Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think my daughter shouldn't do this?

(182 Posts)
mcem Thu 24-Aug-17 18:08:28

On the other hand he is an adult and has no right to dictate to his mother. Will he still 'forbid' new relationships when he's 30? or indefinitely?
As a young woman she should not accept that she must spend the rest of her life on her own if she doesn't choose to.
Neither do I believe you have the right to dictate to her from your angry stance.
This situation needs reason and compromise - not ultimatums from you or from DGS.

DanniRae Thu 24-Aug-17 18:07:13

I agree with grumppa - Sorry!

Ana Thu 24-Aug-17 18:07:11

I'd be more inclined to be angry with your 22 year old grandson. Shouldn't he be getting his own life together instead of begrudging his mother a chance of future happiness?

suzied Thu 24-Aug-17 18:06:09

I assume the 22 yo will move out anyway in the not too distant future, he shouldn't stand in the way of his mothers happiness. He's old enough to stand on his own two feet if that what he wants.

Eglantine19 Thu 24-Aug-17 18:05:54

I agree. It's your grandson who is causing the rift, not your daughter. Five years seems a more than reasonable time to wait. Isn't it about time he moved out and got a life of his own?

grumppa Thu 24-Aug-17 18:02:53

I think it's eldest DS who is being unreasonable.

NannyOne Thu 24-Aug-17 18:00:50

My daughter has been a single parent since her H left eight years ago (following his affair). She has done really well bringing up three youngsters who are now 22, 19 and 16 as well as working and studying in a professional job. Five years ago she began a relationship with a nice man (her only one since the divorce) and has enjoyed his company, going on holiday and staying at his house whilst I've looked after the children. She's now decided that she'd like her boyfriend to move in to her house with her and the children. However her eldest DS (22) won't have anything to do with the partner, will not even speak to him and has been like this for the whole five years. He seems to think his mother should not have another relationship ever. He says he will move out if her partner moves in. I'm so angry my daughter will do this and cause a rift in the family. I don't know what to say to her.