by a dentist so have followed suit. Also use oral b flossing rape which has a fine plastic end which is designed to clean under and between bridge.

Aepgirl Sun 09-Jul-17 09:34:52

I got so sick of the lectures from my hygienist that I said to her 'if everybody used brushes/floss/and other such expensive bits and bobs, she would be out of a job'. It seems to have done the trick as she just gets on and cleans my, already spotless, teeth now.

NfkDumpling Sun 09-Jul-17 09:32:09

Never having heard of water flossers I just Googled it and Oral Irrigators came up! Should one use ones oral irrigator in ones lounge?

Elrel Sun 09-Jul-17 09:21:56

I lost faith in my dental practice when they started offering Botox. Twice 'their computer' sent mailings about it to GD aged 15.
I felt belittled by their bright young hygienist who, asked what I should use for a stained dental plate, raised her eyebrows and said 'Have you ever heard of Steradent?' Cheeky madam, the plate had been soaked nightly in water with 2 tablets added and still showed red wine/coffee stains.
Although I have a grand total of 13 teeth they managed to sell me 2 sizes of tepees.

jacalpad Sun 09-Jul-17 09:20:36

I have never heard of water flossers! Could they be used by someone with sensitive teeth?

1moleta3 Sun 09-Jul-17 09:18:16

Although, luckily, I still possess all my teeth, I regularly use a steradent type tablet for a weekly soak of toothbrushes and interdental brushes ( if they have not become too kinked and still serviceable) then pour off the liquid down the loo to work its magic there overnight. I do rinse off the brushes!

Genevieve489 Sun 09-Jul-17 08:51:29

Interested in people's views of water flossers. I've just changed dentists and the first thing he said was I had 'mild gum disease'! This is something I've struggled with for years and I floss every day using both brushes and floss picks. May I ask what brand of water or air flosser others have found useful?

devongirl Sat 08-Jul-17 18:49:47

I used to regularly put tooth brushing stuff in the dishwasher when I had one (sigh - those were the days!)

whitewave Sat 08-Jul-17 17:50:57

devon I use every gadget known to man as well as mouth wash that blows the top,of my head off on a regular basis grin

I use baby steriliser liquid to clean all my brushes.

RockNanny Sat 08-Jul-17 17:48:29

Jalima1108 Hahahaha!

Ph-tooo PING!

grin

Ana Sat 08-Jul-17 17:35:09

To be fair, they can get rid of tiny particles of food your toothbrush (whether electric or not) may have missed.

I do use one most nights, but am not obsessive about it.

Grannyknot Sat 08-Jul-17 17:22:19

baggs that was me (nothing wrong with my gum health and never has been) until the flipping hygienist started on about the interdental brushes! Made me doubt my gums. grin

Honestly, there was a different colour brush for every tooth gap. Anyway no matter how wonderful something is at doing its job, it ain't gonna work unless it's also practical.

I'm pleased I started this thread, because now I will make an appointment with the dentist and be a lot more assertive about resisting the interdental brush lecture.

Baggs Sat 08-Jul-17 16:37:45

"Improve your gum health with air flosser" (ad). And if there's nothing wrong with one's gum health and there never has been...?

mrsjones Sat 08-Jul-17 16:22:47

I use the Philips Sonicare Air Flosser everyday (in the bathroom). It's better than messing around with those brushes or floss/tape and does a great job.

BlueBelle Sat 08-Jul-17 13:31:37

Shysal I use mine to within an inch of their life you're not alone

Lupatria Sat 08-Jul-17 13:29:55

my dentist kept on about flossing and using those little brushes - i told him that i didn't think it did any good.
he recommended a visit to the hygienist and i told him i couldn't afford it.
hope they put it on my records as i've got a new dentist next visit and i expect they'll start all over again with the lecture. not that i'll take any notice. i don't floss!!!

devongirl Sat 08-Jul-17 11:29:09

I do!! feels like a waste but somehow just rinsing them feels unhygienic!!

shysal Sat 08-Jul-17 11:27:02

These brushes are the latest 'lecture' subject from my dentist, there is always something to nag me about although I haven't needed any dental treatment for many years. He recommends the Wisdom brand of brush, and I have to agree that I find them the best. Like you, Jalima, I can't get them between all my teeth, especially where I have a bridge.
I clean and re-use mine many times until they get too bendy, does anyone throw them out after each use? Seems such a waste!