Gransnet forums

AIBU

Coast or Country and the like, why................

(60 Posts)
Kateykrunch Tue 26-Sep-17 09:52:15

do they never just have around £200,000 to spend, it would be a programme that would cater for many more people. Todays programme, they have £900,000!

alchemilla Thu 05-Oct-17 13:53:23

I think the PP who suggested a "back to the city" programme has it spot on. If only because I'm thinking of doing it ....

And hurrah for a programme revisiting those Grand Designs/out to the country decisions. They do go back, but usually because time ran out on the initial filming and it's the last gasp for getting back all the investment in that particular Grand Design.

I'd also watch a programme about finding a rental/house on a limited income.

merlotgran Fri 29-Sep-17 16:45:01

I'd love to have a peep at the presenters' houses. We've had a brief glimpse of Jules' home in Countryfile and he often says how much he likes a house that's on offer.

What about Nicky and Alistair though?

Nicky rides and Alistar is musical.......hmm.

Menopaws Fri 29-Sep-17 14:31:27

Easy watching and love looking at others houses and thinking what I would do with it, also watching the dynamic between couples is hilarious

Craicon Fri 29-Sep-17 13:54:03

I knew someone who appeared on the moving to the country show. She wasn't remotely interested in moving to the country at all as she likes city life but just wanted an opportunity to leave her books on display and brag that's she's an 'author'. She's desperately trying to join the 50 shades bandwagon but the books are trash novels and all self published online.

Mapleleaf Fri 29-Sep-17 11:06:35

I sometimes wonder if some of the people ever really intend buying? I know some do, but more of them, we are told, have decided to keep looking or change to a different area altogether - are they really?

Witzend Fri 29-Sep-17 10:28:20

I often think these people are just desperate to be on telly and brag to everybody watching how much they've got to spend, and how fussy/demanding they are.
A bit pathetic, really. Well, more than a bit!

Mapleleaf Fri 29-Sep-17 10:06:36

I'm quite addicted to these sorts of programmes. A bit voyeuristic, I suppose, but also good to watch for a laugh.
As many of you say, where do these people find the money? Also, when a property 40 or 50 thousand over their top budget doesn't seem to matter!!?
People with no experience of animal husbandry suddenly want a menagerie, or no business experience but want to run a B & B or keep yurts.
The properties with many rooms, bathrooms & high ceilings - who cleans them?
Being in the middle of no where when you're older and likely to need health care services at some point, or shops etc, how practical is it to be in the middle of nowhere?
How many bathrooms does one really need? How often are friends and family going to come to necessitate a huge house?
What about its upkeep & associated costs.
I suppose these practicalities don't make for interesting viewing!
Oh, and if I hear "wow factor" one more time...., or a comment that a kitchen the size of all my downstairs footprint put together is a "bit small" I think I'll scream. On second thoughts, no I won't, I'll just continue laughing?

Jane10 Thu 28-Sep-17 21:16:42

Think about all the people whose houses feature on these programmes. How hurt they must feel to hear their lovely homes being dismissed as too small or inconvenient layout. Embarrassing to hear Phil saying upgrading required - maybe they think it's lovely.

muddynails Thu 28-Sep-17 19:50:51

As for what people want in a house, surely its a case of
"different strokes for different folks" likewise for how much they have to spend.
In answer to why they go onto t.v, it isn't easy looking
for a property 200 or 300 miles away from where you live,
I wish we had the nerve to go onto t.v but suffered several
years tooing and froing from where we lived to where we
wanted to go, google maps made it a lot easier as to the
surroundings but you still need to view the properties and
if you have looked for a property you will know photographs and estate agent speak aren't always what they seem.

floorflock Thu 28-Sep-17 07:01:42

A witches coven, how interesting. Where do you live....

MesMopTop Wed 27-Sep-17 23:56:14

Couldn't agree more Maddyone. I used to breed and show chickens, you couldn't leave them for one day! Not to mention the care they need. Gleaning coups and making sure they remain bug free is an absolute joy. When your ride on mower breaks down and you're waiting for a part, that grass grows an inch a fay, I'm sure of it. The animals need feeding, cleaning and both smells and antics, well they can have there moments. I would be one of those people that wanted land to keep my animals (love it and fobt mind the work). Only thing is, I'd be looking for only two bedrooms at most. If I moved that far from the rellies and friends to get away from you all then what makes you think I'll have you buggers come stay with me??? Only joking, I have lovely family and friends that would be welcome any time. Many handsake light work. However, maybe they might not want to come stay with ME ?

FarNorth Wed 27-Sep-17 22:36:42

Deedaa, maybe they couldn't be bothered to trawl through a lot of adverts and decided to just make their choice from the 3 provided.

A bit like those people on "The Crowd" who got a crowd of people to make an important life decision for them. smile

PamelaJ1 Wed 27-Sep-17 21:55:50

No one has mentioned llamas.
The animal of choice for townies who haven't a clue about animals to put on their 5acres.

Deedaa Wed 27-Sep-17 21:35:22

I got a shock recently when a couple on Escape to the Country, who were looking for a house to retire to, not only liked all the houses they were shown but went straight back and bought their favourite one. That must be a first.

Maggieanne Wed 27-Sep-17 20:32:35

We have a small semi, in an area close to shops, hospitals, doctors, dentists, libraries and reasonable transport. We could buy a much nicer property....in the middle of nowhere, but really, at our age? Friends bought and did up a cottage, and boy,did they work on it and when it was finished he was diagnosed with cancer. If they had moved to the cottage they would have been miles from anywhere, including hospitals. They stayed in their more than adequate house. He recovered I'm glad to say, unfortunately she's got the bug and is still looking for another property.

merlotgran Wed 27-Sep-17 20:22:20

While I was gardening today some distant sirens cut through the silence (apart from birdsong) so I looked across the fields towards the main road to see what was going on. We get quite a few 'stop what you're doing' moments round here - including HRH landing his air ambulance in a neighbouring field!

Nothing exciting today.....but as I leaned on my hoe and admired the cloudless sky and the changing colours of the leaves glinting in the sunlight, I found myself hoping that life and limb will hang on in there for a while yet because I really, really don't want to live anywhere else.

It's not for everyone but living in the middle of nowhere is my idea of heaven.

merlotgran Wed 27-Sep-17 20:06:55

A friend's house was one of the early ones on Grand Designs. They then tried to sell it but with great difficulty because it was 'too quirky.'

They've emigrated grin

lemongrove Wed 27-Sep-17 19:09:11

Of course they just want to be on tv. Who can't find a house without a cameraman and presenter showing them just three houses??
We are always amazed by how many men claim they do all the cooking, and collect classic cars.Baffling.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 27-Sep-17 19:00:19

Dizzygran. To each his own and what a relief we are all different in what floats our boat.
Pre retirement our properties had all been city outskirts easy for business.Hated the traffic and noisy neighbours.
I was able to take early retirement .I went house hunting on the internet and came up with my get away from it all cottage.Now in my 'get away from it all' I am surrounded by a 'deafening' silence.If you know what I mean
Not everyone's choice but I love it. Sheer bliss.

BRedhead59 Wed 27-Sep-17 17:21:43

Why do they all want a kitchen island? I'd rather have a kitchen table the family can sit around.

123kitty Wed 27-Sep-17 17:07:16

How about the budget's up to £250,000 and the retired couple is then shown a house for £280,000. Where's the extra £30,000 supposed to come from.

paddyann Wed 27-Sep-17 17:02:33

we have a friend who was on Grand Designs and built a beautiful house with 6 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms,it had its own lake and was in a very rural area.Met here recently to find they'd upped sticks and moved to the city as "country life didn't suit us" As they were both city folk with teenage children I could have told her that before they started .

maddy629 Wed 27-Sep-17 16:46:08

Not many people seem to buy any of the houses. I know someone who went on 'Escape To The Country' not intending to buy a house, they just wanted a week in Cornwall and to be seen on the TV!!!

lesley4357 Wed 27-Sep-17 15:21:46

The phrase "gives them the space/garden/kitchen that they CRAVE" they don't crave it, they want it. Drives me mad.

Tessa101 Wed 27-Sep-17 15:11:12

I love noisying around the houses on these programs.