Gransnet forums

AIBU

I am totally sick and fed up with this!

(94 Posts)
phoenix Wed 04-Oct-17 20:52:05

Evening all, perhaps this should have been posted under the TV etc thread, but if I see one more couple on a TV property programme bloody holding hands I may either:

A) vomit

B) scream to the point where the neighbours call someone with a view to having me taken away

C) Throw something at the television.

It is so obvious that they have been asked/told to do it, some actually look quite uncomfortable!

It's not just Location, Location, Location, all the damn property programmes do it, why?

People can be a couple without actually having physical contact every time they walk down a street!

What happens when one needs the loo? Do they go together, still holding hands, (could make wiping difficult blush ) or does the other wait outside the door, having a panic attack until their hands are clasped together again?

Alima Wed 04-Oct-17 21:02:26

... and breathe.

Chill Phoenix.

merlotgran Wed 04-Oct-17 21:06:59

Yep! We shout at the screen as well. I can forgive them on Escape To The Country because a free holiday is probably worth jumping through a few hoops to please the producer which, lets face it, is bloody difficult when you're holding hands.

But......Homes under the Hammer?? Really??

'You hold the nail dear and I'll hit it. What do you mean, I'm not left handed? Stand still!'

Baggs Wed 04-Oct-17 21:39:30

Locate the off switch and apply it.

annsixty Wed 04-Oct-17 21:47:25

Exactly, I can't get exercised by such things , also I don't watch reality tv.

merlotgran Wed 04-Oct-17 21:51:58

That's us told then, phoenix

saunters off to pour a wine humming, 'Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum, de dum, de dum.'

Baggs Wed 04-Oct-17 21:55:32

Oh... so not totally sick and fed up with. I was misled by the thread title ?

polyester57 Wed 04-Oct-17 21:59:05

It´s not only the property-for-sale programmes, it´s the politicians who get me. Mrs. May doesn´t do it and neither does Mrs. Merkel, but the Macrons in France and the Trumps in the US and the Obamas before them and the Bushes and so on. I mean, really? Is this what the public expect? Probably. Otherwise the tabloids would come down on them like a ton of bricks and suggest they were on the brink of divorce. I find it quite odd. OH and I don´t hold hands anymore. Unless we´re crossing a busy road.

tanith Wed 04-Oct-17 22:03:36

OH and I often take each other's hand when out and about. It's just natural to us.

Ana Wed 04-Oct-17 22:08:41

And why not? What a strange thing to complain about...confused

Humbertbear Wed 04-Oct-17 22:45:20

Sorry but we have been together over 50 years and always hold hands. Why should we stop?

vampirequeen Wed 04-Oct-17 22:52:11

We always hold hands. I've never noticed it on those programmes but maybe that's because it's natural to me.

phoenix Wed 04-Oct-17 23:13:06

Oh dear, I have been misunderstood (again).

I have nothing wrong with couples holding hands, if that is what comes naturally to them, it's the awkward looking, walking down the street with the camera preceding them that riles!

Baggs and *Ana to respond to both of your comments in one post,

Baggs of course I could use the off switch, but I actually find the program quite interesting, apart from the aforementioned seeming forced hand holding for the camera!

Ana You say "what a strange thing to complain about" , I refer to up there ^^

hildajenniJ Wed 04-Oct-17 23:14:04

Likewise vq. DH and I hold hands regularly when we're out. I can't say I've noticed it on the property shows either. Bet I will now though.?

ninathenana Wed 04-Oct-17 23:50:05

I'm with you phoenix it's so false looking.

BTW H and I often hold hands when out. We have even been known to do it sitting watching TV shock but who would want to stand in front of a camera crew discussing moving a bathroom upstairs whilst holding hands

phoenix Thu 05-Oct-17 00:15:43

Thank you nina

BlueBelle Thu 05-Oct-17 07:36:46

My mum and dad who were married 70 years bar one day always held hands when out and about they were not a chocolate box couple by any means and could bicker and argue as much as the next couple but they always did hold hands when out
I don’t watch those programmes and it does sound a bit pucky to see on tv screens if it’s nothing to do with the contents of the programme mind you if it’s just when they walk down the street maybe that’s what they naturally do

M0nica Thu 05-Oct-17 07:54:56

Hands or no hands, I love Location x 3. Last night's couples were both ineffable ordinary and rather boring as were the houses they wanted to buy and their budgets, for the area they were looking at. That's the joy of the program. It is real,'ordinary' people unlike the really peculiar people posing as ordinary that you get on so many other reality tv programmes

NanKate Thu 05-Oct-17 07:56:21

I'm grateful to have my DH to hold hands with, one day one of us won't be there. sad

But I understand Phoenix that it irritates you. I hate seeing men with their trousers hanging half way down their bottom, also young women with their sleeves so long their fingers just poke out.

Smithy Thu 05-Oct-17 08:03:20

Well said Nankate!
Personally I think there are more important things to get het up about though.

Imperfect27 Thu 05-Oct-17 08:06:57

We all have our pet hates. I watched The Art Lovers Guide to Barcelona last night and the female presenter's manner simply irritated me - she seemed all bulging eyes and hand gesticulations that detracted from the magnificence around her ...but maybe it was me? hmm

DH and I sometimes hold hands in public - I guess the question re the locations programme is apparent 'spontaneity' or stage-managed? We will never know - seems they are damned if they do and damned if they don't by this measure ... but Phoenix I am quite handy with a shoe and a good aim too smile.

felice Thu 05-Oct-17 08:15:55

Slightly different but I always hold hands with DGS 5, when crossing the road.
I was going out for lunch with our Minister last week, luckily a good friend, and when we got to the traffic lights I said "handies" and took his hand !!!!
We looked at each other and burst out laughing, people were giving us very strange looks as we laughed our way across the road.

Tea and cake Thu 05-Oct-17 09:03:27

Felice brilliant! Mr T&C and I also think the TV hand holding a bit over the top, on the people who look uncomfortable with it. Of course, plenty of people do it naturally but plenty don't. And you can just imagine their discomfort...

Auntieflo Thu 05-Oct-17 09:37:36

Phoenix, I hadn't really noticed the hand holding, but the young couple, looking for a house in Goodrington?, I wanted to shake her. They didn't have the budget for the preferred area, but kept refusing the perfectly acceptable houses they were shown.

lemongrove Thu 05-Oct-17 09:38:00

Tbh hand holding by couples on tv doesn’t bother me, but the other day, the female blonde presenter of Escape To the Country, bent over the (older) couple and said “ can I call you The Sweethearts”? “Can I call you a patronising idiot?” Would have been my response, but then, they were being filmed, so settled for sickly smiles.
My annoyance is reserved for anybody who waves their hands about in a fanning motion and cries over a kitchen with an island in it and a belfast sink.?