Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbours' fence panel down

(64 Posts)
harrysgran Sat 16-Sep-17 09:37:56

I would try and get someone to put a fence panel on your side maybe if you approached the landlord and said you are willing to pay for the materials if they provide the labour failing all else throw the dog poo back where it belongs (that was a joke)

Jaycee5 Sat 16-Sep-17 09:32:14

It's a civil matter and the letting agents are just trying to deflect their responsibility. With the number of police cuts they don't even always come out if there is a crime.
As others have said, just block it from your side. It sounds like the less contact you have with your neighbours the better.
Hopefully what you have ordered will work and you can just forget about it.

Marieeliz Sat 16-Sep-17 09:21:22

How awkward. I have a new neighbour, she has a dog. Poor thing never goes out. My fence is quite high and I cannot see whether she picks dog poo up or not. I have a dog also who I walk three times a day.

I understand she is in full time work but is off sick at the moment so what happens then, to the poor dog, I do not know. It has been left out in the back in rain and although it barks when she leaves I feel sorry for it.

The previous tenants who I posted problems with a couple of years ago re trying to block rear access. Have done a house swop with her and they are now knocking a much larger house into shape. These are both Housing Trust properties. Housing Trusts don't seem to care what people do either. Swopping into houses much too big for their needs and there is supposed to be a shortage.

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 19:51:10

Unless, the onus is on the other side, in which case it's up to the house with the dog to erect the new fence panel.
If you stand in your back garden, the left side is usually your responsibility.
Ask your landlord if not sure about it.
Then buy a huge Alsation.

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 19:47:47

It is.

silverlining48 Fri 15-Sep-17 19:09:01

If its a rented house then surely its the landlords responsibility. ?

Smurf52 Fri 15-Sep-17 18:41:56

Thanks shysal I've ordered the reed screening from Wickes and will give it a go.

Nelliemoser Fri 15-Sep-17 18:38:19

wire mesh fencing?
www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Coated-Fencing-Garden-Galvanised/dp/B00XQ11BV2/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_86_tr_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BYZ5QDNN8P8JDK9SFEEX&tag=gransnetforum-21

You would need some stakes but its cheaper than a slot in fence panel

Anya Fri 15-Sep-17 16:30:21

I agree with Shysal - simply erect a barrier on your side over the gap. Alternatively dig a ditch and line it with lime and/or landmines and stand well clear ?☠️⚡️

devongirl Fri 15-Sep-17 16:05:37

Is it worth knocking on their door to ask about putting up your own fence?

shysal Fri 15-Sep-17 15:11:10

I think if it was me I would cover the gap with something like this.
reed garden screening
You have tried contacting them so doubt they would object. They can be attached with just a couple of staples to your side of the existing posts, easily removed if they want to replace the panel.

starbird Fri 15-Sep-17 15:05:59

It's possible that they don't have the money to do it, or the skills to do it themselves - it is not always easy to find someone to do a small job like that, let alone one who would do it well. Do you have a son, grandson or friend who could do it? If so I would knock on their door early one evening and say my .... has offered to fix the fence is that OK with you? You could mention that you are thinking of getting a (big) dog and are worried that it will go into their garden. It would be a good way to make a friendly start even if you never see them again.

cornergran Fri 15-Sep-17 14:53:37

I can understand you desire not to annoy new neighbours but no, you aren't being unreasonable. If the fence definite,y belongs to your neighbour and the agent isn't just wriggling out of a repair I agree, the police seems heavy handed and I'm not sure they would respond. There could be all sorts of other official channels and if so I am sure someone will be along to exp,aim. I'm wondering if there is there any way you, or someone on your behalf, could fix something stronger and more permanent on your side of the fence. Should be possible, even if you need to put in two fence posts in your garden to do it. It is a shame when you like the house and had hoped to stay for a long while. Neighbours can never be predicted sadly. I think I am a little worried for you As they don't sound the most friendly. Have you ever chatted with them? I hope it all works out for you and someone else can be more helpful.

Smurf52 Fri 15-Sep-17 14:41:22

I've just moved into a rented house and was hoping this would be my forever home (well, until my money runs out that is). Then I noticed dog poo in my garden. Looking behind my shrubs I notice the fence panel (the letting agent has said it's the neighbours fence) has disintegrated and collapsed on their side and their dog is getting into my garden. Every day the dog has done their business on my side.

The letting agent says to contact police which I don't really want to do as when I first moved in there were Macdonalds wrappers etc hurled over on to my side and I dread to think what would happen if I get on the wrong side of them.

I have dropped a note into their letterbox offering to put up a panel at my expense and giving my phone number but they don't seem that bothered as they've not got back to me. The agent says next door is privately owned so there is not a landlord/letting agency I can contact.

AIBU in wanting to get this sorted out? For now I have put folded flat removal boxes alongside and by the sound of the yapping it's a small dog so hopefully it won't vault over. I am not anti dog, in fact I am hoping to get a dog once I am settled in, hence wanting to get the fence sorted....